Thursday, February 09, 2012

Michael Schwimer is a Conflicted Man/Fan

From pop culture/sports blog- Grantland:
My dad was born and raised in the heart of New York City. He is a diehard fan of the Yankees, Giants, and Knicks. Just like any other kid with a diehard New York sports fan dad, I was brainwashed from a very early age to live and die with New York sports. My dad and I bond the most over sports and going to events. We went to Lambeau Field for the 2007 NFC Championship game, and now to this Super Bowl.

Long story short, I got drafted by the Phillies, and got called up for a month and a half this past season. My love for the Yankees has disappeared but my love for the Giants and Knicks is as strong as ever. I also have fallen in love with the city of Philadelphia and truly believe they are the best baseball fans in the country. The last thing I ever want to do is lose support from these fans, but I love the Giants. So am I allowed to outwardly root for the G-MEN or do I have to keep that to myself because I happen to be employed by the Phillies?

— Michael S

"Michael S" is none other than the Philadelphia Phillies relief pitcher Michael Schwimer. Question 1- What the hell is he thinking professing his love for New York teams while in the Phillies organization? Question 2- the Knickerbockers...really?!

It's obvious Schwimer is a conflicted man/fan and wants to remain in good graces in Philly while still supporting teams from the Evil Empire. Step 1 to ensuring that happens is to pitch well when given the opportunity. Step 2- don't speak another word of affection towards the state of New York, the city of New York, and especially any New York teams. God speed Michael Schwimer, may the ire of Philly not begrudge you for your lack of better judgement.

14 comments:

Preserve Jon said...

I just read this!

Scwimm needs to man up and wear his colors with pride. (Well not blue pinstripes). He's allowed to be a Gints fan, just don't do a post-game locker room interview while wearing a Big Blue hat.

GM-Carson said...

I actually have no problem with him liking other teams outside of Philly. I do fear that it will bring him public criticism though.

Fuhs said...

Can't blame him. If the Mets suddenly wanted a 6'0 145lb 27 year old who hasn't played since T ball... (I think I qualify as their starting 2B actually...) I wouldn't be able to cheer for a NY team.

jeff said...

When he spweds more time in philly hell learn to love the iggles and 6ers

GM-Carson said...

As long as he pitches well, I could give a shit if he is gay/straight, democrat/republican, or a Giants/Eagles fan.

SirAlden said...

Kinda describes you GM-Carson

A gay/straight, democrat/republican.

SirAlden said...

I guess me too.

SirAlden said...

Without the gay/republican sh*t.

Beer-a-Thon said...

Straight democrat you are...hmmm.

I'll choose to stay out of a political debate. We love baseball, lets leave it at that.

Bob D said...

No politics. Just Phils BB. LOL

Bring us a World Championship and we will overlook this NY thing ya have Michael

C.M.R. said...

well heck if you're gonna bring politics and baseball together, baltimore's one place that could use it cause their team is owned by someone that i would consider a "1%"

occupy camden yards!

back on topic i kinda hope the criticism he'll probably get from irate folks about liking new york teams doesn't affect his ability to pitch. i kinda liked the potential i saw in him in '11 and i hope he does a lot better in a full season.

GM-Carson said...

Schwimer has a bright future ahead of him. I'm thinking elite set-up man eventually, like Madson was.

Bob D said...

Should be part of a good 2013 bullpen:
Papelbon
Bastardo
Stutes
DeFratus
Aumont
Schwimmer

Thats a young but very good bullpen. I would not be surprised if someone ends up traded if the Phils need to fill a roster spot. And they will likely have a veteran or two in the mix (Willis, or other)

Missy said...

I love the fact that as a Yankees fan he as obviously defected...yet we refused to give him credit for that...any player that grew up loving another team and has recanted that love by determining that Philly does have the best fans is...okey dokey in my book...as long as he stops pointing to the sky when he gives up home runs..