Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Wednesday Morning Bench Coach


D-train Baby!
During last season, I wrote this in the comment section about Dontrelle Willis:

"it's hard to believe that a pitcher that young and that good (and left handed) could fall so fast and stay down for so long. it is really quite a shame because he was a lot of fun to watch. and he could hit, too.

he was one of my favorite players to watch for a year or two. i've been rooting for him to get back. also, last year i bought a home marlins willis jersey on ebay for like $5. i haven't worn it yet. i'm saving it for twenty years from now..."

F#@& twenty years, I'm breaking that jersey out now!

I'm very excited about this signing. The crooked cap. The exaggerated delivery. The high walk rate. I want it all!

More ATJ...



More CBA Details
Two weeks ago I bitched about the horrible economic disadvantages in the new CBA. Today, just a few silly but interesting details, like:

- replay will be expanded to include fair-or-foul calls, whether a fly ball or line drive was trapped and fan interference all around the ballpark

- there will be a ban on commercial tattoos

- The All-Star break will go from three to four days

There are some other less interesting things too. Players can be fined for "throwing balls or equipment at non-uniformed personnel, or for violating the "social media" policy and for conduct "materially detrimental or materially prejudicial to the best interests of baseball." Whatever. None of this really affects us as fans... except the replay business. And that's the part I don't like.

Here's what I think about replay - it's an all or nothing proposition. Why replay fair/foul but not whether a player was safe at first? Why replay trapped/caught but not whether a baserunner was safe at second on a steal attempt?

MLB wants move into the 21st century by utilizing technology and having calls be as correct and "fair" as possible, yet they want to protect the tradition of the game, which includes large amounts of human (umpire) error. But their half-ass replay rules leaves no one satisfied.

I would prefer to have an NFL type replay system where a manager can "challenge" two calls per game. This would eliminate the lengthy argument/confrontation delays. (Although it would also eliminate those hilarious Fuqua hissy-fits...) It would eliminate the one or two horrible calls that can turn games.

The system as is allows for the correction of calls while still allowing for obviously wrong calls to stand. Stupid.

Booze & Music
I hate Christmas. And I really hate Christmas music. Unfortunately for me, I'm the only one in the house that feels this way. So, if Christmas music must be played, I reach for the Canned Heat: Christmas Album. When I got the blues, I listen to the girls.

As for the booze, drink whatever it takes to get you through this horrible season. Vodka. Listerine. Antifreeze.

Ryan Braun
Cheater. Forget the Hall of Fame. Give back your MVP. And you're an ass.

"I would never do it because if I took steroids, I would hit 60 or 70 home runs."

Nice.

Of course, Braun will have the last laugh. Missing fifty game will cost him a little less than $2 million dollars. The remaining $125 million is safe. The Brewers can't void his steroid soaked contract. It's guaranteed money. Maybe MLB should have addressed this issue in the CBA instead jacking over the Pirates and worrying about tattoos.

Fence-Face to Florida
The Miami Marlins signed Aaron Rowand to a minor league contract. Good for him but I'm pretty sure he's done. Here are his batting averages the last five years: .309, .271, .261, .230 and .233. And here are his OPS percentages: .889, .749, .738, .659, and .621. Yup, done.

Brawl
I'm sure everybody saw the Xavier-Cincy brawl on Saturday. Love me some brawling!

Reaction has been across the board. From "kids being kids" to "the worst thing ever." You know the media's routine. Interesting take from ESPN's Myron Medcalf though:


"I figured some ignorant folks would push the 'that's what young black men do' stereotypes. And I worried about words like 'thugs' and 'gangs' that the same sort of people threw out on the internet after the brawl."

"Ignorant folks on the internet?" Brawl participant Tu Halloway had this to say after the incident, "That’s what you’re going to see... We got disrespected a little bit before the game. We’re grown men over here. We got a whole bunch of gangstas in the locker room, not thugs but tough guys. And we went out there and zipped them up... That’s our motto: Zip ‘em up. And that’s what we just did to them."

Umm, who's ignorant again?

8 comments:

GM-Carson said...

1. I'm disgusted with Braun. Matt Kemp should be allowed to take the MVP from him...thought he deserved it anyway. Brewers took a beating this offseason by losing Fielder and now Braun (albeit for just 50 games).

2. I love Christmas Scrooge McCorey.

3. Aren't Xavier and Cincy pretty much thugged out basketball programs?

Corey said...

whoa, whoa, whoa. you can't call them "thugged out." thas raycess.

kemp deserved the mvp anyway. and at least the brewers have a-ram.

GM-Carson said...

Oops, my bad. Should I have refered to them as "misunderstood citizens that have difficulty conforming to the norms of society"?

Corey said...

thank you.

Bob D said...

Just for the record, I hate basketball just as much as Scrooge McCorey hates Christmas. Maybe little Cindy-Lou-Who will show you what Christmas is all about and your heart will grow 2 sizes bigger.

The Willis signing is a good low risk/high reward type. Can he put it together and regain his form??? Its been several years, so its not highly likely.

Screw political correctness - its just a bunch of hog wash - say it like it is!!!

Merry Christmas!

GM-Carson said...

My only problem with the deal is guaranteeing Willis money. Couldn't a minor league deal have gotten it done?

SirAlden said...

It is not guaranteeed.

He can be dropped after Spring Training for 1/6 Salary.

Aaron said...

The longer Rollons holds out for more $$ the less I want him. Sign your 3 year contract and try RUNNING to first base this time.