Over the next week or so, WSBGMs will be ranking each position from the NL East from the 2011 season. Yesterday it was the backstops, today position #3 on the diamond, the first basemen.
Stats- AVG/OPS, Runs, Doubles and Homeruns or Extra Base Hits, Runs Batted In, and Offensive Wins Above Replacement.
2011 NL East First Basemen Rankings:
1. Michael Morse/Nationals .303/.910, 73 R, 36 DBL, 31 HR, 95 RBI, 3.9 OWAR.
2. Ryan Howard/Phillies .253/.835, 81 R, 30 DBL, 33 HR, 116 RBI, 2.6 OWAR.
3. Gaby Sanchez/Marlins .266/.779, 72 R, 35 DBL, 19 HR, 78 RBI, 2.0 OWAR.
4. Freddie Freeman/Braves .282/.795, 67 R, 32 DBL, 21 HR, 76 RBI, 1.7 OWAR.
5. Daniel Murphy/Mets .320/.809, 49 R, 36 XBH, 49 RBI, 1.8 OWAR.
Notes- Murphy was a fill-in for Ike Davis, who is set to return in 2012, with Murphy shifting to 2nd or 3rd base. Sanchez is the only one of this group who plays good defense, as Freeman and Morse each had negative DWAR, with Howard breaking even. Howard's injured Achilles coupled with Freeman's maturation (only 22), Davis returning for a broken ankle, and Sanchez moving into a new ballpark with more runners on base in front of him (Jose Reyes), could shake up the 2012 rankings.