Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Lidge, Pedro, Moyer, & Other Stuff

Lidge:
What is happening to him this season is what many feared would happen to him from the get-go. These types of struggles are nothing new for Brad, as he had a tumultuous career in Houston, going from good to bad, to great to abysmal. He had an historically perfect season closing last year, but now he's having an historically awful one. If not for his huge contract extension, he would no longer be in that role. 7 blown saves, 4 losses, 7.29 ERA, 1.76 WHIP. He has the worst ERA in the history of the game for a closer with 20+ saves in the season. Lidge has allowed runs in 20 of his 46 games (43%).
_____________________________________________________

Pedro:
Let the games begin. Pedro Martinez makes his return to the majors wearing a Phillies jersey. I never would have believed that a season ago. He hasn't been healthy for about 2 years, as he pitched hurt most of last season which lead to his horrible stats. I'm just hoping for something better than Moyer at this point, which means about 6 innings with a 4ish ERA. Reports have him hitting 93 mph and sitting in the 90-91 mph range with his fastball, so his pitches seem to have their life back. The game is nationally televised on ESPN, and I have to admit I'm excited.
______________________________________________________

Moyer:
Moyer says he feels "disheartened" and "misled" about the Phillies decision to take him out of the rotation and put him in the bullpen. I think Ruben Amaro could respond back to the media in the same manner, because Jamie misled them into thinking he still could be an effective pitcher and his performance has been disheartening. Like I've said in the past, I love and respect Moyer, but he's lucky the Phils didn't give him the Old Yeller treatment.
______________________________________________________

Other Stuff:
*Matt Stairs has only 1 hit in July/August. 1-24 ain't helping the bench, especially not with Eric Bruntlett occupying a spot.

*Chase Utley looks tired. Not sure if he is, but he sure as hell looks it. He's in a 3-22 funk. Shame we didn't have a utility infielder to plug in and give him a rest. Damn you Eric Bruntlett!

*I like Ben Francisco.

*Marlins and Braves both won last night, so lucky the Phils stole the game from the Cubs to keep their distance.

~Carson

24 comments:

GM-Carson said...

As we suffer through Lidge and Bruntlett's unbelievably horrible seasons, Ed Wade smiles looking at his speedy leadoff hitter.

Bob D said...

that speedy leadoff hitter isnt anything great.

Moyer should just be less vocal in that way. I dont like things about my job, but I dont hold a press conference to voice my displeasure with management.

GM-Carson said...

Moyer said he doesn't want to be a distraction. If that were truly the case he would have told reporters something like- "I think of myself as a starting pitcher, but I didn't perform well in that capacity this season, so I'll take my assignment to the bullpen and do the best I can."

GM-Carson said...

Another reason to be excited about tonight's Pedro debut- he's the 1st Phillie to rock the jheri curl since our homeboy Steve Jeltz.

Preserve Jon said...

Anyone notice how loud it sounds in Wrigley? Is it the crowd mikes or the acoustics within the friendly confines?

Dr. Steve said...

Think Romero can return?

Think Myers can be an effective closer?

Think Moyer will even pitch again?

Who else can we add to our bullpen that will help it? It needs a little more help. Too bad part of that help is in the CLOSER ROLE

Joshua Lattanzi said...

All of our talk about Lidge is academic. As long as he can limp out there, he will be the closer, statistics and results be damned.

I said on my blog that the Moyer situation may well get ugly - I agree with Bob and Carson that talking about such a displeasure to the media is not the way to avoid a 'distraction'.

Reverend Paul Revere said...

I, too, like Ben Francisco

GM-Carson said...

Bullpen Good: Tyler Walker (surprisingly enough), Chan Ho Park, Ryan Madson, Scott Eyre.

Bullpen Mediocre: Chad Durbin.

Bullpen Bad: Brad Lidge.

Unknown: Jamie Moyer.

Condrey, Romero, and Myers are all question marks as to when they will return. Romero just had an MRI and was shutdown for a couple weeks. Myers is coming off major surgery, so I wouldn't bank on him saving us.

Lidge is the closer like it or not, and my guess is 99% of fans do not.

Joshua Lattanzi said...

The 1 percent is Lidge's family, Charlie Manuel, and Rich Dubee.

GM-Carson said...

The Phils need to score a buttload of runs tonight and not even have a save situation arise.

philly_phanatic said...

We gotta tell it straight, Brad Lidge sucks! Bad, horribly! He is like an overcooked hamburger out there and makes you throw up! Welcome to the team Ben!

Stock said...

Love the Steve Jeltz jheri curl reference in the comments.(not sure how to spell jheri curl, just copied off of you) A butt load of runs is exactly what they need. You just know they are about to open the flood gates any day now. I just hope its tonight when Pedro is on the mound. They will probably get 15 runs tomorrow when Cliff Lee throws a complete game shut out and they don't need a ton of runs.

GM-Carson said...

At least an overcooked hamburger is still edible and serves its purpose. The same cannot be said for Brad Lidge.

Dr. Steve said...

I hope we have a Mets-like offseason in regards to our bullpen. I wanted that kind of offseason THIS offseason. Bullpen help should always be a priority. Those guys can get cold fast, and you need backups. Depth in the bullpen is not depth on the bench.

Aaron said...

Steve Jeltz sucks.

Aaron said...

The more I think about Moyer's comments the more pissed off I get at him.

Dude you the WORST ERA OF ANY STARTER IN THE NL AND IT'S AUGUST!!!!!!!!! HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY BE PISSED OFF AT THE PHILLIES FOR TYRING SOMEONE ELSE?????????

They should have tried something else in May. I thought Moyer would handle this the right way I am highly dissapointed in one of my favorite players of all time.

GM-Carson said...

I understand why Moyer is upset, I'd be upset too. But for him to say he doesn't want to be a distraction, then turn around and make comments that make him a distraction is bullshit. You're 46 years old, you should know better.

Jeremy said...

Good first inning tonight for both the offense and Pedro.

Jeremy said...

Steve Bedrosian for closer!?!

Bob D said...

Phils destroying the Cubs with doubles, triples, and homers. Wow

GM-Carson said...

I asked for a buttload of runs and the offense sure delivered. Jamie Moyer could win with this run production. Oh wait, that's how the old fart got 10 wins to begin with.

Bob D said...

LOL thats great Carson

GM-Carson said...

The Rockies called up Adam Eaton. Fools.