Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Campaign Cheer: The Recap

Campaign Cheer was my crowning achievement as a Phillies blogger. I had my 15 minutes of fame. ESPN radio out of Philadelphia interviewed me on-air via telephone about my idea, Comcast Sports and Fox 29 did television interviews with me, Deadspin featured the movement of Campaign Cheer, long time Phillies organization employee Larry Shenk emailed me his approval and mentioned it in his blog Phillies Insider, and Rich Hoffman basically wrote an article about Campaign Cheer. All the publicity for the blog has been great, but it's not about that; it's about showing the team you love support.

Campaign Cheer did start out as a half-baked idea formed out of sarcasm, but it evolved into so much more. As it began to pick up momentum around the Internet I decided to nix the negative connotation of cynical cheering, and focus solely on genuine throat-scratching belly-deep cheering. As I passed out fliers around Citizens Bank Park I emphasized that the idea was to drown out the boo-birds and create a positive ball park atmosphere. I was met with mixed reactions. Many people embraced the idea, others looked at me like I was passing out cult propaganda, and a few actually booed me. Inside the stadium I heard exactly what I expected- lots of cheers, but plenty of boos for Jimmy Rollins. Jimmy was met with 1/3 cheers, 1/3 boos, and 1/3 indifference in his first at bat. I gave him a standing ovation and I saw many others doing the same, but I did hear the jeers too. As the game went on, it felt like the crowd was cheering extra hard for every single Phillie with the exception of Jimmy Rollins, as he was the center of many boos to come as he had a very poor night at the plate including grounding into a double play. However, watching the game tonight (Wednesday) Jimmy is getting far more cheers than boos every time he comes to the plate and Harry Kalas even made note of it in J-Roll's second at bat.

So maybe Campaign Cheer wasn't a smashing success in its initial night, but hopefully it's catching on. I can only wish to hear more cheering than boos from now on because I'm sick and tired of all the negativity. I was a culprit of spreading pessimism, and it was draining. Booing, calling the players names, saying they suck, all that nonsense does nothing to help the club. It's time for a change, and I'm starting with the man in the mirror. I plan on focusing on the positives from now on. That doesn't mean I'll sugarcoat things or ignore problems, but I can do so in a much less harsh manner than I have in the past and still keep it lighthearted and amusing. To be completely honest, promoting Campaign Cheer and cheering my butt off in the stands for the entire game made it the most enjoyable experience I've ever had at a baseball game. Instead of getting pissed about Blanton pitching poorly, or the offense sputtering for the first part of the game, I remained upbeat and clapped and shouted reinforcement from the upper deck and it made me a much happier person for it. All in all, I'm extremely happy Campaign Cheer actually came to fruition, and now I dream of the concept growing and living on.

Special thanks goes out to my wife for customizing the Campaign Cheer t-shirt, making the sign, and helping to pass out the fliers (she is a converted Braves fan). Thank you to Hugging Harry Reynolds for printing out a buttload of fliers and distributing them outside the park too. Big shout out to the man and his son (holding the sign above) for giving me and my cohorts 4 dollar dogs for free. Oh, and as I'm typing, Brett Myers finished off the Nationals for a 4-0 complete game shutout. Phillies now 2-0 at home since Campaign Cheer began. Coincidence? I think not. Seen below is a picture of me catching my first small-mouth bass keepers (15+ inch) of the year the day after Campaign Cheer. Coincidence? Nope, lady luck is on both my and the Phils side!

~Carson

28 comments:

GM-Carson said...

In his 6 starts since returning to the majors, Brett Myers is 3-1 with a 1.94 era spanning 41.2 ip, and has walked 10 while striking out 30. It's good to have him back.

GM-Carson said...

After another crummy start last night for Reading, Adam Eaton has almost no hope of returning to the Phils this season. In 5 minor league starts he's 0-4, 8.03 era, in 24.2 ip while surrendering 8 homeruns and allowing hopeful MLBers to bat .291 off of him.

BloodStripes said...

Well done with the campaign GM. Doing it from the heart. Awesome. If we want a pennant then all us phans need to get behind the Phils and cheer them to the bitter end. There is no other way. Its not like they aren't giving it their all. So no need to bitch if things don't work out.

D.C punkers Bad Brains had a fantastic song called 'Attitude'. Check your email mate. I just sent it to you. Your new theme song.

Don't care what you may say
We got that attitude
Don't care what you may do
We got that attitude
Yeahhhh we got that PMA
Yeahhhh we got that PMA
We got that attitude
We got that PMA
We got that attitude
We got that PMA
(Positive Mental Attitude).

Nice to see you have plenty of it. Keep spreading it mate. Good things come to those with the PMA.

Certainly is nice to have Myers back.

GO PHILS!!!

GM-Carson said...

Jamie Moyer on the hill tonight trying to secure the sweep for us. 45 years old hasn't looked that good since Rachel Hunter.

BloodStripes said...

If thats 45. That indeed is very good.

Utley is 7 for 14 against Redding with 2 homers. High time to break the 4 for 22, 1 run scored for the past week drought and hit some screaming line drives at the fans in the bleachers.

C'mon Phils. SWEEP!!!

GM-Carson said...

Tim Redding, who has quieted the Phils bats in the past, will get shelled tonight and be out after 5 innings. The Phils are just starting to get on a roll. Dodgers come to town next, and we owe them one (actually 4!).

BloodStripes said...

It would be great if we could return the sweep.

furiousBall said...

those are fish, you can't fool me

GM-Carson said...

Furiousball- no comment about my man-jigglies today?

Reverend Paul Revere said...

