Monday, October 13, 2008

Phils Take 3-1 Series Lead


As the 8th inning began, I started preparing for today's blog. The theme of the post was that the Phils just weren't good enough last night. I had plenty of examples too: Joe Blanton's average-at-best starting job, Ryan Howard's defensive ineptitude, Chad Durbin's missing right arm, So Taguchi playing in the game, etc. But with one swing of his bat, the Flyin' Hawaiian dramatically changed the theme of this post and the state of the 2008 NLCS.

After the events of Game 3, it was poetic justice that Victorino was able to round the bases and enter the dugout clapping and cheering as the Dodger fans looked on in stunned silence, their pathetic boos of moments earlier just an insignificant memory. As Chase would say, "Boo? F*ck you."

Do you think anyone in the Dodgers dugout is complaining about Chavez Ravine and its "bandbox" dimensions after Victorino's linedrive homer cleared the rightfield fence? I'm being facetious, of course, but it is worth noting that homers that barely clear the fence happen at all parks. Homers that go about 600 feet happen in all parks also. Speaking of Matt Stairs' homer, I'd love to know where that thing landed. Unconfirmed reports have it touching down in a grocery store parking lot in El Segundo during the 9th inning...

When asked about his approach to the at-bat, Stairs had this to say, "I try to hit home runs, I'm not going to lie. I go up there and swing as hard as I can. I'm not going to single and steal second base."

I think I'm in love...



Hats off to three other players for some key performances:
1) Chase Utley for his unassisted double play in the 6th winning, when the Dodgers had the bases loaded and were threatening to blow the game wide open. If he doesn't make that play, the series is tied 2-2.

2) Carlos Ruiz for his two out hit in the 8th. At the very least, it would have allowed the Phils to lead off the ninth with the top of the order, but we all know how big that hit really turned out to be. Matt Stairs got a shot with two outs to swing from his heels, and the rest is playoff history...

3) Brad Lidge for getting his first four out save of the season. Up until last night, Lidge not pitched in the 8th and 9th to get a save. He made the 8th interesting, but set the Dodgers down in order in the latter to seal the win.

Tomorrow: a preview of Game 5 as the Angryville Angries look to book their ticket to the World Series.

Corey

32 comments:

The Real Mike Is Back said...

That thing landed somewhere in Cypress Park. Home of The Avenues, a "subsidiary" of the Mexican Mafia. You go get it. Not me, man. :-)

Aaron said...

I wanna make babies with Matt Stairs.

5 wins to go.

Aaron said...

Ryan Howard fields like a Hypopatumus on stilts.

Aaron said...

This quote from Stairs after the game is priceless...

"when you get that nice celebration coming in the dugout and you're getting your ass hammered by guys, there's no better feeling than to have that done."

HA HA HA ass hammered by guys....HA HA HA

SirAlden said...

Matt Stairs is known in some circles as "The Wonder Hamster."

"I have no idea where that came from," Stairs said. "I'm short and chubby. I get up there and I'm a little guy. I don't get cheated, I swing as hard as I can."

Give that man some Hamster Luv!
Thank you Matt!!!!

Aaron said...

Here's a quote from Andre Eithier's playoff blog...

"Tomorrow we've got a day off. I'll have to try to find a way to relax and find something to take my mind off. But right now it's sinking in that if we play this way again, it will be a whole lot worse than this. We'll be packing up and going home and we'll know we gave a series away to a team that is not better than ours. Nobody in here wants that."

1. sounds like Andre has already accepted defeat
2. No Andre you are not a better team...that's why you are in a 3-1 hole. Thanks for the Double play in the 8th douche bonnet.

GM-Carson said...

The Dodgers come from the shit-o-rific NL West where teams fielding trained monkeys can be the division champion. The Phils are the better team you mascara wearing butt-bumper!

GM-Carson said...

I laugh every time I see/hear the Dodger fans canned enthusiasm and rally towel waving...you "bundle of sticks' are a joke!

GM-Carson said...

By the way, I left my wallet in El Segundo...did anyone find it?

