Wednesday, July 07, 2010

My Favorite Pirate

John Smiley. Really? Yes. John Smiley. When I was a kid I followed his career very closely and thought he was one of the best pitchers in the Majors. I was mostly wrong, but for one season - 1991 - he was pretty damn good. That year he won 20 games for the Pirates while sporting a 3.08 ERA and a 1.15 WHIP. Smiley was an all-star that year and finished 3rd in the Cy Young balloting. 1991 was his final year in Pennsylvania though, as he was traded to Minnesota for prostitute hound Denny Neagle. Then in 1993 he signed with the Reds where he remained until part way through the '97 season and was once again traded this time to Cleveland where he ended his career that same season. In 12 seasons he won 126 games and posted a 3.80 ERA. Far from spectacular, but I was a kid and was drawn to the name...Smiley, makes you feel warm and cozy. He does look a bit pissy on this baseball card though. Smiley was born in Phoenixville, PA...not far from Philly.

Thoughts:
*This is my 3rd and final Pirates post...excruciating.

*3 hits in 11 innings for the Phils is pathetic. They suck.

*Jamie Moyer- 267 wins, Kris Medlen- 8 wins. Jamie Moyer- 47 years old, Kris Medlen- 24 years old. What's the correlation? Nothing, just wanted to post it.

2 comments:

Matty said...

One of my co-workers was married to his sister. Lots of stories about him.

GM-Carson said...

Matty- I'd love to hear them!