Bullpen Trust Rankings:
1. Antonio Bastardo 5-0, 1.48 ERA, 0.72 WHIP, 52 G, 48.2 IP, 16:57 BB:K, 14 HLD, 8 SV, and has only allowed 19 hits for a .119 average against. Tony Bastard's mound presence is mature, intimidating, and determined. Love it!
2. Ryan Madson 3-2, 3.25 ERA, 1.22 WHIP, 45 G, 44.1 IP, 14:47 BB:K, 23 SV, 3 HLD. He's been solid aside from that horrific blown save against the Nationals. The sooner he goes out there and picks up a clean save the better.
3. David Herndon 1-2, 3.61 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, 34 G, 42.1 IP, 10:28 BB:K, and 4 HLD. Was horrible before his deserved demotion to the minors, but has steadily climbed the bullpen ladder of trust since being recalled. Continues to drop ERA from season's highpoint on July 6th- 5.14. Has not allowed a run in his last 9 outings (10.2 IP).
4. Brad Lidge 0-1, 2.25 ERA, 1.63 WHIP, 11 G, 8 IP, 7:9 BB:K, 1 SV, 3 HLD. Control isn't there and that means inconsistency from one appearance to the next. Still capable of the big K though, which is a valuable weapon in relief.
5. Michael Schwimer has only made 1 appearance, but needs more looks, because he could be a secret weapon come playoffs.
6. Michale Stutes 5-1, 3.75 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, 45 G, 48 IP, 22:43 BB:K, 7 HLD. The rookie looks like a rookie, and one that might not belong in the Majors at that. His numbers remain decent due to his impressive honeymoon, but now this relationship has gone stale. He has a future with the Phillies, but it might not be on the their 2011 playoff roster.
*Raul Ibanez and Ryan Howard are both day-to-day with minor nagging aches and pains.
*Ben Francisco is alive...who knew? In a rare start, he went 3-3 with a walk. Maybe Raul's gimp groin is a good thing. Gives the old man some time off and The Ben Francisco Treat some at bats.
*Clearwater Thresher Trevor May has struck out 197 batters this season. It's time to promote him for a couple Double-A starts to end the year.
*John Mayberry Jr. should get the majority of starts in LF heading forward, and not just against lefties. His bat is more valuable than Ibanez', as is his defense and base running. Raul becomes a spot starter against tougher righties and the left-handed pinch hitter that Manuel has been seeking since Gload became pointless.
*Cole Hamels trip to the DL is merely procedural. He'll be activated for his start this coming Monday.
*Jose Contreras will have season ending elbow surgery. Gotta think his career may be over too seeing his elderly age and all.