Over the next week or so, WSBGMs will be ranking each position from the NL East from the 2011 season. First up, the men who don the tools of ignorance, the catchers.
Stats- AVG/OPS, Runs, Homeruns or Extra Base Hits, Runs Batted In, Offensive Wins Above Replacement, and Caught Stealing.
2011 NL East Catcher Rankings:
1. Brian McCann/Braves .270/.817, 51 R, 24 HR, 71 RBI, 3.2 OWAR, 22% CS.
2. Carlos Ruiz/Phillies .283/.754, 49 R, 29 XBH, 40 RBI, 2.7 OWAR, 23% CS.
3. Wilson Ramos/Nationals .267/.779, 48 R, 15 HR, 52 RBI, 2.2 OWAR, 32% CS.
4. Josh Thole/Mets .268/.690, 22 R, 20 XBH, 40 RBI, 1.1 OWAR, 21% CS.
5. John Buck/Marlins .227/.683, 41 R, 16 HR, 57 RBI, 1.0 OWAR, 17% CS.
Notes- Ruiz and Ramos were the only two with positive DWAR (Defensive Wins Above Replacement), but McCann is the best by far at the position (one of the top catchers in the game). Thole lost a lot of time to Ronny Paulino, but is the incumbent for the 2012 season. Other than Thole getting more at bats, the rest of the pack looks to remain the same with Ramos possibly surpassing Ruiz in the rankings with an improved offensive campaign.