Sunday, July 20, 2008

Week in Retrospect

Back from my vacation to discuss the Phillies news of the past week a bit browner, heavier, and tired. First on the agenda...

1. All-Star Game: I am about to employ the WSBGM's brigade to start a public smear campaign against that retard Clint Hurdle. First he snubs our boy Burrell, who happens to be having a killer season, then he snubs Hamels by picking imploding reliever Carlos Marmol to replace the injured Kerry Wood. What's that, another Cub (8 total) you ask?! Then he goes out of his way to give Philly the one-finger salute by warming up our starting pitcher, oops, I meant closer, Brad Lidge from the 8th inning on until he's finally used in the 15th inning throwing well over 100 pitcher. Also, not to be lost in the festivities was Utley's poor showing in the Homerun Derby, in which he looked he wanted no part of, and then dropping the "F Bomb" during the game; and by "F Bomb" I do not mean farfegnugen.

2. Joe Blanton: I want to be happy about this, but I'm not. I want to be mad about this, but I'm not; I guess I'm indifferent. The prospects surrendered in the deal were a nice package, but they come with no guarantee. Cardenas has a bright future, but by "bright" I only mean a .280ish middle infielder with doubles power. Outman has a kick-ass last name, and has definite upside, but he wasn't helping the Phils in the '08 playoff push. Spencer, hell I even forgot he was still in the Phil minor league system...sayonara. Back to Blanton, not very good this season or in '06. Blanton in '05 and '07 good. He's better than Eaton, that's for damn sure. How much of a help he'll be this or next season is to be determined. I just hope this isn't Gillick's "big splash", because the only "big splash" coming from Blanton is in the pool when he jumps in due to his rather rotund figure.

3. Ryan Howard: Glad to see Corey removed the Mendoza Watch for him. For the better part of the season Howard deserved every bit of spite we threw at him, but he now deserves our respect as well. The K Watch is befitting of our mammoth slugger, as he plunges onward to the double crown (homerun and rbi title) he'll continue racking up k's along the way.

4. Jamie Moyer: Grand Pappy has an era below 4 and a record of 9-6. I thought this season would be the end of the road for Moyer being that I believed the National League would finally figure him out...I was wrong. At a charity function Moyer announced that he did not want this to be in last hurrah, and based on his numbers at age 45 I don't blame him. I'd like the Phils to work out a standing extension with him in that if he meets certain innings pitched he automatically has a 1 year 5 million dollar contract waiting for him the following season if he chooses to exercise it.

5. Happ/Myers/Eaton: Happ pitched well in 2 starts, but is stuck back in the minors. Myers pitcher horribly all season long, got exiled to Guam (not really, only Lehigh Valley), but is now getting another chance in the Phils rotation. Eaton has pitched shit-o-rific for nearly 2 seasons and is banished to long relief. Yeah, all that makes sense.

6. Nationally Televised Games: I don't know the record of games played by the Phils on a nationally televised stage (Fox, ESPN, or TBS), but my goodness it seems they really crap the bed every time they get the spotlight shown upon them, with yesterday's ugly loss and last Saturday's "bloodletting" being the most recent examples.

7. While on the beach I read Jayson Stark's The Stark Truth: The Most Overrated and Underrated Players in Baseball History. #1 overrated Phillie of all-time Bobby Abreu. I'll leave you with that.

~Carson

8 comments:

Los said...

2 more homers for Burrell yesterday ... shame that Kendrick came up small.

GM-Carson said...

Kendrick is bound to have outings like that because he's so damn hittable. Overall, he's been a Godsend though.

Maria said...

The Mets lost too so they only lost a game to the Marlins but Cole pitches today so hopefully that's an automatic win.

GM-Carson said...

Cole against the Marlins lifetime: 2-3, 4.78 era, 1.33 whip. Anything but an automatic win.

Bob D said...

What about that rumor of Holiday and Fuentes to Philly for Victorino, Carrasco, Happ, and Marson. The Phils would be crazy to do such a trade. Victorino with above average speed, defense/arm, and average offense along with the top 3 major league ready prospects in the Phils system would be just plain bad. I know Holiday and Fuentes are prime players who are very good, but that is too much to give up. Happ has already shown that he could contribute this year in the rotation while Marson could be one of the most coveted minor league prospect in baseball since he plays catcher.
I say replace Taguchi with a better OF, and not replace Victorino.

GM-Carson said...

2 runs, 2 f'n runs. Are you kidding me? I hate this offense over the past month+ now, they're flat out shitty.

GM-Carson said...

I see Blanton has the fun task of taking on the Mets and Johan Santana in his Phils debut Tuesday...oh joy!

BloodStripes said...

There goes the lead.