Friday, March 13, 2009

Phlashback Phriday - The Bull

Usually our Phlashback Phriday subjects are not well known - Willie Jones, Jerry Martin, Todd Frowirth, etc. But today I thought I would mix it up and offer a Phillies great for reminiscence.

I never saw The Bull play. He made his mark in Philadelphia before I was born and I've only ever seen him behind the counter at his bar-b-q joint at The Cit. So, I don't have any personal stories or anecdotes. What I do have is some impressive homer totals and a neat little beer commercial.

Between 1975 and 1978, The Bull racked up 129 homers, four All Star appearances, had three years at .300 or better, three years with 100 or more RBI, and finished in the top 8 in MVP voting every year.

The Bull's 307 home runs ranks him #108 on the career list, but he'll likely fall down a few pegs as Troy Glaus, Paul Konerko, Jermaine Dye, Carlos Lee, David Ortiz and Adam Dunn are all within striking distance.

Now on to the real reason I picked Luzinski for the Phlashback: a twenty year old Lite beer commercial with tight clothes, fairway woods, and comical Asian sterotyping. Enjoy.



Corey

10 comments:

GM-Carson said...

I apologize to all of our Chinese readers...

Craig Monroe went deep 3 times yesterday for the Pirates, and now has 6 hr on the spring.

furiousBall said...

The Bull lived in a neighboring development next to me in south jersey (same neighborhood as Bob Boone too) and his son Ryan was a hoss, damn good baseball player in high school

GM-Carson said...

He's big into hunting now and has been on some shows. When I went with my father-in-law a couple seasons ago to a game and he got his hat signed by Bull, they talked hunting for a good 5 minutes while everyone else waited in line.

Bob D said...

Awesome commercial

GM-Carson said...

Athletes are discouraged from doing beer commercials now-a-days...totally bogus!

Mr Loom said...

Road trip from south Carolina to Florida live update... I have offended everyone in the car so far. Told a braves fan that larry jones is an ahole and I refuse to call him chipper and that it's lucky he is at the WBC or I would find a way to put him on the dl. Told a cardinals fan how much of a drunk larussa is and told the Yankees fan that 26 world championships is nothing compared to being the wfc!!! Yankees vs red sox tonight in ft myers.

GM-Carson said...

You're a true blue hero Mr. Loom.

Mr Loom said...

Everyone in the car is mad cause I just told them their teams will all be third place a this year. At least their are no mets fans here.

GM-Carson said...

Howard with another homer, Phils beating Buccos 5-3.

GM-Carson said...

Eaton got the loss in his O's spring debut. 3 ip, 4 h, 2 r. What a bitch!