Friday, September 25, 2009

Breaking News...

Breaking news...Paul Hoover is starting at catcher tonight. After sitting on the bench without any playing time since being called up at the beginning of September he gets the start behind the plate in Milwaukee, batting 8th in place of the injured Carlos Ruiz and currently overused Paul Bako. During parts of 5 seasons he's only caught 28 games with a .230 average and .493 OPS. I said it was "breaking news", not earth-shattering. Seriously, look at this picture, I think he's in shock.

On the mound: Cliff Lee and his NL ERA of 2.65 versus Manny Parra and his unsightly 6.42 ERA.

~Carson

7 comments:

GM-Carson said...

When Cliff Lee stinks on a given night, he really stinks. Total crapfest tonight, including another scored upon outing by ongoing joke Brad Lidge.

Dr. Steve said...

Does anyone have faith in Cliff Lee? He is definitely our weak spot.

GM-Carson said...

Dr. Steve- I'm not even sure if I can take you seriously or not. I hope you're joking, because although that was a crappy start, he's far from a crappy pitcher.

Dr. Steve said...

Past six games ERA is as follows:

7, 1, 0, 4, 6, 6.

Do those look like good numbers? Do they look reliable? Do they look like someone you are confident to trot out in a playoff series?

I am a huge believer in "What have you done for me lately." I hate when they trot out Utley's above .300 ERA when he's in an 0-24 slump.

Cliff Lee has sucked lately. And not just "sucked", it's been worryingly bad. And there are no signs that he is improving.

You can't possibly be confident in this guy.

GM-Carson said...

I'm confident that he's an excellent pitcher that knows how to work his way through rough patches and pitch his way back to dominance.

Dr. Steve said...

How long is a rough patch before it turns into something else? And if he knows how to return to dominance why does it seem like he's only getting worse? I mean, I'd believe the 4 - 0 - 1 game progression as improvement. But getting shelled for 7 runs and not even making it 7 innings... that's a terrible sign.

The guy scares me.

GM-Carson said...

I look at Lee's track record and see a pitcher that knows how to make adjustments and remain a winning pitcher despite a string of starts in which he sucked. I'm not happy with Lee right now, but at the same time I'm far less worried about him than some of the other stuff that's happening with the club- namely our shitty bullpen.