Monday, July 12, 2010

American Pie - Cliff Lee Remix

A long, long time ago...
I can still remember
How the Phillies used to make me smile.
And I knew if they had one chance
They’d win and make the Phanatic dance
And, maybe, I’d be happy for a while.

But December made me shiver
With every paper they’d deliver.
Bad news on my doorstep;
I couldn’t take one more step.

I can’t remember if I cried
When I heard where he will reside,
But something touched me deep inside
The day Cliff Lee went bye.

So bye-bye, Cy Young lefty Cliff Lee.
Drove me to insanity,
Seattle got him for free.
And them good old blogs were writing “How?” and “Why?”
Singin’, "this’ll be the day the playoffs die."
"this’ll be the day the playoffs die."

Would you try to restock the farm,
And do you have faith in Moyer’s arm,
If Amaro tells you so?
Do you believe in the hit and run,
Did Ibanez lose it in the sun,
And Fuqua walks to the mound real slow.

Well, I know that you’re in love with Roy
`cause I saw you jumpin’ up for joy.
You both kicked off your shoes.
Why were you guys at the zoo?

I was a lonely middle-aged blogging schmuck
With a Dell computer and a pickup truck,
But I knew I was out of luck
The day the playoffs died.

I started singin’,
So bye-bye, Cy Young lefty Cliff Lee.
Drove me to insanity,
Seattle got him for free.
And them good old blogs were writing “How?” and “Why?”
Singin’, "this’ll be the day the playoffs die."
"this’ll be the day the playoffs die."

Now for three months we’ve been on our own
And division domination has long been blown,
But that’s not how it had to be.
When Harry the K sings his classic song,
About the ant that’s going strong,
It’s a voice that pleases you and me.

Oh, and while Harry was looking down,
Seattle stole our Cy Young’s crown.
All the Phils fans were concerned;
No good players were returned.
And while Carson read Zolecki’s book,
Blanton pitched but got an early hook,
We sang “High Hopes” and the stadium shook,
The day the playoffs died.

We were singing,
So bye-bye, Cy Young lefty Cliff Lee.
Drove me to insanity,
Seattle got him for free.
And them good old blogs were writing “How?” and “Why?”
Singin’, "this’ll be the day the playoffs die."
"this’ll be the day the playoffs die."

6 comments:

GM-Carson said...

That was beautiful. I just cried a little.

Matty said...

OMG, I loved this. What a neat idea.

ACSmitty79 said...

Excellent!

Bob D said...

I have a tear in my eye, and a stabbing pain in my back (as a Phillie fan) from the knife of a trade stuck there.

Hmmm $9million for Blanton or for Lee? Well we know what Rube would do.

Andrew said...

Phantastic!! Will the CD be coming out in the offseason?

GM-Carson said...

Who the hell is this foreign dude that keeps coming up on here and commenting. We need a translator.