Saturday, September 08, 2007


I Beg To Differ:
Shane Victorino had this to say following last night's loss, "It seems like everybody wants to count us out. I'm not counting us out, and no one in here is counting us out." I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you guys are royally screwed! Only 22 games left to play and 6 back of the Mets in the NL East and 3 back of the Wild Card with 2 teams (Padres and Dodgers) ahead of them. Although not mathematically eliminated, your current play on the diamond finishes the equation which equals COUNTED OUT.

You's Gonna Get a Whoppin':
When manager Charlie Manuel was asked about using Chris Roberson as a defensive replacement again, he said, "I don't know yet. I plan on talking to him." What the hell does "talk to him" mean? Maybe Unka Chollie is going to take lil' Chris behind the woodshed for a good ol' fashioned butt-beatin'. Always the genius strategist, Manuel put Roberson in RF in Wednesday's game, where he committed an error and allowed 3 catchable balls to drop for "hits" and didn't have his shades on for the 1st 2 hits during a bright and sunny day game. Personally, I would have kept Jayson Werth in RF who is the better fielder with the better arm and placed Roberson in LF replacing Burrell...but hey, I was never the Japanese League MVP now was I.

I need to start this section off by saying that I do appreciate Ryan Howard's power and that I enjoy watching him hit. Now on to the negative- all he can do is slug and he rarely hits anything anymore, so there's not much joy in my enjoying of his at bats. It is true he has 37 homeruns and 113 rbi, but he also has 171 k's in only 453 at bats. Truth be told, when he makes contact the ball is jolted with a force that is imposed by only a few other men in baseball, but he simply does not make bat meet ball enough. He is purely an all-or-nothing slugger this season and that sickens me, because I'm scared it may become his career trend. Howard is fundamentally unsound in the field as well, where he has poor instincts, terrible range, and a horrid throwing arm. I'm not asking him to pick-it at 1st base like JT Snow, but the effort he's given this season is disgusting.

Penis Rhymes With Ennis:
Today's starter is innings-eater and shutdown staff ace John Ennis. I know everyone is excited to watch today's gem pitched by another Phils starter in the long lineage of excellence. We've had master twirlers Jamie Moyer, JD Durbin, Fabio Castro, JA Happ, Zack Segovia, Kyle Kendrick, Cole Hamels, Adam Eaton, Freddy Garcia, Kyle Lohse, and Jon Lieber take the mound in the starting format this season, so it's fitting that Ennis gets to do the same.

*Have faith, we're still in it, this team never gives up, they've got plenty of fight in them...ah, who am I foolin'?



BloodStripes said...

Win or lose we can always count on a good post here at WSBGM's. A smile can be had even at the worst of times.

Lets see what stopper Ennis can do.

Haven't heard from the Drama Queen for a while. I can sense a rant brewing.

Bob D said...

I had the same thoughts about Ennis, but then I was comparing him to Eaton.

The division is quickly becomeing out of reach, the wildcard is starting to look doubtful but it is still possible.

This team is very streaky, maybe just maybe the can rattle off a 13 game win streak.

Here in my area in NJ 2 people shot themselves and 1 CO'ed himself to death. I wonder if they are Philly fans? I wonder if they post on this blog? I wonder why noone is posting on this blog?

Maria said...

Everyone's too depressed to post. The Phillies could miraculously win 7 straight and the Mets could lose 7 straight. Disappointing is what it is.

GreggyD said...

I love this blog, I love reading the comments, but seriously I can't take the Phillies anymore. This build us up, rip us down thing is seriously so taxing on this fan base. Honestly, I think about 95% of Philadelphia right now is counting down the hours until kickoff in Green Bay tomorrow because they want the Eagles to try to relieve some of the strain that the Phillies have put on all of us in the past couple of months.

If the Phillies drop 2 of 3 or get swept in this series I officially am counting them out. I am so excruciatingly fed up and tired of inconsistency, particularly in the bullpen. I'd rather just finish the season and bring on the offseason. Not that the team will do anything to significantly improve areas of need, but at least with the offseason comes a sense of hope, even if it does turn out to be unjustifiable once the club runs on to the field for the first time.

I couldn't be more disappointed in this club right now.

Jacobin said...

Just how f*@#!ng horrible was the late inning meltdown against the Braves this past week? Prior to that game, major league teams were a combined 517-0 this season when leading by six or more runs in the eighth inning. Thanks to the great pitching from Gordon and Myers, not to mention the masterful management of the bullpen by Fuqua, the Phils broke through to become the only team this season to lose after leading by at least six runs in the eighth inning. Wow, how 'bout that?

I know Charlie is supposed to be fluent in Japanese, but I'm pretty sure he knows this Spanish phrase too: "Soy un perdedor."

BenJah said...

yesterday i made a "half baked" reference, and low and behold, i see jim bruer at the bar last night!! the guy looks twice as stoned in person as he does on tv.

maybe he has the same problem that fuqua has:

'you done smoked yourself RETARDED, son!!'

BloodStripes said...

A win! Nice.

furiousBall said...

Benjah, Get some sour cream and onion chips with some dip, man, some beef jerky, some peanut butter. Get some Häagen-Dazs ice cream bars, a whole lot, make sure chocolate, gotta have chocolate, man. Some popcorn, red popcorn, graham crackers, graham crackers with marshmallows, the little marshmallows and little chocolate bars and we can make s'mores, man. Also, celery, grape jelly, Cap'n Crunch with the little Crunch berries, pizzas. We need two big pizzas, man, everything on 'em, with water, whole lotta water, and Funyons.

Jacobin said...

9-1 win today. The way they've played following sweeping the Mets means that today's win inspired the following reaction from me: "Gee, that's nice. Oh well, better than losing again."

I think it's going to take five or six straight wins to inspire any kind of excitement in me at this point (or maybe the Mets having an epic collapse, or the Phils sweeping the Mets up at Shea-it Stadium). I want this team to win, but I'm feeling burned out on them after the last week... the choking in Atlanta still has me sick.

GM-Carson said...

Tom Gordon and Mr. Over-Hyped Brett Myers still have me fuming from Wednesday's awful loss. A loss is a loss, but that one was a killer.

A 9-1 victory is nice, but it's against one of the worst teams in the NL and MLB for that matter, so the Phils should be beating them.