Monday, 1:10 - Tyler Cloyd v. John Cueto
Tuedsay, 7:10 - Oh no, it's KK v. Matt Latos
Wednesday, 12:35 - Roy Halladay v. Mike Leake
A week or two ago, this would have been an important series to help the Pirates. But the combination of some skidding Buccos and some red-hot Reds has made this series meaningless for the Buccos. And some recent failures by the Phils has made the series meaningless for everybody.
Consider this, one more win against the Mets and a win yesterday against the Braves would have the Phils six games out of the last Wild Card spot. The odds would have still been stacked against the Phils, but now at 8 back with less than 30 games to play, there's really no hope...
What To Watch For:
- Tyler Cloyd gets a tough matchup in his second start, but let's see if he can shake off those first-game jitters he had and put in a good effort. It's likely that Cloyd's one-point-whatever AAA ERA translates into a 4.50 career MLB ERA, but like Carson and I've said before, the guy has earned a few starts to prove he can't do it.
- A Darin Ruf sighting? Maybe?
- Michael Martinez is horrible. Still. His average and OPS are down to .122 and .380 respectively. Can he get his average below .100 for the season?
- Can KK continue his success? Will the internet explode when the previous sentence is published?
- Can Phillies catchers continue to be the best in baseball. Besides the excellent defense, Chooch and Kratz have combined for a .300+ average, 22 homers and 79 RBI.
If you're in the league, don't forget the draft is tonight at 9:45.
That's what she said. But hey, it's Labor Day, you shouldn't be wasting time reading blogs anyway! Go drink some cold ones, eat some grilled meat and enjoy the weather...