Thursday, August 23, 2007

Phillies Phlashback Phriday: Mel Roach

The Phillies performance against the Pirates and Dodgers really bugged me. The defense had more holes in it than mosquito netting, the pitching was about as effective as Dollar Store bug repellent, and the offense seemed to be in their cocoon stage of their metamorphosis from awesome to crappy. Speaking of bugs I recently flashed back in time on a Monday rather than Friday, because of an episode of My Boys showing a brief glimpse of a 1962 Mel Roach card. Mel Roach wasn't good, in fact he was bad. He looked goofy and had a goofy last name...possibly why he got an obscure reference on a tv show. Mel Roach's life-time stats are good for a laugh much like the comedy series My Boys (I recommend- Mondays at 10 on TBS). Roach started his career in Milwaukee in 1953, where he played until getting traded mid-season to the Cubs in '61. His stay in Chicago was brief as he went on to end his career as a Phillie in '62 when he batted .190. With a .190 batting average, you may think the Phils got the shaft, but Roach actually stunk his entire career- 8 seasons with only 119 hits and a .238 average while playing some outfield and 1st, 2nd, and 3rd base. Essentially he's utterly forgettable except for that name.

Papa Roach offers these calming lyrics for a tortured Phillies Phan's soul.
Cut my life into pieces,
I've reached my last resort.
Suffocation, no breathing,
Don't give a f**k if I cut my arms bleeding.
Would it be wrong, would it be right?
If I took my life tonight, chance are that I might.
Mutilation out of sight,
and I'm contemplating suicide.
Cause I'm losing my sight, losing my mind .
Wish somebody would tell me I'm fine.
Nothing's alright, nothing is fine!


___________________________________

Screwed:
*Despite playing terribly over the last two series, the Phils still remain in contention. They are 5 games back of the Mets in the NL East, and 2 games back of the Padres for the Wild Card. No doubt they've screwed themselves lately, but they have an opportunity to make up ground with a weekend series at the Cit with San Diego. In my opinion, our only hope at the playoffs is via the wild card, so this series could determine the fate of our season.

*Chase Utley begins his rehab assignment for Reading tonight, but I'm not counting on him to save this team. I don't think inserting a rusty or even blazing hot Utley into this lineup is going to fix Ryan Howard and his clueless approach at the plate. I know Chase doesn't pitch, so his return doesn't change the fact that we're screwed with the worst starting rotation in baseball and a pile of poop for a bullpen to boot. I'm glad Chase is coming back, but there's a lot wrong with this team right now that even the team MVP can't change.

*Following 5 innings of 1-run ball, thee Model Dictator Fabio Castro was optioned back down to Ottawa for Brian Sanches...oh, playoffs here we come!

~Carson

21 comments:

GM-Carson said...

Interesting and disgusting tid-bit: recently recalled Brian Sanches has allowed 11 homeruns in only 34 MLB innings pitched. That sucks!

GM-Carson said...

Another interesting and disgusting tid-bit: recently demoted Chris Roberson has nary a walk in 66 MLB at bats spanning 2 seasons. That sucks!

furiousBall said...

I bet Mel got more ass than a toilet seat back in the day.

Jacobin said...

I cannot believe that they've recalled the Dirty Sanches. I guess they want another option out of the bullpen who is good for giving up four or five runs in a third of an inning.

BloodStripes said...

Catching up on the last few days posts. I been way too busy. Only managing Phils replays. Should be back live next game for the Phils to recover somewhat and beat the Padres.

Phils in a bit of a hole. As if missing Utley and Vic wasn't enough, having Hamels on the DL really hurts. Good to see Vic back but man we need Chase. Hurry up mate and get back to Philly.

What a ragged rotation we have. It may not make much of a difference but is Freddy near a return?

Bob D said...

"the pitching was about as effective as Dollar Store bug repellent" - isn't that stuff more harmful for the user than for bugs? Actually that sounds like the bullpen after all.

SirAlden said...

Sanches for Casto?

I wish we could directly ask who wanted this.

Sanches/Condrey room together maybe....nah....

SirAlden said...

Dr. Strangeglove Dick Stuart Please for Phlashback Prriday.

McD said...

Another quotable quote from the 2007 Manager of the Year:

"You've got to get enough pitching for nine innings to do the job, and that's kind of what we're not getting."


Charlie, you are a genius!

Jacobin said...

I was trying to imagine what the score of tonight's game would be, but I realized that there is no way to even begin guessing unless we know if Maddux will be getting pitches called the way he wants (see six inches off the plate).

GM-Carson said...

All games matter, but these next 3 against the NL Wild Card leading Padres are the biggest games of the year to date. I'm feeling pessimistic, but I enjoy being proved wrong in these situations.

Maria said...

Castro walked 6 in five innings and it wasn't pretty but they still could have kept around for bullpen use against lefties. he only gave up one run and it was because he walked the pitcher. I hope this move doesn't work against the Phillies.

Bob D said...

He wouldn't be available for another 3 days after starting, so they wanted another arm.

Being swept would leave the team 5 out of WC
Winning 1 3 out
Winning 2 1 out
Sweeping up by 1 over the Padres

Jacobin said...

Two years ago we went into a series against the Astros late in the season and got swept, which effectively is what kept us out of the playoffs that year. I really hope this doesn't wind up being a repeat of that kind of lousy history.

Maria said...

Jose Mesa is wonderful.

Maria said...

And Chase went 1-3 in Reading today.

Bob D said...

Yes, Mesa is doing great. A few more runs and the Dodger game will seem like a low scoring game. What a horrible game.

Bob D said...

Atleast the Dodgers lost. Now only 3 out of WC and 6 out of NL East.

Jacobin said...

Over the last seven games, the pitching staff is giving up an average fo 9.5 runs a game. This is disgusting. This is the time of the season where players need to reach into themselves and gut it out. Our pitchers are just making me want to puke my guts out.

Nice to see Victorino back... oh wait, he left in the eighth inning with a calf injury (watch this linger until the end of the season).

BloodStripes said...

The Phils are rooted and falling fast. Who is the stopper now. Lohse? Oh man. How about Kendrick? C'mon Phillies!

GM-Carson said...

They phuckin' suck!