Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Freakin' Eaton


Six feet and ten inches may seem like an imposing size for a batter at the plate, but certainly not when it's the elderly pitcher Randy Johnson. However, to feeble minded Adam Eaton he must have made him quiver with fear because Eaton gave Johnson the Barry Bonds treatment by walking him with the bases loaded. C'mon, dude's strikezone is as big as a Volkswagen Beetle for crying out loud (red Punch Buggy, no hit backs)! For Eaton the game was a return to form, bad form that is, that we came to know all too well last season. Freakin' Eaton only managed to last 4 innings surrendering 3 back-breaking walks and 5 hits, one of those being a 3-run dinger; era now up to 5.63. I dislike Eaton, this should come as no surprise. He is in a Phils uniform though, so I root him on and hope for the best, but am often left feeling deflated due to his poor performances and the fact that he still has another year left on his contract.

More Maladies:
*Pedro Feliz wasn't sold to the Philadelphia Phans as an All-Star caliber 3rd baseman with a great bat, but the organization and baseball analysts did pop forest size wood over his defense. His bat is doing exactly what most predicted, which is not much, but his defense has been shaky at times and last night he committed his 4th error of the season.

*Speaking of errors, the Phils are back on an error binge, making 2 miscues in Monday's game and 2 more last night. Season total now up to 28.

*Ryan Howard as a pinch-hitter this season is a brief and ugly story; strikeout every time. Charlie really isn't doing him any justice by giving him an "off" day then turning around and letting him flail and fail as a PH.

___________________________________

No More Basket?
*Former Phillies 1st round pick and basketcase Gavin Floyd is finally fulfilling his "prospect" title as he pitched a near no-hitter for the second time this season. While in Philly he was a complete mess, walking nearly as many batters as he struck out accompanied by awful era's. Last year he moved on to the ChiSox and continued to flounder, but got a boost of confidence when being named to the rotation for them this season and has succeeded thus far with a 3-1 record and 2.50 era. I must admit that I was rooting against him in the 9th inning as I watched ESPN's bonus coverage...I'm an A-Hole, I know.

~Carson

18 comments:

Bob D said...

I love the Mendoza line watch on the side. Hopefully Howard will raise his average up and over it and can be replaced on the watch by someone who should be there (I hope not a starter).

When is help coming from the minors for the starting staff? Where's Benson? I am finally done with Eaton, that was a horribly pitched game. Release his $20 mil contract. Its better for the team to pay him not to pitch for us. He's had a year and a half to figure things out.

GM-Carson said...

Benson is still nursing a wounded groin.

JA Happy is pitching well for Lehigh Valley despite his horrible record.

Carrasco or Bastardo could get fast tracked if need be too.

Lefty junkballer RJ Swindle was just promoted to Triple A and may be replacing Clay Condrey in the bullpen.

Bob D said...

I figured out Howard's problem, he needs to switch positions. Its playing first base that prevents the hits and causes high strike out totals. Utley goes 0-4 with 3K's last night playing first. And we all thought it was Howard's mechanics/eye being off.

ColinK said...

I too was rooting against Floyd getting that no hitter watching Baseball Tonite, but you know what...I was also thinking about the "shark" Gillick getting 1 win for $10M from Garcia and giving up on Floyd and Gonzalez, all the while giving $24M over 3 years for that chump Eaton who was walking Randy Johnson to force in a run about the same time. Think about it, we dont make that trade for Garcia, thus saving whatever the difference is in paying Floyd the minumum and the $10M to Garcia, we don't sign Eaton (hooray) and we save another $8M for 2007. Dont get me wrong, we won the NL East, but how much better (and further) could we have been with a little less than $18M in our pockets and two prospects? Also we would have $8M minus the raise we would have to pay Floyd which would have been minimal cause he sucked royally last year anyway.

GreggyD said...

