Tuesday, January 17, 2017

2016 Player Review: Adam Morgan

Editor's Note: This is the 19th in a series of looks at the men who suited up for the 2016 Philadelphia Phillies. Aaron Nola was the last player profiled.

I have a soft spot for Adam Morgan. I like left-handed pitchers. I like players who work back from injuries. I like pitchers who don't walk anyone.

So I hoped Morgan would have a strong season in Philly. Instead, he got shipped out of town at the expense of Brett Applesauce Oberholzer. I didn't get that move when it happened.
Morgan eventually got called back to the big leagues for an April 29 start.
Morgan never got into a groove, ending up 2-11 with a repugnant 6.04 ERA and allowing 23 home runs in 113 innings.
He did, however, remain stingy with walks (2.3 per 9) and improved his strikeout numbers (7.5).
His velocity increased and it almost seemed like the 26-year-old couldn't harness it.
I don't think he's a bad pitcher. But I think he could be slightly better than his career has shown. It wouldn't shock me if, at some point, he put together a 12-10 season with a 4.20 ERA and a 3.76 FIP thanks to his low walks and about 7 strikeouts per 9.
Morgan is probably a little bit more than organizational filler at this point - because he has experience - but I don't see him fitting in with the team's long-term plans.

2016 grade: D
Will we see him again in 2017: Possibly.

4 comments:

GM-Carson said...

I was really rooting for Morgan last year. I was impressed with his rookie season and was hoping he'd improve upon. He did not, it was a major step back. He might be the next one DFA'd when the Michael Saunders contract becomes official.

Bob D said...

My bet is Luis Garcia is next. I read that the manager said he may be in bullpen as lefty/long man

ripjgarcia said...

Severino Gonzalez

GM-Carson said...

Severino Gonzalez likely doesn't have a future in MLB. He's a Quad-A type pitcher.

Reds just DFA'd Scott Selsky. Dude can hit. Hit all the way through the minor leagues and in his call-up last year. I'd like to see him snatched up. He can play outfield and firstbase. Good batting average/on base percentage guy.