Monday, May 12, 2008

Unraveling


How can the Phillies be 21-18? There's no way in hell they actually have a winning record. Was there a misprint somewhere along the line that went unnoticed that lead to this standings gaffe? When I watch this team, or listen to this team, or even read about this team, my initial thought isn't "winner". Winners don't lose series to the lowly San Francisco Treats. Winners don't have 10 million dollar firstbasemen batting a buck seventy-one. Winners don't have a defense with more holes than a golf course (33 errors). Winners don't have 3 out of 5 members of the starting rotation with an era above 5 (Moyer, Myers, and Eaton). Winners do beat up on lesser opponents (Nationals and Giants). Winners face adversity and overcome it. Winners win, and that's simply something the Phils haven't done enough of despite what their record may say. I'm worried about this team, I'm worried they're about to start unraveling because the hot hitters are cooling off (Utley and Burrell) and the other hitters aren't heating up (Feliz, Jenkins, Rollins, Victorino, Howard, and Ruiz). The knit-tight bullpen is starting to unravel as well, JC Romero being the first with others sure to follow. Hopefully this team snaps out of this mini-funk and proves me wrong, but until then I'm preparing for the slow painful unraveling.

Oh no, It go,
It gone, Bye-bye.
Who I, I think,
I sink, and I die.
If you want to destroy my sweater,
Hold this thread as I walk away,
Watch me unravel I'll soon be naked,
Lying on the floor, I've come undone.

~Carson

6 comments:

GM-Carson said...

I should notes that Kyle Kendrick's era is 4.93, pretty damn close to 5 as well. Seriously, people need to step up their game on this team.

furiousBall said...

the blue album is the best fucking album ever. not like as in the best album to fuck to... but it's good. yes.

GM-Carson said...

Weezer and Beastie Boys are my favorite bands of all time. Pinkerton is my favorite Weezer album, but the Blue Album ranks a close 2nd; Only in Dreams being my favorite song.

GM-Carson said...

From MLBTR-
Gillick Not Opposed To In-Season Extension Talks
According to Todd Zolecki of The Philadelphia Inquirer, Phillies GM Pat Gillick is open to breaking from his own policy and negotiating in-season with the team's impending free agents. Gillick's lame-duck status may necessitate it. I never liked the "no in-season negotiation" idea. Even with the possible distraction, you can't deny the huge cost savings compared to negotiating after the season.

The two Phillies everyone's wondering about are left fielder Pat Burrell and closer Brad Lidge. Burrell, 31, has cooled off a bit after a monstrous April. He still has a 1.042 OPS. He'd probably require four years and close to $60MM, and I don't see the Phillies doing it. Lidge is a more likely possibility; the 31 year-old is unscored upon in 17 innings. Fine acquisition by Gillick, even with Geoff Geary pitching well for Houston.

*I predicted a mid-season extension for Lidge before the season started, and I think it's a good idea if the price is right- 3 year 27-30 million. I'd like to keep Burrell around too, but anything beyond 3 years is very risky, hell 3 years may be risky.

Dan said...

Yeah...after my really long rant about Ryan Howard and Hanley Ramirez yesterday and their relative merits, today I'm just going to say this: Weezer is awesome, Blue Album is awesome, Only In Dreams is the most awesome of them all.

I'm also a huge fan of Across the Sea, Holiday, I Just Threw Out the Love of my Dreams, Perfect Situation, This is such a Pity...lots and lots of other stuff. Best band of the modern era, in my opinion.

GM-Carson said...

To all the Weezer fans, their new album is due out on June 24th, and the new sing "Pork and Beans" is on the radio now.