Thursday, January 17, 2008

Big Girls Don't Cry- The Scott Rolen Saga

Scott Rolen has whined, whimpered, and cried his way out of America's heart and right into Toronto. Have fun in Canada you big cry baby!



I'm going to refer to Fergie on this-
I hope you know, I hope you know,
That this has nothing to do with you.
It's personal, Myself and I.
We got some straightenin' out to do.
And I'm gonna miss you like a child misses their blanket,
But I've got to get a move on with my life.
It's time to be a big girl now,
And big girls don't cry.
Don't cry.
Don't cry.
Don't cry.


Scott Rolen is a tremendous 3rd baseman, one of the best at fielding his position of all-time, and my wife would add that he has a great ass. While in Philly he was loved by fans until he started showing he was softer than room temperature butter and began running his mouth about how he felt the organization was heading in the wrong direction and wasn't committed to winning...by the way, we've been winning since you left! There were also well documented disagreements between himself and red-ass manager Larry Bowa. Finally Ed Wade had enough of Rolen's babyish attitude and refusal to sign a lucrative long-term contract and decided to ship him to St. Louis. With the Cardinals he found a home and even referred to St. Louis as "baseball heaven". Fast forward a few years- that same little bawl-baby Rolen is now feuding with manager Tony LaRussa and is demanding a trade...seeing a pattern here? The Red Birds granted Scott his wish and sent him packing to the Blue Birds. I doubt he finds comfort in playing half of his games on artificial surface or being further removed from his home in Indiana. I foresee troubles on the horizon in Toronto, as I believe they have a term for players like Rolen- "uncoachable". Good luck Scott, I don't miss you!

~Carson

11 comments:

Sean said...

I don't miss him either. The only thing I regret from his era was not being old enough to boo when he left (I was 10 when he was traded).

Kevin McGuire said...

I missed this news. Thanks for the info. Rolen a Blue Jay? Seems fitting that he goes from baseball heaven to a country that doesn't really care about the sport.

I regret the fact that things never worked out with Rolen. Even today I wish he were still playing third base for us. Honestly, I would probably take a beaten and worn down Rolen over our current day-to-day third base rotation any day. Besides, I think he would get along great with Charlie.

goDuke said...

Its too bad he ended up being such a whiny baby. If he only would have been a little tougher...

Corey said...

i hope that is the last time i read - "I'm going to refer to Fergie on this"

GM-Carson said...

I was going to use the Frankie Vallie version of "Big Girls Don't Cry", but I thought Fergie's would be more fitting for the situation.

I liked Rolen for awhile, but then he became a whiny bitch. I'd love to still have him if he weren't so mentally fragile.

furiousBall said...

shame all that talent gets wasted by being such a baby. he could have been such a fan favorite.

GM-Carson said...

People seem to only remember the hatred cast Rolen's way in Philly- in my opinion it is well-deserved. However, at one time he was loved.

By the way, I post some articles on Yardbarker.com and Dontrelle Willis (the real D-Train) commented on the 1 article...I think that's pretty cool.

Jacobin said...

I worked one season for the Reading Phillies (doing a little bit of everything), and that season would have been the year that Rolen played in AA. I saw every game he played and he was amazing, both at the plate and in the field. He was a lot of fun to watch, and looked to be a superstar in the making.

That being said, he's turned into a grade-A asshole since he became a big leaguer. It pissed me off when he moaned his way out of Philadelphia, but I can accept that someone just doesn't fit somewhere. Now with what has gone down in St. Louis, I don't think there's any question that the guy is totally self-absorbed and simply a pyschologically a wuss.

I hope he enjoys Canada and finishing third behind the Yankees and Red Sox for the remainder of his career.

Los said...

I agreed with one of his arguments, that the organization needed to spend more money on others around him ... however, he's such a diva ... when a manager dogs him a little, he folds like a lawnchair.

GM-Carson said...

Funny thing though, management did start to up payroll right as he was leaving by locking up Burrell, signing Thome, trading for Millwood.

SirAlden said...

He used it all as an excuse for his own selfish ends, he needed to be near mommy: calculated.