Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Campaign Cheer 2 - Blogger Style !!!

Carson and I take a lot of heat because of the opinions espoused on this here blog. It comes with the territory, we get it. And frankly, we ask for it because we tell things the way they are. We aren’t Wheels and T-Mac blowing smoke up everyone’s rears from the booth. We aren’t Joe Schmoe Beat-writer, who can’t risk upsetting anyone and losing their access, without which he’d be nothing more than a glorified blogger. No, we are real fans who know a thing or two about baseball and aren’t afraid to lay it out there.

But occasionally the criticism gets to us. And recently, it’s gotten to me. Thanks to some terrifically terrific 'real' fans out there, I realize now that I am a ‘frontrunner.’ I’ve denied for too long. Sure, I’ve been a loyal Phillies fans since about 1985. You know, the ‘glory years.’ Sure I started a Phillies blog in 2006 when things were going GREAT for the Fightins. Sure I’ve spent hours watching and blogging about the Phillies for six years only taking a week or two off every year for vacation. I mean, it’s not like I had anything else to do with my time, like finish medical school and a residency, and get married and have a few kids, and run a small business and move houses twice and still have a social life. The facts are clear: I’m obviously a bandwagon-riding fraud who roots for the Phillies, Barcelona FC, Duke basketball, the Lakers, and Northwestern women’s lacrosse. (Look it up.) Why deny it any longer?

So, in light of my realization, I will be doing two things. One, as soon as the Phillies have two losing seasons in a row, I will resign from the blog and start blogging for whatever team is winning the NL East. And two, I will now be completely positive about everything because I have to fool all the readers into thinking I’m not a ‘frontrunner’ so we can maintain readership. (Got to keep the numbers up so the advertisers keep throwing mad cash our way…) Think of this as ‘Campaign Cheer .- Blogger Style.’ Anyways, here we go. Let’s Get Positive!

- Great effort by Blanton last night. ‘A’ for effort. He has given up eight home runs in his last three starts. But that’s okay because everybody loves home runs. Thanks for the entertainment Joe!

- Sure the Phils are in last place, but let’s look for the silver lining. If this continues for a few years, Citizens Bank Park will be far less crowded. Tickets will be very easy to obtain and the team may even reduce prices. People will be able to take their children to the ballpark more frequently and for less. You gotta love children being exposed to the National Past-time, right? Basically, the Phillies are losing for the benefit of our children. That is so nice of them!

- J-Roll is hitting like garbage but at least the Phillies only signed him to a three year contract worth about $30 million. They could have signed him to a seven year $100 million contract. That would have been horrible! Ruben Amaro is sooooooo smart for not giving J-Roll $100 million.

- Roy Halladay is out 6-8 weeks. That only means that he’ll be super fresh for the playoffs! Enjoy the two months off Roy, we’ll see you in the first round come September!

- Cole Hamels is the Phillies best pitcher but is set to become a free agent at the end of the year. Thankfully the Phillies haven’t signed him to an extension because I love free agent rumors and seeing where the best players sign. What else is there to read about in the Winter? And if he does go to another team, the Phils will get a draft pick. Gotta love rebuilding from the minors, right? That player will be another great reason to support the farm teams and someday could even be as good as somebody like Cole Hamels. How exciting!

That's a pretty good start, I think. I may wear out my exclamation point key though!!! Lol!!! See all you great fans later. Keep it real.... real positive!!!!

23 comments:

SirAlden said...

The Greatest Fear is Fear Itself.

Imagine 1964 to 1974
Imagine 1984 to 2004

Love you Corey, everything is going to be ok.

SirAlden said...

That's 32 years.

Anthony said...

Seriously though. We have no idea how lucky we are Ruben didn't sign Jimmy for $100 million.

Sam said...

Raul Valdes makes me happy.

Bob D said...

Is Adam Eaton available as a spot starter for two months? He has potential

Bob D said...

We should be front runners

Shaggy said...

I am new to the blog, only about a week or two in, and so far I have found your blog both informative and entertaining. And to be hoinest that's what I think a great blog is. Stick to what works for you, what you think is right and how you honestly feel (hindsight is always 20/20). I know I enjoy reading We Should Be GMs on the daily. Please keep up the great work and tell those "richards" to Beat-it!

Imafan said...

I envision some dark times for this franchise. They swung and missed last year with their version of the "dream team". Now all these obscene contracts and injuries are catching up with them. If they are more than 7 games out at the break I seriously hope that Rube starts doing some selling and restocks the farm to save the near future from complete disaster.

Corey said...

i'm in a real conundrum right now. i want the phillies to win tonight, but i see now how losing can positively impact my life. it makes me appreciate winning more. and the adversity allows me to practice my patience, relaxation, and positive thinking. and if losing can lead to such awesome personal advancement, it has to be good, right? i mean, who needs fundamentally sound enjoyable baseball and winning when you can have losing and introspective self-improvement? am i right?

oh phillies, regardless of your outcomes, i'm just so thankful that you exist for the enjoyment and betterment of all 'real' fans, which hopefully includes myself.

yeah!

Andrew said...

Perhaps one of my favorite all-time WSBGMs posts

Corey said...

thank you. that means a lot. it makes me feel good, almost as good as watching a $9 mil/year pitcher carry and ERA over 7 for an entire month. now that's impressive.

i would like to blog more, but since i re-joined the bandwagon recently, the other riders are making me do work, like give the wagon a new coat of paint, rotating the tires, and pulling Carson's mouth off of the exhaust pipe.

Ben said...

It's all good. I do believe our farm system is nowhere near as bad as people say it is and contention won't be light years away. So buck down, and find an AL team to watch for a couple of years if you need to see a winning club, and we'll all continue being great Phans.

Corey said...

i've already bought a jeter jersey...

Corey said...

and that was a bullshit penalty against the usa against brazil. oh wait, i'm a bandwagoner... go brasil!!!

GM-Carson said...

This is the best team ever. They still have a winning record despite all the adversity. All the little guys are coming through big time and making this season so enjoyable.

Oh thank you Phillies for being the light at the end of my day.

Much love.

GM-Carson said...

Cliff Lee will go into June without a win this season.

No worries. All good in the hood.

Beer-a-Thon said...

Joking aside- Jose Contreras looks healthy and he's pitching great of late. His pitches has so much movement when he's on.

Squintoon said...

Hate to say this, but I agree with almost everything you all have said so far. Something has to change!

14d418e8-aace-11e1-88ca-000bcdcb2996 said...

it's not even june, people... relax... at worst, make the 2nd wild card & see what happens... signed, lifelong phillies phan since 1979... mind you, i was busy learning to not sh*t myself from my birth in 1973 to 1979...

14d418e8-aace-11e1-88ca-000bcdcb2996 said...

also, LOVE your blog... don't stop after we eventually have two consecutive winning seasons...

14d418e8-aace-11e1-88ca-000bcdcb2996 said...

don't mean to flood your comments, but you can find me on facebook... todd farrell from iowa city, ia... i will friend you to hear you (dis)agree with me...

Ben said...

If this team contends, Carlos Ruiz and Cole Hamels are picking up hardware this fall, that's for sure.

GM-Carson said...

Cole Hamels might pick up hardware this fall regardless of the team's finish. The Cy Young award isn't leaned upon as heavily as the MVP award for being on a division winner.