Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Don't Trade Cole Hamels!

Cole Hamels made his MLB debut in 2006.  Since that time he's become a Top 10 starting pitcher.  Check out his MLB ranks.


Cole Hamels' MLB Ranks Since 2006:
Minimum 1000 IP
W - 104 (14th)
GS - 262 (9th)
CG - 13 (11th)
SHO - 6 (11th)
IP - 1719 (9th)
K - 1633 (4th)
ERA - 3.33 (10th)
WHIP - 1.14 (5th)
WAR - 33 (9th)
*Courtesy of FanGraphs.com

He's 30 years old and under team control through 2018 with an option for 2019.  He's part of the future should the Phillies plan on contending.  He's a proven commodity.  Why trade him for a bunch on unknowns?  We saw how that worked out with Amaro's Cliff Lee and Hunter Pence trades.   I know I've made fun of him in the past, but honestly, he's awesome.

The only players I care about not being traded, other than Cole, are Jimmy Rollins and Chase Utley.  Yes, I'm a sucker for nostalgia.  Truthfully though, Rollins won't get much of a return anyway, and Utely is still very productive.  Both have a slight chance at the Hall of Fame, and I'd like them to end their careers as Phillies.

Your opinion?

5 comments:

Andrew said...

Agree 100%. Cole, Jimmy, and Chase should be lifers, no matter what. They've earned it and are still earning it. Plus, if "rebuilding" is to happen, you need wise veterans around anyway.

Bob D said...

Trading Hamels and Utley are not moves I would like to see. However, if a team would give up an offer you cannot refuse (I don't see that happening) then I would say go for it. Rollins can be traded in my mind but if he stuck around another year the team could really use him as there is no one to take his place. Ruiz would be the other life long Phillie who I would be reluctant to trade.

Morak99 said...

Utley and Rollins, no fricking way. I'd be willing to let Hamels go for the moon (like a team's best three or three of four prospects), nothing less. The Phillies just are not going to be good for years, but if I know that Hamels, and all he's done for us, is still here, you bet I'm going to be watching at least every fifth game.

Chooch I'd like to stay but not as much as the other three- you're not taking a potential "lifer" hall of fame argument from him, but he was always a favorite of mine.

I would pay another team to take away Howard.

Beer-a-Thon said...

The Phillies can't give away Howard. Sad. Screw Amaro!

Bob D said...

Phillies fail to make a trade as Amaro failed to pay his phone bill and it was shut off.