Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Cliff Lee Loves the Phillies


Ruben Amaro Jr. is some sort of evil mastermind. Since becoming the Phillies GM he's been able to accrue aces Roy Halladay, Roy Oswalt, and Cliff Lee (twice!). Yep, Clifton Phifer Lee is back in Philly. He never wanted to leave and came back as soon as he got the chance. He turned down more money and more years from the Rangers and Yankees to come back to the City of Brotherly Love. He loves Philly and we love him.

The contract is reportedly for 5 years and in the $120M range, with a vesting option for a 6th season. This gives the Phillies the best rotation in baseball without question- Halladay, Oswalt, Lee, and Hamels. Because of money constraints it appears Joe Blanton will be dealt (rumored to the Red Sox). That Amaro is one crafty bastard. That leaves Kyle Kendrick and Vance Worley competing for the 5th spot in the rotation. If I were Rube, I'd trade away most of the bullpen too, because with those 4 workhorses anything earlier than the 8th inning becomes obsolete.

This Lee deal sends shockwaves throughout baseball, as it seemed a foregone conclusion that he would sign with the highest bidder. Well, turns out Lee wanted well paid, but he also wanted to go somewhere he knew he'd thrive. Yankees fans must be thinking this is some sort of practical joke or an effed-up episode of the Twilight Zone. Phillies fans have to be ecstatic (I know this one is).

*Special Note- Back in the 1920's there was another Cliff Lee who played baseball, and he too was a Phillie.


*Picture stolen from Facebook

12 comments:

furiousBall said...

I'm not sure we even need position players this year with this rotation. WOW!

GM-Carson said...

I'm still in shock.

GM-Carson said...

Hopefully the Phils don't eat too much of Blanton's contract. He's still owed $17M over the next 2 seasons, but I think he'd get nearly that on the open market.

If he goes to the BoSox, I'm hoping they send a bullpen arm and Mike Cameron in return. Cameron is older, but plays great defense and would help ease Dom Brown into a starting role.

GM-Carson said...

Remember not too long ago Scott Rolen couldn't wait to get out of here and J-Roll was saying that he knew free agents didn't want to come here.

Yeah, how's that now?

GM-Carson said...

Saw this on Facebook- "H20 with a splash of LEEmon". Corny, but I like it.

Preserve Jon said...

Best....Photoshop...Ever

Preserve Jon said...

I like the Cameron idea Carson, especially since the Sox just signed Crawford. I'm a little wary of Cameron because of the steroid suspension and because he has a lot of miles.

I think the Lee acquisition actually takes some pressure off of Brown. Unlike the Eagles, the Phils shouldn't have to score in bunches to win games. Good pitching takes care of a hole in the lineup.

ACSmitty79 said...

OHMIGOD
OHMIGOD
OHMIGOD
OHMIGOD

Utility Derek said...

I am still in shock. What balls the phillies have. You have to wonder....was it the yankees fans bashing of lees wife that caused him to leer away from them. I see the phillies winning 104 games. Carson...wish you were at work today.

GM-Carson said...

I wish I were at work today too. I'm sick as hell, but gotta admit this news about Lee made me feel better.

The Phils rotation is amazing. If Francisco/Brown/Gload can generate enough offense in Werth's absence and some of J-Roll, Utley, and Howard have bounce back years there's no reason for the Phils not to win 100+ games.

ACSmitty79 said...

@ Carson...i'm home sick today too, but this acquisition actually got me outta bed!

Reverend Paul Revere said...

It's like the day after we wont he world series minus the horrid hangover. I can't stop smiling.