Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Charlie Manuel is a Liar

When asked about whether to bat Jimmy Rollins leadoff or not, Phillies skipper Charlie Manuel replied with...

"I don't think you guys ever see the value in Jimmy Rollins. He's averaged 75-90 RBIs a year. That's what he averages. He scored [102] runs last year. Who's he knocking in? He's knocking in the eighth and ninth hitter. Why does he knock them in? Because he can hit doubles and triples and homers. That's why. He gets extra-base hits. Those guys [on base] are usually not good runners and they're slow, and they're not good baserunners.  We had Juan Pierre last year. You were always asking why Pierre didn't lead off? Because for me, Rollins is a better leadoff hitter. And you can say Pierre hit .300 and Rollins hit .250 or .260, but Rollins' .250 or .260 had more value to it than Pierre's .300.  He's been my leadoff hitter ever since I've been here. When I see Ben Revere hit and see him play, we'll sit down and talk about where he's going to hit and where he's going to help us the most. I've got an idea. We'll find out where we want him. Nobody is going to tell me where to hit somebody. I don't care who you are."

That's a lie!  Jimmy Rollins career thus far has been 13 MLB seasons.  Two of those seasons he missed considerable time, so I won't factor them in to the math.  That means in 11 years J-Roll has collected 747 RBI, for an average of 68 per season.  That is inflated due to his huge seasons of 2006 and 2007, when he knocked in 83 and 94.  I hate to beat a dead horse (that is sorta our thing here at WSBGMs), but Manuel is a freakin' idiot if he equates 68 RBI per season as an average of 75-90.  That's really bad math. 

I also find fault in his logic for batting J-Roll leadoff.  His OBP was .316 last year.  Juan Pierre's was .351, and he's equally fast.  Ben Revere is faster than Rollins and had and OBP of .333 last year.  I'd rather have Jimmy further down in the lineup, even perhaps in the 2-hole.  That would be a lot of speed in the top 2 spots of the lineup with the thunder of Utley and Howard following them.  Just a thought...

16 comments:

Ben said...

Even assuming we agree with Manuel's logic about the power, he would want Utley leading off. The fact that a guy like Manuel can hold a job should be told as a motivational tale in elementary school: you can do anything, kids!

SirAlden said...

I agree!

GM-Carson said...

U agree with me? Wow!

SirAlden said...

I agree with you alot.

J-Roll should bat 2nd or 6th.

Not when you are depressive.
We won 81 games last year
and the highest BA by a
Phillies regular was Jimmy Rollins
at .250

I think this should be a great year to root for the Phightin' Phils.

"Let's put another one in the WIN Column for the Phigtin' Phils."

Miss that announcer.

SirAlden said...

Revere's greatest value is trying to steal a double every time he gets on base.

Ben said...

Revere's OBP is poor for a leadoff hitter too, to be fair, although it's better than Rollins. I still like my Utley idea.

Jonathan Hilton said...

Charlie needs a Vacation ..His leadership cost the Phills more than a few games last year ..And a shot at the Series the year before !! Michael Jack would be a Popular replacement !

Beer-a-Thon said...

Ryne Sandberg is heir apparent to the Phillies managerial throne post-Fuqua.

Manuel is great with the players, but he's a horrible strategist.

Revere is still young and thinking he could get his OBP up to the .340-.350 is not unfathomable.

Rollins on the other hand will struggle to crack .300

Philly Pressbox said...

Couldn't disagree with Chalie any more. See the post we wrote on July 4 of last season. The opinion hasn't changed entering 2013. http://phillypressbox.wordpress.com/2012/07/04/calling-out-jimmy-rollins/

GM-Carson said...

Somebody on Yardbarker blasted this post and told me I should go root for another team if I do anything but praise the almighty Charlie Manuel. Also told me that I've likely been cut from every sports team I've ever tried out for.

He's a 2-time idiot.

1) Manuel will go down as the winningest Phils manager ever and will be looked back upon fondly, but that does not mean that if you're a Phillies fan that you're not allowed to think he's flawed. My post was dead on. He said it, I provided evidence to the contrary.

By this idiot's reasoning on Yardbarker that would mean you're never allowed to disagree or complain about the President of the United States of America, and if you do you should go move to another country and root for them.

2) I was good athlete, he has no idea what the hell he's talking about.

John A. naguski said...

Without a doubt Manuel has been the best mgr. the Phillies have ever had. So all you chuckleheads can knock success but you can't knock the facts.

Anonymous said...

This is a great post. When I read the original report I was astounded by just how silly Charlie comes out when spitting out this "logic". If I had a blog I most certainly would have re-iterated about everything you said.

I think Charlie is out of touch with the club these days and it is time to move on after the season. Perhaps even during if it goes like last. His loyalties just don't make good baseball sense and they have been his downfall.

GM-Carson said...

Charlie Manuel is the best manager in Phillies history because of the talented group of players he had on the team when they were in their primes. Notice what happened last season though...

GM-Carson said...

Phillies traded Schwimer to the Jays for a single-A first baseman that has an average iN the. 230's. Bad trade as Schwinn had great minor league numbers.

Anthony said...

FO has a grudge against Schwimmer for that DL incident. They were trying to make a point, I think.

Anonymous said...

Elyucw [url=http://hermeskelly.finniwolf.com][b]hermes store[/b][/url] hermes symbol http://hermeskelly.finniwolf.com Ptvrxz Gwdbrl hermes outlet