Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Thirsty Thursday

Chris Snelling - Sleeman Cream Ale

A week or so ago, my neighbor came over and gave me a 6-pack of cans of Sleeman Cream Ale. He said he got it at the local distributor for around 10 bucks a case and that it was surprisingly good. And boy was he right. For the price, I've never had a better can of beer. So, I went directly to my local supplier only to learn that they aren't distributing that beer in my area any longer and it was so cheap (usually around 14 bucks a case, still a bargain) because they had it on special to get rid of it. Such a disappointment...much like the disappointment that is Chris Snelling's career.

Snelling tore through the minors, hitting over .300 in each of his first 7 seasons. But as soon as he got to the majors, he tore up his ACL. He never really got healthy in Seattle and was traded twice before he ended up with the Phils. This year, he only has two hits, but both were clutch extra-base knocks. Unfortunately, he was sent down in favor of So Taguchi. And now that the anti-Taguchi train is picking up speed, Snelling is disabled in Lehigh Valley and awaiting results of an MRI on his knee and could possibly be out for an extended period of time. And we are stuck with Taguchi. Such a disappointment...
--------------------------
Chacon/Wade
"I grabbed him by the neck and threw him to the ground." - Shawn Chacon

Chacon channeled the angst of thousands of Phillies fans when he ended a confrontation with Ed Wade by hurling the scrotum-faced GM to the ground. To be honest, this isn't cool. A player can't go Latrell Sprewell on management. Chacon should probably be suspended for the rest of the season and his contract should be voided. Furthermore, I wouldn't mind it if Chacon never saw the field again. This kind of crap should not be tolerated. That being said, I'm ashamed to admit I chuckled a little when I read this. And I wondered, "Was Wade wearing his MedicAlert bracelet?"
--------------------------
The Oakland Series
Okay, WSBGM's needs a west coast correspondent because I'm too old to stay up that late. I only have one friend who lives in the pacific time zone, and he's a Giants fans, so I don't trust him to write about the Phillies... But anyways, I can't comment on the game because I've only seen the highlights and the boxscore. Apparently Utley got some hits and Kendrick didn't allow many. That's nice. Wins are good.

One thing I did see before I passed out was the lineup changes Manuel made. Rollins third, Victorino seventh, Utley second. Whatever. I think Manuel was just shaking things up to try to reverse fortunes. It's creative. It's not very Manuel-like. I like it. I don't think any of the changes are permanent, although I would like to see Pat Burrell sitting in the cleanup spot more often. This is at least the second time Burrell has occupied that spot against a LHP. But why isn't Burrell there against righties too? I realize Howard can't hit lefties at all (.180) but he isn't tearing up righties either (.240.) Until Howard is consistently hitting the ball, Burrell needs to sit in the 4-hole and Howard needs to move down in the order.

The rubber match of this series is set for 4:00 today. Adam Eaton squares off against Rich Harden, so the Phils don't have much of a chance. Be thankful you'll be at work and miss most of this one...

Corey

17 comments:

furiousBall said...

punk move by chacon, but if you're gonna pull a punk move on someone... well he picked a fine douchebag

Bob D said...

I heard it was Corey in a Shawn Chacon costume. A little revenge for the Schilling/Rolen/etc... trades.

Finally, Cholly moved Howard down in the lineup.

Stephanie Grace said...

"Was Wade wearing his MedicAlert bracelet?"

He gets his supplies from Liberty Medical. Diabeetus!

GreggyD said...

Glad to see the Phils again, but it still wasn't very pretty. Then again, I can't complain too much simply because they actually got the W.

It was good to see Chase put together an Utleyan performance again. At the same time, we now have Geoff Jenkins going 0 for his last 23. And to think I was satisfied that he, platooned with Werth, would be an excellent right field.

I don't see these lineup changes sticking either, simply because Howard can't be a DH, and I'm afraid it's going to go back to the norm after Interleague Play is over. Burrell needs to stay in the 4 spot though. I honestly don't care how far Howard hits down the lineup to be honest. It's almost a shame to put people in front of him because out of the position players, only Jenkins and Taguchi, and Ruiz have lower OBP's than him. He's just going to be a LOB machine at this rate seeing as Burrell, Utley, Coste, Werth, Victorino, and Rollins all have OBP's of close to .350 or greater, with Burrell at .410.

Howard's RBI and HR totals do not make up for his lack of hitting and strikeouts. He just sucks right now. Period.

ColinK said...

Watched the game on TiVO this morning...I could tell from the first batter Kendrick had his sink going. Good for him...maybe it was the mound that helped, seemed unusually high off the ground.
I too couldn't help but snicker hearing about Chacon v. Wade.
Another thing about the game last night...Howard had 3-1 in his 1st or 2nd at bat, should've taken the next pitch (slider low and outside) but flailed at it. 2 pitches later he's flinging his bat, inning over. Take the walk dag nabbitt! Anytime he has less than two strikes he should be taking all the way to get on base.

ColinK said...

GM, your Wade comment was milk through the nose funny!

GreggyD said...

1-0 A's in the bottom of the first with a runner on second and no outs. Fantastic start to this afternoon.

GM-Carson said...

Harden is flat out dominating this shitty offense. This offense aside from the occasional outburst is a joke.

GreggyD said...

Hitters are just flailing at his pitches right now and they can't pick up his stuff. It's ridiculous how much this offense has gone down hill since the Red Sox win.

ripjgarcia said...

Wow, he got out of the bases loaded jam.. Whats sad is I was predicting a salami.. Why do I have to be so down on the Phillies right now? Cause they are terrible at the moment.. no doubt about it.

GM-Carson said...

My emotional, irrational, logical, subjective, and objective opinion of this team is that they absolutely suck right now.

GM-Carson said...

Nice error Jimmy, way to make your crapfest complete with a big ol' E.

GM-Carson said...

This comment is not meant to take anything away from Harden or any of the other starting pitchers the Phils have faced recently, but this team is a complete and utter joke. All the negatives are snowballing into one huge negative called LOSING, and this team is getting very good at losing...that's scary.

Shutout yet again. Ryan Howard, pathetic. Geoff Jenkins, waste. Carlos Ruiz, exposed/should be disposed.

Eaton pitched well, but the Phils offense is nonexistent...yet another loss.

Los said...

Ed Wade ... man am I glad he's not here anymore!

We need Schmitty back in the lineup at this point.

SpeedRead said...

If it were anybody else I'd say ban him for life, but for some reason I think we should immediately trade for Chacon

SirAlden said...

Punk Move?!

Great Move! Wade was in his face.

He got exactly what he deserved.

Hope we sign him and he impregnates Anna Benson.

GM-Carson said...

Sir Alden- c'mon man, we joke on here a lot, but you have to admit Chacon crossed the line. Yes, it's a bit funny, but difinetely wrong at the same time.