Wednesday, March 23, 2011

It Has To Be Said, At Least Once A Year

One week and one day. That is all I have left of my personal hell that is Spring Training. I hate Spring Training.

I hate looking forward to Spring Training. When do pitchers and catchers report? Who the #$%& cares? What good does that do? It only signals the start of having minor league invitees and AAA players playing boring, meaningless games for over a month.

Notice I said "having" them play and not "watching" them play because I refuse to watch that garbage. This year I accidentally watched two at-bats. That's it. And I won't watch any until next Friday. Don't even try to sell me on the On Deck Series. That's just lipstick on a pig.

I hate that there is nothing to talk about during Spring Training. Who will play right field? Who cares. Will Joe Blanton get traded? No, but we'll talk about it anyway, at least for a little while, until it's once again time to talk about Chase Utley and his knee. Every day, it's Chase Utley and that knee. And sweet Jeebus if he gets put on the DL soon...

I hate that people try to take meaning from Grapefruit League statistics. It's practice. You want to analyze practice, "Spring Training Stat Loser," then go collect data on batting practice or guys taking fungo grounders hit by the third base coach.

I hate that they are called the Cactus and Grapefruit Leagues for no other reason than it legitimizes practice.

I hate that I'm not at Spring Training. I like Clearwater/Tampa. And it's cold as shit in Pennsylvania in March.

I just hate Spring Training. That's all. Thanks for listening.

13 comments:

GM-Carson said...

I've been poking the dragon and finally it blew fire.

Thanks for the rant Corey. Took ya long enough.

Corey said...

tomorrow i aim my fire at andy martino...

Anonymous said...

it has actually been pretty spectacular this week down here!!

Corey said...

you suck.

my parents spend a week and a half earlier this month in clearwater. i won't talk to them until next friday...

ripjgarcia said...

Elizabeth Taylor > Libya > Japan > Charlie Sheen > Spring Training

That's just the way the world works.

/yawn

GM-Carson said...

Will Elizabeth Taylor be this year's Bea Arthur on WSBGMs?

ripjgarcia said...

Now look what I started

GM-Carson said...

You know we need a martar.

GM-Carson said...

Castillo is O-2, cut him!

GM-Carson said...

Manny Ramirez smoked a linedrive up the middle and hit Oswalt near the head. Roy was removed for precautionary reasons.

Corey said...

"near the head"

would that be the neck?

jetrowarriors.com said...

As we post this!!!

http://www.jetrowarriors.com/?p=112

Jack said...

yeah but spring training isn't as bad as football training camp....that's the worst--at least in baseball starters play MORE as it closer to the season..in football its the reverse. You get all these undrafted free agents and 12th round picks playing a WHOLE game the week before the real season.