Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Welcome to Paradise

Dear Mother, can't you hear me whining? It's been 3 whole weeks, since I have left your home. This sudden fear has left me trembling, 'cause now it seems that I am out here on my own, and I'm feeling so alone. Pay attention to the cracked streets and the broken homes. Some call it slums some call it nice. I wanna take you through a wasteland I like to call my home...Welcome to paradise!

The Phillies have been in Florida for spring training for 3 weeks now, and that's officially 2 weeks and 5 days too long already. I figure 1 day is enough for fielding and bunting practice along with some jogging followed by 1 day for an exhibition game...then bring on the season! I'm sure it feels like paradise down there basking in the warm Florida sun rays, but up here in PA I'm just getting antsy for some real baseball. Yesterday the Phils played the Ass-tros and ended the game kissing their sisters (sloppily I might add, that's some West Virginia type stuff) with a 6-6 tie. Seems like we can always find some positives and negatives from these games, but bottom line is these stats don't freaking count! Yet I sit here analyzing what bullpen candidate is having the best Grapefruit League showing and monitoring the bench competition...I'm pathetic.

Idiotic Inklings:
*Frail, delicate, brittle, flimsy, breakable, fragile...What are synonyms for Tom Gordon? He's heading back to Philly for a "routine exam"...oh crap!
*Jimmy Rollins now has 8 walks this spring. Last season he found his power stroke (that sounds dirty) and now if he could learn to be a bit more patient and work the count we could be looking at the leadoff hitter we've always longed for.
*Chris Roberson wins the No-Talent Ass-Clown award as he was optioned to the minors before his challenger Danny Sandoval.
*Michael Bourn has some serious speed, and it won't be long before he's roaming the Phillies outfield and stealing bases with ease.
*Justin Germano and Clay Condrey are both out of minor league options and pitching well thus far this spring. Other teams would be sure to scarf these guys up should they hit the waiver wire, so I'm hoping they can prove their worth and find a niche in the Phils bullpen.
*Lefty Matt Smith looks like Puddle of Mudd's lead singer.



~Carson

20 comments:

BloodStripes said...

He does too. Pull taht face on the mouind, who knows what he can achieve.

One more year flash! One more year! Make that arm rubber!

BloodStripes said...

Those typos look Welsh.

GM-Carson said...

As per usual, I love your comments BloodStripes.

BloodStripes said...

Feeling good my friend. I'm glad you guys started daylight savings early. I get to catch the new days post at a decent time of night over here.

With the baseball season around the corner life is good. When it comes back around it makes you realize how things just aren't as good without it.

GM-Carson said...

BloodStripes- you just unintentially used another Green Day reference "when it comes back around" aka "When I come around".

Skeeter said...

You have just inspired me to listen to 'dookie.' Haven't heard that in quite some time. Bravo.

GM-Carson said...

Corey and I are big Green Day fans. I like to throw punk references into the mix on here every now and then. Dookie is a great album from beginning to end.

goDuke said...

And Dookie of course reminds me of the NCAA tourney. Although my boys are having an off year of it (for them) I still have to say... GO DUKE!

GM-Carson said...

My boys (Bucknell) got beat by Holy Cross on Friday for their chance at the NCAA tourney.

furiousBall said...

Mr. Parker: Fra-gee-lay. That must be Italian.
Mrs. Parker: Uh, I think that says FRAGILE, dear.
Mr. Parker: Oh, yeah.

GM-Carson said...

FuriousBall- the Christmas Story is one of my most favorite movies of all-time...classic!

Los said...

So, the Phils had to send Gordon back to Philly for a ROUTINE exam? Seriously? Are there no doctors in Florida that can handle doing a ROUTINE exam? Makes no sense. So, if and when Gordon does break down, who will take over closer duties? Madsen? Geary? Alfonseca?

GM-Carson said...

Los- I heard rumblings that Abe Nunez has a nasty slider and will be the closer should Flash go down.

goDuke said...

You gotta go Alfonseca. He has extra fingers and toes and that has to count for something. I think that Flash should be the setup man for Alfonseca. I remember when he was on the Marlins he always shut the Phils down... now its his turn to do the same to everyone else. Big year. And Barajas just went yard.

GM-Carson said...

Clay Condrey not having a good outing...he can't afford too many lapses like this.

Victorino and Helms both continue to hit...I can only hope this is real.

GM-Carson said...

Rowand is having an awful spring. We need his defense an offense. He plays a great CF (despite crappy arm), but his bat is being depending on too.

Eaton was ok today, and that's all he is- an "ok" pitcher.

Condrey sucked today, 5 runs in 1 inning...ouch.

GM-Carson said...

I just saw the coolest f'n commercial ever, with John Krunk as an 80's metal singer and Petter Gammons rockin' out on the guitar for ESPN fantasy leagues...awesome!

McD said...

I like Rowand's drive and enthusiasm, but he certainly is not a superstar. I know he is still recovering from that nasty injury, but he needs to produce like he did for the White Sox in 2005.

das411 said...

Ahhhh Green Day, is it 4th grade again?

And yes, being down in FLA for spring training is quite terrific, too bad I am not near Clearwater but I just might get to see former Phil Rheal Cormier at the Reds/Rays game tomorrow, oooo...

does anybody else have a sneaking suspicion our big deadline bullpen addition this year will be Scott Mathieson?

GM-Carson said...

Can our bullpen really suck this bad?