Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Opening Day Suckfest 2008

The stadium was packed with the high hopes of fans and brimming with pride as the defending NL East champs took the field. Things started off well, a 1-2-3 top of the 1st by Myers, a 2-nothing lead heading into the 5th, then everything turned to crap...

Happy:
*Chase Utley and Jimmy Rollins went deep, and overall had solid offensive showings for the game.

*6 runs scored...usually wins you a ball game.

*JC Romero pitched a brilliant 8th inning.

*Brett Myers pegged Paul LoDuca with a pitch, bringing a huge evil grin to this Phillies Phan's phace.

That's it for positives.

Unfortunate:
*Brett Myers after pitching well for the first 4 innings fell apart in the 5th and only ended up going 5 innings...not what we expect or need from our "ace".

*Geoff Jenkins unceremoniously struck out in his Phillies debut in a pinch-hitting appearance.

Sickening:
*Pedro Feliz lived up to his "Out Machine" moniker, as he made 5 outs in 4 plate appearances, twice killing rallies with men on and no outs.

*Jimmy Rollins had two defensive lapses in the field, both leading to a run for the gNats.

*Ryan Madson isn't any good, that 2-run bomb by Milledge hurt.

*Tom Gordon is going to have a 9+ era this season...seriously. He is horrible, and I don't think he can pitch any more. Current era of 135.00, because of 5 runs surrendered in 1/3 of an inning. F U very much Pat Gillick!

*Carlos Ruiz tried to pick off Nick Johnson at 3rd in the top of an already ugly 9th, throwing the ball away leading to another run.

*Despite Washington playing late last night and having one of the weakest offenses in baseball, they clobbered the Phils 11-6...losing April here we come.

Help?
According to the LA Times, relief pitcher Rudy Seanez has been signed by the Phillies and will be activated in time for Wednesday's game. It's time to see if this guy can help the bullpen, after all I've been calling for him to be signed the past 3 seasons. The 39 year old has pitched in the majors for 16 seasons with a handful of teams posting a 4.15 era, 1.41 whip, and more than a strikeout per inning pitched.

~Carson

20 comments:

GreggyD said...

It's going to be one long season with this bullpen coming the to ballpark everyday. My friend called me last night and said "Did they send Flash down yet?" That was a horrendous performance by our interim closer and it just makes me hope even harder that Lidge can get healthy very soon.

Chase and J-Roll looked amazing at the plate, and as we already knew, we don't have much to worry about with this offense (minus Mr. Feliz).

Welcome to Phillies baseball 2008...I'm getting scared for them to play tomorrow.

GM-Carson said...

I'm anticipating Lidge's return as well, but you must remember that Madson and Gordon will both be pitching crucial innings in the 6th-8th and both are always on the verge of imploding.

Corey said...

161-1 is still possible...

Corey said...

...but seriously, they broke camp with tim lahey on the roster. this pen could keep them from winning a wild card. the frustrating thing is that everyone of us has known how big of a shit-fest the bullpen was going to be for the last 6 months. hell, for the last 3 years! and they haven't been as pro-active as i and probably many of you would have liked. i'm carrying around my cell phone thinking i may get a phone call from pat gillick. i threw some pretty good wiffle-ball this weekend and my shoulder feels good...

GM-Carson said...

I'm ambidextrous when it comes to wiffle ball, I'll take league minimum.

michael said...

in fairness to Ruiz, the ball hit off Johnson's heel causing it to bounce over Feliz' head.

furiousBall said...

Tom Gordon is now required to list "leaving pitches up in the zone" as one of his hobbies on his baseball card

Dan said...

Worrying about Ruiz is silly, he's a great defensive catcher, it was just a freak play.

Gordon looked terrible, but he will bounce back. Ditto with Madson. That said, signing Seanez was a great move - he had a really good year last year stat-wise, and he also threw a ton of innings.

It's brutal to start off another season with a loss, but there's no sense freaking out. To put it in perspective, the Nats are currently leading the NL East...so the world is not in a stable state.

GM-Carson said...

Dan- freaking out is what I do, especially when it vindicates my complaints from the offseason (Feliz and pitching).

Also, I'm not worried about Ruiz. I think he's a very good catcher. However, that was a dumbass decision to attempt to pick off Johnson in the 9th.

michael said...

carson, had the ball not hit johnson, ruiz probably would of had him.

GM-Carson said...

You're right that Chooch would "probably" have had Johnson out at 3rd, but what everyone seems to be missing is the point that it was an ill-advised pick-off attempt because the possibility for an error leading to an even bigger inning and further rattling the pitcher on the mound. I like it when he's aggressive, but moreso when he tries getting guys at 1st base rather than 3rd.

SirAlden said...

Seanez and Lidge 4 Helms and Condrey. Excellent! Pat Gillick is already making great inseason moves! Only Gordon, Madson, and Eaton, 3 of 12 Pitchers are in the Doghouse. And the Braves have lost 2 in a row.

twistedwristah said...

I'm telling ya, Romero should be closing until Lidge gets back. I'd personally like to bitch slap Flash.

GM-Carson said...

I agree with Romero filling in as closer rather than flame-out Gordon, but the problem still remains bridging the gap from starter to Romero then (6-8th innings).

EckT1 said...

I just wonder why the Dodgers got rid of Seanez if he pitched so well for them last year. Also, does he take a pitcher's spot (Condrey) or Helms spot, and Helms goes down when Lidge returns?

GM-Carson said...

I say release newly acquired Rule 5 draftee Tim Lahey. Hopefully the Twins refuse him back and Lahey accepts a minor league assignment with the Phils. Condrey probably gets sent down once Lidge returns and the Phils won't likely eat Helms' contract and are still hoping to unloaded him somehow.

By the way, I'm glad chatter is picking up on here now since the season has started...I love having conversations in the comment sections of the posts.

EckT1 said...

I know what you mean about the chatter. I have been looking for places to talk and share opinions but things have been dead since I started covering the Phillies in Feb.

Los said...

Is Sparky Lyle still available?

adam brown said...

Hello I just entered before I have to leave to the airport, it's been very nice to meet you, if you want here is the site I told you about where I type some stuff and make good money (I work from home): here it is

GM-Carson said...

Thanks Adam Brown, I don't know what I would have done if you hadn't supplied that information for me. Now I can go on and chase my dream...