Thursday, February 12, 2009

More Phillies Stuph

*Chase Utley wants to play in the first game of the 2009 season, and dammit he's doing everything he possibly can to reach that goal. When news of his hip injury/surgery first came out, many of us nearly puked from the nausea it caused at the thought of Eric Bruntlett or some other lesser being manning 2nd base in Utley's absence until June. However, as days go by, it appears Chase will be popping out of that dugout to take his position on the field Opening Night April 5th against the Atlanta Braves. I'm not afraid to admit this- I love him!

*Yesterday Bobby Abreu was a free agent, today he's an Angel. No, not in heaven, in Los Angeles (although some rival gangs would argue that's the closest to the Pearly Gates they'll ever get). Reports have the contract being a 1 year pact for roughly $5M with incentives. Not to clobber a deceased horse, but this really makes the Ibanez signing look even more ridiculous. Abreu is a bit younger, a better all-around hitter, can still steal bases, and is actually a slightly better fielder, yet he got 2 years and $25M less than Raul.


*The more I read in the Philly newspapers and blogs, it is becoming evident that JA Happ is the frontrunner for the 5th spot in the rotation. I'd have to agree, and I also have to admit that's who I believe to be the best fit. Happ has the ability to miss bats with his pitching repertoire and showed poise in September's playoff drive, Carrasco is probably not ready, Kendrick is still gun-shy, and Park is best suited for the bullpen.


*There's much debate about whether the other 103 names on that survey in which Alex Rodriguez was pinpointed for using steroids should be released or not. I want to see the names, and many others do too, but are we ready to see some Phillies on that list?

~Carson

16 comments:

Kevin McGuire said...

I admit that I am curious to see the names of the other 103 players and I honestly believe I am prepared to see the Phillies on the list. I have a suspicion that there will be Phillies on there but would we really care about the ones we learn about?

GM-Carson said...

Seeing a Phillie on the list is almost inevitable, and it wouldn't bother me too much unless it was someone like Burrell or J-Roll that were big parts of the teams during those years and during recent years. If it was Jose Mesa, I'd just laugh.

GM-Carson said...

Happy 44th bday to Rube today.

Andrew said...

The only possible current phils we would see on that list would be Burrell or maybe Myers. No way Rollins used. It would have screwed up his running game. Any others on the squad in the early 2000s don't matter anyway, because they're not WFC! Who else might even be an option. Abreu? Lieby? Wolf? Jason Michaels?

The fact that most of our core team came up after 2003 makes me more comfortable about that.

GM-Carson said...

If a Phillie is named, regardless of who it is, I admit it will sting a bit.

Brian said...

i'm betting Scott Rolen is on that list.

GM-Carson said...

If crybaby Scotty Rolen is on that list, you can bet on a tandem post rant style from the GM's here.

Andrew said...

as much as I would just love to read down the list and see what substance each and every player tested positive for... I'm thinking it is a huge violation of privacy. These guys took the test under conditions of anonymity. If the names happened to be leaked... well, then, like ARod, I would not in the least feel sympathy for the cheaters on it. But I think its unlikely we'll be hearing any more names.

GM-Carson said...

I feel no sympathy for A-Rod either, but I will say that since his name was "leaked" that the others must also be "leaked" as well. Having 1 player singled out of 104 isn't just.

dr. steve said...

Is Carassco EVER going to be ready? I mean, if he is some amazing pitching talent, then shouldn't he be able to PITCH?!?

This is nuts. I am giving up on any hopes for this dude. Happ was amazing and remarkable, and I have complete faith in him, even if he can't adjust to batters halfway through the season and gets batted around.

Okay I lied, I'm actually nervous about that.

Andrew said...

I think Carrasco will make an appearance this year and then nicely take Myers' place next season in the rotation as we let Brett walk. Or maybe Myers will be traded midseason for a batter allowing Carrasco to make his way onto the 25 man.

furiousBall said...

I like Carson's idea that Joe Table is on the list. In fact, I'm going to tell everyone that he was

GM-Carson said...

Dan Uggla won his arbitration hearing against the Marlins, look for him to be traded by midnight.

Amanda said...

Who doesn't love Chase?

Who wants to bet Joe Roa was one of the 103 players listed from 2003. I'm calling it.

GM-Carson said...

Dammit Amanda, stop badmouthing Joe Roa!

How do you spell retard? said...

I'm betting Wheels is on that list.
/buggywhip'd