BloodStripes said...

A most satisfying victory. To go up 3-1 like that leading into a day off is massive. Our boys are relaxed and happy and Andre and his bum chums can't stop thinking about how the Fightin's spanked their ass. Awesome stuff.

The Phils are getting contributions across the board. Key hits, good defense, solid pitching. Its someone different every game, along with Vic of course. The whole team is chipping in and it all adds up to more wins. The Phillies are a way better team.

GM-Carson said...

Shane Victorino's postseason is going to make him a fan favorite forever. He's going to go down in Phillies legend and lore are his heroics.

GM-Carson said...

Vic's postseason- 8 g, 30 ab, 4 r, 8 h, 3 dbl, 1 trpl, 2 hr, 11 rbi, 3 bb, 0 k, 3 sb, .267 avg, .967 OPS.

BloodStripes said...

Huge OPS and no strikeouts. Very impressive.

GM-Carson said...

Making contact is a good thing...who would have thought?

BloodStripes said...

We are flyin' high with the Hawaiian.

With Hamels up next the Phils are a huge chance to take the NL Pennant home on wednesday. We got 'em where we want 'em Phils. Time to drive the final nail in the coffin.

Corey said...

angryville's favorite sports writer called matt stairs "[the Phillies] journeyman version of Jose Lima."

can anyone explain to me how this makes sense?

Joe said...

Great win. You could feel the sphincters tightening on the field for the Phillies in the bottom 8 and 9. But when Nomar flew out to center, you could sense the team relax, Vic coasted under the ball, and the team collectively realized they are good enough to win. They are better. They will win.

I hated the off day when I saw the schedule. But I think it helps the Phils. They get to take a deep breath. Rest Lidge. And Cole can spend the day channeling the California vibe.

What is Fox going to do when the Phillies win? They can't play "I love LA" at every commercial break. With the Yankees home for the fall, and LA out, Fox won't have a horse in this race.

JMS said...

Ruiz is the King of two-out rallies. And I'm watching the Stairs interview on CSN. Good choice of words, fat gay hamster homerun hamster!

Joe said...

If the Phils lose, we're left bitching about Howard's bad throw and lack of hustle to first. And Durbin's can of gasoline.

So Taguchi leaves us to wonder why he's on the roster, again.

Can't wait for the chorus of boos Victorino will hear on Wednesday.

Reverend Paul Revere said...

If Shane Victorino was running for president, I might actually register. Especially if Matt Stairs was his running mate.

Stephanie Grace said...

Well played by Foghorn Leghorn Cholly last night.

Burning Jenkins so that Torre would bring in the hard throwing Broxton, knowing that the veteran Stairs has been eating fastballs for lunch since the early 90s.

Even though Broxton hasn't given up a homer at home since 2006, Torre got out managed.

3-1, 95 mph heat, and bang - the ball lands somewhere over on Sunset.

Game over, The Wonder Hamster is the man.

furiousBall said...

the fat man rules.

Jacobin said...

For years now, when people ask me what I want to do for my birthday, I make a joke that I want to go to a Phillies game. Now, if they go to the World Series, game three would be in Philadelphia on my birthday. Unbelievable...

dr. steve said...

I was under the impression Manuel used Taguchi because he wanted to save Stairs and had no one else to throw out there.

Los said...

I can't believe I fell asleep prior to the 8th inning!!!! What a loser!

Amanda said...

WHAT A GAME!!! Awesome game played by both sides.

Vic and Stairs huge homeruns! Utley a game saving play.

ONE WIN AWAY!

GO PHILS!

JMS said...

Best birthday present ever-thanks Phils!

GM-Carson said...

JMS- your birthday October 13th too?

JMS said...

10.13.86, bright and early. Is it yours, too?

GM-Carson said...

Yes, I was born Oct. 13th as well, turned 29 yesterday.

By the way, congrats to Corey for getting linked to Deadspin again, twice in 1 week.

JMS said...

Well happy birthday to you, too then! I just turned 22, but it's been the best so far, thanks to a little post-season.

C.M.R. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.