Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Chan Who? Whatever...

Maybe it's because I'm feeling the "holiday spirit." Maybe it's because I'm loaded with sedatives. Whatever the reason, I can't muster strong feelings about the Chan Ho Park signing.

We all know the story. Ten years ago, Chan Ho was pretty good. Then he sucked for the better part of a decade before reinventing himself as a relief pitcher last year. Now, the Phils are paying Park $2.5 million (with other performance incentives) to be a starter/reliever.

Hopefully he can repeat last year's performance (3.40 ERA and 95 innings), while at the same time providing starting depth just in case one of the starters gets hurt or needs to go to the minors for a month or two. Of course, he may also flame out and turn into the long relief version of Adam Eaton. Who knows? Either way, it won't make or break the season for the Phils.
--------------------------
Moyer's Contract
From what I gather, Moyers's contract looks something like this: 2 years, $6.5 million per year plus incentives for innings pitched and number of starts, making the total maximum value about $19 million.

Two years for Moyer is risky, but $6.5 million for a 16 game winner is a steal no matter what age he is. And if he can contribute 30 starts and 190 innings for the next two years, he deserves $19 million. Overall, I think this is a good signing.

Corey

12 comments:

GM-Carson said...

I want Chan Ho Park leading the way in the bench clearing brawl.

JMS said...

I want Chan Ho Park to bean K-Rod in a 15-inning Sunday night game, starting Carson's bench clearing brawl. And then I want Cooch to beat the crap out of a Met, Utley to beeline for their catcher, and celebrity appearances by Mitch and PtB.

furiousBall said...

Hopefully Chan Ho will be out human cannonball, meaning that in the event of a brawl, he will be shot out of a cannon at the opposing bench

bsg said...

I seriously hope they just dont hand the 5th spot to park, i read a quote where park says amaro signed me to be the 5th starter, or something to that affect, i can see where if happ and carrasco struggle somewhat in spring training, or if kendrick doesnt get it together i just dont see how they could consider him a season long starter i just hope he understands his role as being insurance

Corey said...

"I was a little worried about the Citizen Bank Park, the home of the Phillies, which is hitter-friendly, but as they considered me as a starter, I signed with Philadelphia." - CHP

yeah, i agree, that is a little worrisome.

Bob D said...

Well, have Park start away games only. Park can be the Phils enforcer with his Martial Arts. I wonder if Adam Eaton is going to be the righthanded setup man?

GM-Carson said...

Ho Park in bullpen = I'm okay with.

Ho Park in rotation = me pissed!

Happ, Carrasco, and Kendrick would be better suited for 5th starter than Ho Park.

Bob D said...

I feel Happ is likely the best option come April as Kendrick looks to be questionable. Carrasco has enormous potential and will likely debut for the Phils at any time. However 2 pitchers who could fast track themselves into the Phils rotation by September are Drabek and Savery. The Phils rotation has great potential with Hamels, Carrasco, Drabek, and Savery as all of them within the next couple of years could all be considered top of the rotation type of pitchers.

GM-Carson said...

Phillies and Pirates 40-man rosters are updated near the bottom of the left sidebar on the main page, as well as the Phils Prospects list.

GM-Carson said...

Click here for an excellent Pat Burrell as a Phillie recap/tribute.

njh723 said...

I can't wait for the first Phils brawl of the season. I can see Chan Ho bicycle kicking his way from the bullpen to the mound now...

Los said...

I'm ok with Chan-Ho Park ... as long as he's not a starter ... he makes a strong bullpen stronger.

I'm fine with Moyer as well ... he can continue to tutor the younger pitchers and prepare for a career after baseball.