Well Carson, that makes two of us to be assholes then because I was doing the same thing. My girlfriend looked at me so curiously as I screamed for the Twins to get a hit, and when they finally came through and I burst out in laughter, she could not fathom what in God's name was so funny. Don't get me wrong, I would love his season stats in our rotation...buttttt that's not the case, so let him keep losing those no hitters. I'll get a good laugh every time.

GreggyD said...

I can't bash Gillick for making the Garcia deal. I think that this entire city was in love with it when it was done and we were all pretty excited about having a workhorse number 1. We didn't know that he probably wouldn't have passed a physical with that messed up shoulder of his. So yeah, I'm pretty bitter about that. But I can't lie to you and say that I didn't think it was a great deal, especially seeing as Floyd was getting torched the the big league level. I knew he would probably come into his own someday, but we needed to win right then. It just didn't work out for us.

GM-Carson said...

I'm not going to lie, I loved the Freddy Garcia trade and thought he was primed for a 15+ win season. Sure it sucks the way it turned out and obviously a more thorough physical examination should have been performed, but I can't fault Patty G for giving it a whirl.

Jacobin said...

I don't think anyone had a problem with wanting to get Freddy Garcia... the really issue we all have is that this team knew the guy had an injury the previous season and didn't bother with getting him checked out by a doctor before making the trade. Think they could have taken a look at Garcia and seen his shoulder looked like a cherry bomb went off inside of it?

And F* Gavin Floyd. It's a real shame he lost his bid for a no-hitter. Boo-hoo.

SirAlden said...

Fuck Floyd.

We betta win tonight.

GM-Carson said...

I love it that readers of this blog generally have the same resentment towards Gavin Floyd that I do...refreshing in a twisted way.

Mike said...

Donut Eater Lieber got bombed for five ER in 2 IP today.
Votto has 3 HR in 1st 6 innings.
Reds have 13 hits- 6 singles, 7 HR!!

chuckm said...

The sucess of Floyd punctuates the sad reality that the Phillies developing of pitchers is historically weak. Interesting note in Beerleaguer where Gillick made a trip to Reading to personally check out Tony Bastard.

GM-Carson said...

I will buy a Tony Bastard jersey, or at least jersey t-shirt, if he makes it to the Bigs. Amazing thing about Bastardo is that he's never lost a game in the minors.

I'm very nervous about tonight's game. Kendrick is very hittable, and the youn DBacks like to collect hits especially of the extra base variety.

ripjgarcia said...

Howard is starting to look silly at the plate. Alot of just BAD swings. Who is our hitting coach this year?

Dan said...

Two comments:

(1) Lieber is indeed a fat bastardo. Seriously, it's clear to me that he takes very little interest/pride in his conditioning. To me, that's pathetic for a guy who gets paid millions of dollars to play a game. Also, to me, it's worse for Lieber than for someone like David Wells. Wells was always overweight - whatever, it was how he was made, and he did pretty damn well with it. Lieber used to be pretty reasonably in-shape, and he just let himself go as he hit the late 30s...to me, that's just unacceptable for a professional athlete.

(2) Howard looks terrible, as is quickly becoming the norm. As an interesting thought exercise: say that he keeps this pace up, hits 25 HR, and strikes out, say, 250 times (I'm not sure if this is his actual pace, I'm just saying for the sake of argument). What would his arbitration award be next year? $3 million? More? Less?

The reason I ask is because it hurts so much to think about how much he really sucks, that I have to fill my head with these useless mental exercises...

GM-Carson said...

Every passing game I worry more and more about Howard.

On the bright side- We Won!

GM-Carson said...

Ryan Howard now batting .163 with 50 k's (pace- 231) and committed yet another error last night. He's horrible!

GM-Carson said...

SS Jason Donald is really starting to tear it up for Reading, now with his average up to .350 and a .940 OPS. He's quickly turning into a legit prospect.

Fellow Reading teammates C- Lou Marson (.330/.854) and OF- Greg Golson (.310/.800) are doing well too.