Saturday, March 15, 2008

No Light Bulbs Allowed

*For the second time this spring I am in agreement with Charlie Manuel. Either he read some self help books or being a father has softened me. Either way, Manuel is starting off on the right foot with me this season as he posted a sign in the clubhouse reading- It's not like a light bulb, you don't turn it on and off. For someone known throughout the game as a "players' manager" he's sending a clear message that they need to start playing better baseball regardless if the games really "matter" or not. I wholeheartedly agree with this, they need to fine tune right now so they can bust out of the gate come April rather than sputter along like they have the past 3 seasons. The other time I backed Charlie was when he chose Myers as the Opening Day starter over Hamels. Myers loved being closer and needs his ego stroked with the #1 status after being moved back to the rotation, while Hamels felt a sense of entitlement to the throne and needs to still prove himself to be a warrior on the mound.

*I am not really worried about Utley, Rollins, and company being able to produce offensively come the real season, but I'm terrified about our 5th starter. Not only am I pissing my panties (actually I'm rockin' a purple thong) about the 5th spot, I'm worried about Moyer and Kendrick too. Grand Pappy is the oldest player in baseball at 45, and he registered a 5.01 era last season (that's not really all that good unless you're playing slow-pitch softball); and at his age atrophy rather than improvement is expected. Kendrick is an enigma, being that he's a sophomore that doesn't have strikeout stuff and is pitching terribly this spring with many doubters among baseball analysts and writers. Also, in case you didn't know this already, our bullpen isn't very solid either. Pitching could quite easily be the death of the 2008 Philadelphia Phillies.

*Today is the WSBGM's Phantasy League 2 draft. My squad, Eaton LoveFest '08, plans on running the table once again this season, but to everyone else good luck trying to finish in 2nd place.

~Carson

8 comments:

GM-Carson said...

I got the 11th pick in the draft today...dammit! Corey has 17th though, so it could be worse.

Mike said...

The FTM! organization is proud to announce that Ed Wade has agreed to serve as a Special Consultant during the draft.

Hopefully, T.J. Bohn will still be on the board by the 15th pick.

GM-Carson said...

Length of draft prediction- 3 hours 16 minutes.

GM-Carson said...

Prince Fielder my top pick, almost got Howard.

GM-Carson said...

Official draft time- 3 hours and 10 minutes...I was pretty damn close.

Last pick- Jim Edmonds.

I got booted off the internet for over a half hour and missed 5 picks. Needless to say, I got screwed.

GreggyD said...

I am so sick and tired of looking at the scores of these games. The only good things that came out of today were that Ryan Howard continued to smack the ball around and Eaton actually had three scoreless innings despite surrendering five hits, but 11-2??????

Something needs to change or we're going to become the laughing stock of this division. I knew the pitching would be below average, but this is just abysmal.

GM-Carson said...

Our pitching makes me sick. Seriously, I think I just threw up and shit myself when I read the box score.

Sean said...

Carson, nice profile pciture.