So these are the new uniforms the Pirates will be wearing
- Generally speaking, I'm disappointed.
- I like the grey road uni, especially when the player sports high socks like Nyjer Morgan does in the picture...but the grey sleeveless was better.
- I also like the fat "P" making a long awaited return to the jersey front. However, that jersey looks like a batting practice/Spring Training jersey, and probably should be limited to such occasions.
- The red jersey is nowhere to be seen. They need to put that thing in the same closet as the "Turn Ahead The Clock" jersey and lock the door.
- The only sleeveless jersey they kept is the one I hate, that hideous pinstriped thing.
- The home whites are...boring home white. Take a look at the old jerseys [below]. How is this an improvement?
All in all, not a good effort by the Pirates. I would have simply removed the logo form the left sleeve like they did in the 60's and 70's (see pictures below), eliminated the red jersey and the pinstriped jersey, and maybe initiated a "new" throwback jersey to be worn on Sundays on something. But who really cares, right? No big deal. And then I read this on the official Pirates website:
"The changes were made in large part to identify closely with the team's history and tradition. The decision to go back to a jersey with sleeves was again part of the effort to identify with the uniform style of the most successful Pirates teams in the organization's history. Four of the five world championships won by the Pirates were won by players that had sleeved jerseys."
This is the kind of bullshit that infuriates Pirates fans like myself. I don't want to "identify" with successful Pirates teams, I want to WATCH successful Pirates teams. I don't care if they are dressed like the Taliban. I don't care if they wear ball gowns and high heels. Hell, if they would win 82 games, I'll wear a dress and high heels. I'd much rather have a player look horrible and hit .300 than have the LaRoche brothers play like crap in sleeves!
Furthermore, the Pirates didn't even do a good job "identifying" with successful teams of the past. What do you think of when you think of winning Pirates baseball? I think of this:
See any sleeves? I don't.
Sure, the last Pirates team to win the World Series had sleeves. But they also had pillbox hats with horizontal stripes, pull-over mustard yellow polyester jerseys and Dave Parker high on cocaine. Except for the coke, anybody want to bring back that winning tradition? Also, the first two World Champion Pirate teams wore sleeves. Of course, the colors were red and blue and some of the uniforms lacked a logo or script/print name and had collars. Any body want to bring back that winning tradition?
Like I said, same old tricks from the Pirates. Make some marginal changes that don't affect the state of the club, put a couple quotes in the media that make it look like they want to improve the club, all to distract the fans from the fact that the team still sucks and isn't getting any better. But hey, at least now they have sleeves.