Thursday, April 29, 2010

(Un)Lucky Bastards & Howard Update

10 k's through 6 innings. Good. 4 runs allowed through 6 innings. Not good. Must just be "unlucky". Whatever. Cole Hamels is now 5 starts into the season with a 5.28 ERA, 1.47 WHIP, and 7 homeruns given up. That's a small sample size, but mix in last season's shitfest and you have a pattern of mediocrity borderlining on bad. I love me some stats, but there's a point where the "unlucky" excuse doesn't cut it and the "he's just not that good" explanation takes over...that point is now. He was "lucky" to get off the hook for the loss though, as the Phils rallied with 2 outs, down 3, in the 9th. So Hamels is lucky and unlucky all in one...see I told you luck equals out over the course of a season, so shove your BABIP up your ass!

Speaking of lucky/unlucky bastards, how about that deer-in-headlights Ryan Madson? Another blown save, but manages to pick up an undeserved win. Once again stat heads will argue that Madson's peripheral numbers suggest he would be a dominant closer if give an extended opportunity, but I beg to differ. Dude crumbles in the 9th and seemingly in other pressure situations too, be it in the 7th or 8th. But what the hell do I know, I just look at the results, why in the world would anybody ever do that?!
________________________________________________

The Howard:
Look who is leading the Majors in Howards...Ryan-fricken-Howard! Love when Howard notches a Howard and the Phils still win. Good times. He wasn't the only culprit yesterday, as Daric Barton, Adam Kennedy, and Even Longoria also put themselves on the board. Being only April, it seems the 2010 power/brickhanded/whiffing combo is ahead of 2009's pace.

10 comments:

Dr. Steve said...

That's an amazing picture of Howard right there.

Preserve Jon said...

I am embarrassed enough to admit that when I was listening to the game yesterday, I actually thought Hamels could bear down and get out of the bases loaded situation without letting up a run. I now resolve to listen to the advice of the GMs.

Utility Derek said...

In regards to yesterdays game, The phillies didnt win the game, The Giants lost the game. Fielding errors caused the Giants to lose. The phillies should have never won the game. Lincecum deserved that win. He was stellar.

GM-Carson said...

"I'm not going to take anything negative from the way I attacked the strike zone because I felt like I did that really well. I was able to really go after them. I felt like I was able to do what I wanted to do. Unfortunately, the line doesn't look good, but after this game I feel really pleased with what I was able to accomplish, and I look forward to my next start." ~Cole Hamels

*I on the otherhand do NOT look forward to your next start Cole.

GM-Carson said...

Tim Lincecum is amazing. He challenged Doc Halladay for best pitcher in baseball.

The Velez error saved the Phils day, and so did Schneider's amazing tag on the horrible throw by Howard at the plate.

furiousBall said...

Schneider made a nice play to get the Giants' runner at the plate, but other than that, I agree with Utility Derek, Giants lost that one. Gotta feel bad for that little kid from Third Rock From the Sun that started the game.

Corey said...

that hamels quote sound so much like adam eaton...

GM-Carson said...

I don't know why other people makes excuses for Hamels, he does so for himself.

Bob D said...

Does this put Hamels in the running for the Eaton award with Moyer and Kendrick?

Bob D said...

JC Romero is back, Lidge is back, and Blanton should be back on Monday. Happ not sure how far off but he maybe just a week away yet. So at least 1 more roster move to come Monday likely: Herndon, Figeroa, or Kendrick with 1 of those 3 gone when Happ returns.

Lets see if the pitching steps it up a notch now