Monday, April 20, 2009

There's A New Pimp In Town

I love dongs. I love walk-off dongs even better...

I've also wanted to hate Raul Ibanez since he was signed. He replaced a legend, the Great One, the Left Field Pimp. And while I'm still not ecstatic about three years and thirty million, Ibanez's first two weeks with the Phils have been terrific (.386-5-10) and I must admit...the Phils are a better team with Ibanez than they would be with Burrell.

At this point, I've been proven dead wrong about the left field situation. Not offering Burrell arbitration and signing the aging, lefthanded Ibanez has been a good move by Lil' Rube. And I hope, in reference to this subject, I stay wrong all year long...

-----------------------------
Chan Ho Gotta Go
Yeah, I've seen enough. Chan Ho hasn't been a productive starter for years. He had a great season in the Dodger bullpen last year, leading some to think he could slide into the rotation and reproduce those numbers. Smart idea? No. Under that logic, Ryan Madson could return to the rotation, but nobody wants that. Fact is, this isn't 2001. Chan Ho Park belongs in the bullpen.

As for his replacement, most would call for JA Happ. He was solid last season and has been serviceable out of the bullpen. It's tough to argue against Happ, but I would love to see Carlos Carrasco. Carrasco has been the team's "starter-in-waiting" for some time now, with Happ getting the nod over Carrasco last season based on age/experience/etc. If Carrasco has the bigger "upside" or "potential" or whatever you want to call it, his AAA numbers should earn him a spot. In eight career AAA starts, he has an ERA well under 2.00 with 56 strikeouts against only 13 walks (10:0 this season.) If he's our future, the future may well be right now.
-----------------------------
Tonight's Game
The Phils look to earn a split tonight (7:05, TV Comcast) against Padre starter Kevin Correia. The former Giant hurler didn't face the Phils last season and appeared three times against the Fightins in 2007, all in relief. He's had two good starts so far in '09 (11 IP, 5 ER), so the Phils will look to reverse his fortune. Jamie Moyer goes for Philadelphia and I'm not even going to mention his 6.55 ERA.

Corey

11 comments:

dr. steve said...

The Howard claims more victims for its ever-growing list of prestigious players. Howard, if McCarthy is to be believed, made three spectacular grabs in yesterday's game. Odd, isn't it? Will Howard not even crack the top ten of Howarders this year?

The saga continues... tomorrow! Only on MLB Network. (You'd think for a 24/7 Baseball channel they would dedicate 10 minutes a day to tracking Howards.)

Bob D said...

Chan Ho will likely get a few more starts to prove he cant start effectively any more. JA Happ will get the next shot (3 scoreless innings yesterday) before Carrasco or anyone else gets a shot. And don't look now but Drabek is tearing up A ball and could find his way to AAA by this summer and possibly on the Phils radar.

How come Correja frightens me as he will throw like CyYoung rather than some 5th starter?

GM-Carson said...

Correia, pronounced Korea, will be out by the 4th inning...if the game is played. Looks like a lot of rain in the forecast.

Andrew said...

I'm stunned by Howard's lack of errors, and thus lack of Howards, so far. I would even go so far as to say I'm impressed with him. I only saw the over the head basket catch in foul ground yesterday, but I thought for sure he had no chance at that. When he said he worked on his defense, he must not have been lying.

GM-Carson said...

When I heard to Howard working on his defense this spring, I chalked it up to typical spring training nonsense that amounts to nothing in the regular season. I know it's a small sample size, but Howard's defense is notably better, and that's a very good thing. I still think he'll rack some "Howards" this season, but if his name were to remain off the list altogether because of lack of errors and/or k's then that would be alright.

Aaron said...

Howard didn't really work on his defense. He's just not as fat any more so he is more agile.

That's my theory anyway.

My bold prediction is today will be the first game of the year that the Phillies DO NOT give up a homerun.

My other bold prediction is that Jimmy Rollins gets on base twice tonight and scores two runs.

Moyer goes 5 + and gives up 2 runs.

GM-Carson said...

I'm just hoping the game gets played tonight, another rain-out will suck.

Jay Ballz said...

I agree with Corey about Carrasco. Happ would likely be used first, but Carrasco should be the choice.

Chris said...

I REALLY don't want a rainout.

GM-Carson said...

Check up on old chum Adam Eaton: 2 starts, 2 losses, 8 ip, 11.25 era, 2.63 whip. Yep, still sucks.

Joanne said...

I tried so hard to hate him, but the WO doomed me. Damn you, Raul Ibanez, damn you.