Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Wednesday Morning Bench Coach

Phillies News
Nothing. It's Christmas, what do you expect. So, on to useless stuff...

Fantasy Football
Congratulations to me for being awesome at fantasy football and winning the blog league for the third year a row. Now, if baseball would only play once a week and teams would rarely change closers, I might have a chance at the baseball title.

RA Dickey
I don't know how I missed this before, but RA Dickey is climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro to raise awareness for the "Bombay Teen Challenge, an organization that rescues and cares for women and girls in Mumbai who are at risk of being abused and exploited."

The Mets are less than thrilled. They've informed his agent that if Dickey is hurt during the climb his contract will be voided. That makes sense. There's better ways to "raise awareness," many of which don't carry the risks that come with climbing a giant mountain. Whatever. He's a Met. I could care less. What caught my eye was the "Bombay Teen Challenge."

"Bombay Teen Challenge" sounds more like a game show on Nickelodeon than an anti-child prostitution advocacy group. And why the hell does RA Dickey feel the need to "bring awareness" to this group. With all of the problems in the world, how has he singled out the Mumbai sex trade as his personal cause? Wasn't there anything "close to home" that he could help? Don't get me wrong, I'm not for child sex trafficking, but there are problems and issues in America that could use some celebrity (I think Mets count as celebrities) endorsement. He could probably raise a bunch of money for Leukemia/Lymphoma Society or another similar group. Instead, he's going to make people go, "Wow, that's a horrible thing happening to those girls in Mumbai. Glad I don't live there."

But whatever. What he's doing is still better than what 95% of professional athletes in the country contribute to society. Good luck to Dickey on his climb. I hope he gets back safely so the Phils can rough him up next summer.

"More" ATJ...


Booze and Music
If you're looking for a cheap all-purpose Scotch for your liquor cabinet and you reach for a bottle of Johnnie Walker Red Label, put it down, and keep walking (Pun!)

Red Label is not the worst thing I've ever drank (it's better than Old Grand Dad Bourbon, for whatever that's worth) but it's usefulness is limited to shots and heavily mixed cocktails. As an alternative, go with Ballantine's Finest Scotch ($16.99 at the state store). Ballantine's is far from a fine spirit, but it will do nicely for all your low-end Scotch needs.

As for the music, try Canadian rock band The Sheepdogs. They have this southern / boogie rock, Allman Brother, Foghat kind of sound. If music like this ever became real popular, these guys would be huge. But it's 2012 and they don't use synthesizers, auto-tune and they don't dance, so...

Awesome
This makes me smile.They suck.

Milledge, Swallows
Former Met and Pirate Lastings Milledge was signed yesterday by the Yakult Swallows of the Japanese pro league. Hmm, no joke here. Nope. None. Here's wishing Milledge resurrects his career and comes back to the Majors some day. A future Phucco, maybe?

Bowl Games
I hope every sports fan is enjoying the exciting college football out there. Belk Bowl. Independence Bowl. This is some fantastic stuff. I'm soooooooo glad I don't have to sit through playoff football games. That would suck.

The Unsigned
It's almost 2012 and a few big names are still on the free agent board.

Here's hoping Prince Fielder signs with the Mariners and disappears in the obscurity of the Pacific Northwest and the American League.

As for former Phillies, The Next Mariano Rivera (aka Ryan Madson) is being linked with the Red Sox and the Angels, where he would set-up / share closing duty with Jordan Walden. And bulky-backed Roy Oswalt is in the mix for a one year deal with any number of teams. But regardlesss of who he signs for, he'll likely not do much damage to the Phillies next October when he'll likely be on the disabled list.

5 comments:

GM-Carson said...

What the hell is Dickey doing? A noble cause for sure, but why him, why there? Mets are worried because he's their best pitcher (sadly enough).

Bob D said...

I can understand the Mets point here. I was told when I was gonna participate in the flamming bungee jumping for people who lack commonsense fundraiser, my employer told me I won't get paid anymore if I die during said event.

GM-Carson said...

Wow, your employer is a real jerkwad!

SirAlden said...

Thanks...4...the...Sheepdogs.

Kickback...and...listen...to...

"Eat-A-Peach"

BestEver

Buy Runescape Gold said...

I will understand the Mets level here. I had been told while i has been gonna participate in the particular flamming horseriding for individuals that absence easy fundraiser, our boss said I cannot receive money anymore basically expire through stated function.