Starting with the man in the mirror huh? Michael Jackson would be so proud.

I have a friend who's a Braves fan. They all seem to converting these days …

GM-Carson said...

I plan on covering the converting of my wife from a nice Braves fan to a rabid Phils fan this offseason. I'm going to give a step by step guide for how to brainwash people into loving the Phils.

I love me some old school Michael Jackson- Man in the Mirror, Smooth Criminal, Billy Jean...those were his good ol' days.

GM-Carson said...

From the Philly Inquierer-
(Jimmy Rollins chatted with reporters before last night's game to discuss his comment that Phillies fans were "front-runners." He was asked whether players on other teams ask about the fans.
"We've had a lot of things said about fans here," Rollins said of questions and comments by opposing players. "Most of them you can't repeat. That's their opinion. They get to come from the outside and look in. I think a lot of players, they ask knowing their free-agent year is coming up. They try to get a feel for how the fans are. I think they have a good idea of how the team is. They like the team. They enjoy the team.

"A lot of times, and I've actually heard it, they don't want to put their family and kids in a situation where they come to the field and these are the types of things their kids are going to have to sit through and listen to. That's just the truth. Those aren't my words. Those are words that I've actually heard.")

*If true, that's just sad. Not only does negativity not help the players on the field, it doesn't help the team recruit free agents either. Although, I'm sure there's still plenty of guys willing to take millions the Phils show to them (see Brad Lidge, Adam Eaton, Utley signing long-term).

Reverend Paul Revere said...

I don't buy that for one second. Players go to the Eagles. And Brand to the Sixers. And tons come to the Flyers.
They don't go to the Phils because the owners don't dish out enough dough for top free agents. Simple as that. He's just trying to use as much ammunition to justify his statements.

GM-Carson said...

I did have one bad experience on Tuesday. In Parking Lot Q I was told by a police officer that I would have to leave the parking lot or eat in my car because there's no tailgating permitted. I wasn't drinking beer, I wasn't grilling hot dogs, I had a f'n subway sub in my hands and I was standing next to my open trunk of my car. Luckily I was in a good mood or I may have been arrested with a sarcastic comeback like, "Is chewing gum allowed?". I should be able to eat my damn sub anywhere...ridiculous!

GM-Carson said...

Jamie Moyer with another fine performance tonight. The man knows how to pitch.

Carlos Ruiz with a homerun, pretty unexpected. That's only his 3rd of the season.

Jimmy isn't helping himself much in the way of boo-birds as he's having another bad night at the plate.

As I type, Ryan Madson just blew the lead. Tied 3-3 against the gNats...c'mon fellas!!!

Los said...

I'm baffled with the whole Rollins talk ... I'm not trying to sound negative, but the more he talks, the more he sounds like he wants out of Philly ... I'm probably overreacting, right?

GM-Carson said...

I don't think he wants out of Philly, I think he feels he needs to speak up and say these things because he feels it and so do others, but others won't speak up for themselves so he'll do it and take the brunt of the boos. If he'd just start hitting again, all (well mostly all) would be forgiven.

GM-Carson said...

Men on 1st and 2nd no out with Howard and Burrell coming up in the bottom of the 8th down a run...like our chances. No runs, a strikeout and a double play. That's ugly.

GM-Carson said...

I'm not trying to be negative, I'm just pointing out the facts, and the fact is since August 11th Ryan Howard is 3-35 (.086) with 18 k's.

Aaron said...

All right i'm all for the positive fibe stuff but...Ryan Howard is absoultley killing us! Why can he not learn to take balls and swing at strikes. Why does he continue to swing for the fences in every situation when a lot of times we really just need a basehit.

And if Jimmy Rollins grounds out to 2nd base one more time trying to pull an outside pitch one more time i'm going to lose my mind.

GM-Carson said...

Positive vibes are one thing, but ignoring a HUGE problem like Howard's k's is something entirely different. The Phils offense is in the doldrums, thanks largely to Utley, Rollins, and Howard's struggles...and Burrell's this month. The offense is just bad and Howard striking out every other at bat only make the fans more angry. I'll stay positive, but like I said, I'll continue to tell the truth and the truth is that Ryan Howard is hurting this team right now.

GM-Carson said...

Utley's error and blown opportunities in the 8th and 9th lost the game. Moyer pitched brilliantly again, but the offense just couldn't get it done, as has been the case for 2 months now. Sad.

Aaron said...

Clutch.

Aaron said...

mets are one "clutch" single away from winning.....AGAIN.

GM-Carson said...

Recipe for loss:
Howard 0-4, 3 k's.

Burrell GIDP.

Bruntlett struck out looking in the 9th with Victorino on 2nd with no outs.

Utley's error, allowing a runner to score on a dead-double play.

Ryan Madson in the 8th inning.

GM-Carson said...

Mets win...dammit!!!

Aaron said...

And low and behold the mets came through thanks to a ridiculously misplayed ball by omar infante a short stop playing left field.
Thanks Braves.

Aaron said...

Why did durbin face one batter tonight and charlie gave the 8th inning to Madson. Isn't durbin our 8th inning set up guy with the era under 2. And haven't we tried the madson in the 8th inning experiment enough times in the past several years to know that he can't handle it?

Howard used to look silly against left handers, now he just looks silly against everybody.

Our pitching has been very solid for a while now. Bottom line is Rollins, Howard and Utley need to hit the ball. If they do we win the division, if not we don't. It's really that simple.
I think Rollins and Howard are very aware of that and I think they are thinking about it all the time.
This team is much better than the mets when the are playing up to there capabilities. Not even a little bit better....much better.