Thursday, August 23, 2012

Amaro Earns a Bit of Respect

"They haven't pitched a ton and they haven't played a ton. They've only played a couple weeks. They've done a nice job. I don't want to take away from the job they've done, but you have to understand that two weeks does not make or break you. I had a nice two weeks in my career, and then I stunk. I think these guys are probably better players than I am, but everybody likes to jump on the bandwagon, plus or minus. I think we have to show some patience there."
~Ruben Amaro Jr., Phillies GM
This statement was made in regards to the performances of Domonic Brown, Kevin Frandsen, Erik Kratz, and Jeremy Horst. Basically, he's saying calm down fans and don't get too high or too low on a guy based on only a month of action. In a season that has sucked for the most part, fans are in search of a good story and hope for the future. These four players provide that. Domonic Brown popped his first homerun of 2012 last night and upped his AVG/OPS to .282/.764, but only in 22 games/78 at bats. Kevin Frandsen is batting .358/.833, but only over 22 games/88 at bats. Erik Kratz has hit for power (.292/1.091) and played tremendous defense, but the sample size has only been 26 games/65 at bats. Jeremy Horst has a 1.06 ERA and 1.18 WHIP, but has only made 16 appearances totaling 17 innings. It's okay to get excited, but don't be heartbroken if some or all of these guys don't pan out.

The title to this post is Amaro Earns a Bit of Respect, and that comes from a particular part of his quote- "I had a nice two weeks in my career, and then I stunk."  Completely and utterly honest.  Now, if we could only get him to admit the same about his GMing.

9 comments:

Gregory L. Vince said...

Amaro had a good two weeks as a player?

Anonymous said...

I had Kratz scouted and on the team 2 spring trainings ago. Ruben and staff are too conservative.

GM-Carson said...

I agree, that Kratz should have been the backup catcher to Chooch since 2011. But hey, what do I know, I only think I should be a GM.

Bob D said...

My prediction: Kratz will be back up C, Brown starting OF, Horst will have to win a spot next year as lefty out of pen, and Frandsen will be lucky to make team as a utility IF for next year. Unfortunately for Frandsen, I feel that Mini Mart could hit .056 in spring training and still beat him out because they have some sort of Man-Love for him.
I want Pierre back for next year poss as starting CF (over Bourn).
I also want to see Amaro sign (or trade) for a top OF or 3B with power. Hamilton??? haft to pay an arm & a leg but for one last push over the next 2 years sure!

GM-Carson said...

Juan Pierre in CF is a HORRIBLE idea. His arm is one of the worst in baseball, so he's only suited for LF. That's why Manuel should be seeing if Brown could handle CF, although I'm doubting he could.

SirAlden said...

We need 2 Bullpen Arms
We need 2 Outfielders
We need a 3rd Baseman

We need no injuries to an older team net year.

If not we have a nice .500 Club

Beer-a-Thon said...

Sir Alden- this is unusual, but I agree with you.

Anonymous said...

Good win, so to keep things on the bright side for tonight...Phillies have overtaken the Mets for third place.

Bob S said...

IMHO, even with the small sample size, I am excited about these four and some others yet to get up to the bigs in September. Yes, I understand its a small sample size, but I am also intrigued by their attitudes. Not just happy to be here and collect a major league check, and not awe struck, they have some fire and look to prove something. Could it be that the attitude of their LHV manager has rubbed off on them?