Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Series Preview - Twins

Phillies (29-33) at Minnesota Twins (24-35)

Pitching Matchups:
Tuesday, 8:10 - Oh great, it's KK v. Nick Blackburn
Wednesday, 8:10 - Cole Hamels v. PJ Walters
Thursday, 8:10 - Oh no, it's Joe v. Scott Diamond

Twins Batting:
Runs - 245 (22nd)
Avg - .252 (17th)
Slug - .386 (22nd)


Josh Willingham is having a really good year (.289-11-41) and the Twins are getting solid efforts from Denard Span, Ben Revere and Ryan No-mitt.  Joe Mauer is doing okay but not nearly enough to justify that salary (see below.) Justin Morneau (.247, 11 homers) is a ‘nice’ hitter but his days as an MVP candidate are over. Trevor Plouffe (9 HR) provides isolated power but little else.

Twins Pitching:
ERA - 5.05 (29th)
WHIP - 1.39 (26th)
BAA - .283 (29th)

Their Danny Sandoval:
Danny Valencia - .190-1-11 after 100 at-bats.

Their Ryan Howard:
Joe Mauer - Mauer, like Howard, is a very good player. Also like Howard, I'd love to have him on my team. But also like Howard, his contract sucks. He had an absolute monster year in 2009 and won the MVP (.365-28-96) so the Twins rewarded the Minnesota kid with the largest contract ever given to a catcher and the fourth largest contract in history. $184 million over 8 years. Fourth largest in history!!! Two and a half years later, Mauer is now a part-time catcher who hits around .300 and has hit 15 homers since signing the deal. That's right, for $23 million a year the Twins get a C/DH that hits .300-10-75. And they also get to be financially crippled.

What I'm Listening To:
Hüsker Dü - My favorite Minnesota band is The Hold Steady but I'm going old-school today and jamming out to my second favorite Minny band, Hüsker Dü. (I know, I know, the Replacements are awesome, yada, yada, yada.) I'm just going to start at "Makes No Sense At All" on youtube and keep going from there. My favorite thing about Hüsker Dü, besides Bob Moulds guitar playing and the umlauts, is that the bass player totally looks like Luigi from the Super Mario Bros.

What I'm Drinking:
Elysian Brewing - The Immortal IPA. My friend flies in the National Guard and picked up one of these 22 ounce bottle for me when he was in Washington state. Finally, my tax dollars benefit me!

Magic Number Watch:
The Phillies magic number is too busy watching Pirates games...

Prediction:
Phils take two of three, and if they don't I'll never pick them to win a series the rest of the year.


10 comments:

GM-Carson said...

Twinkies take 2 of 3.

Sad, this I know.

Corey said...

wow, the elysian IPA is absolutely delicious. sweet, malty and refreshing up front. very balanced. refreshing (which i rarely find in an ipa). a bitter aftertaste that's strong enough but fades gently. a new favorite.

go phils.

Aaron said...

Hunter Pence is an automatic double play with a man on first. Fuck him he sucks. I don't want him on my favorite baseball team anymore.
Phillies suck

Beer-a-Thon said...

KK serves up a homerun to Denard Span. Really?

Oh, shit, there goes Plouffe. 3-0 Twins. Game over already.

Corey said...

here's how bad the phillies season is, i flipped from a replay of a soccer game to hgtv design star and then to the nba. the freaking nba! i'm watching the nba! jeebus, this sucks...

Corey said...

maybe i should start a wnba blog...

Beer-a-Thon said...

...or bring it back!

Beer-a-Thon said...

I wonder if Raul Valdes would suck as bad as Joe Savery does right now.

Mariner1 said...

If he ever gets back to the Seattle area, ask him the pick you up a bottle of Elysian's Men's Room Red. It is from a local radio station show and some of the sale goes to help veterans and their families. The taste of the beer is absolutely awesome. I usually have 1-2 a week!

Nonito said...

One way is by making your own face mask using natural ingredients that you can find at home. You have to get them from foods. The diet has also received positive consumer review from customers because of its high efficiency and no side effects.