Friday, March 02, 2007

It only gets worse...

As most of you know I received XM Satellite Radio for Christmas (thank you Jesus and Santa). My wife and family can attest that I was already overly consumed with baseball before this gift, but now it's a whole new ballgame (pun intended). The past two days I have been as happy as Pat Burrell in the Red Light District, because I've been able to listen to baseball again. Yesterday on the ride home I tuned in to catch the Phillies lose to the Tigers 9-7. And I must say, the Tigers announcers were decent, but that hasn't been the case with other teams. In fact, I feel spoiled being a Phillies fan growing up listening to Kalas, Whitey, and gasp, Wheeler. Yep, even Chris Wheeler's seemingly retarded bantering is better than most, and I like the current day Larry Andersen as well. Anyway, it only gets worse from here as I'm already entirely consumed with baseball (tv, radio, fantasy leagues, and internet) and there's a baby on the way. I need to get my priorities straight...guess I'll just quit my job!
_________________________________

Keepin' it Real:
*Over at BeerLeaguer I have been sharing with them some of my favorite terms for players that I view as inferior (i.e. Nunez, Sandoval, Karim Garcia). No-Talent Ass-Clown is a favorite of mine, and I've recently added zero-ability butt-jester as a less offensive/PG version. Some of the boys over there decided to play in the game as well and contributed: Nil-Skill Rectum-Mummer, Nada-Knack Bum-Buffoon, and Aught-Ability Rump-Ribald. I guess I should feel honored?
*Greg Dobbs, waiver wire pick-up from Seattle, is on fire thus far (2 homers in 2 days, 3-4 yesterday). Of course it's only been two games and one was against college kids, but you get the point. He's in a battle with Karim Garcia for what seems to be the final bench spot. Dobbs can play corner infield and outfield, Garcia only outfield. Dobbs is younger with a bigger upside, Garcia is a "veteran" which gives him the upperhand in Ol' Fuqua's eyes.
*I was under the impression that fundamentals were being stressed during the spring, 3 errors in yesterday's game tells me otherwise.
*Brett Myers takes the mound today. I'm predicting a no-hitter...c'mon it's spring, optimism springs eternal (once again pun intended).
*Thee Model Dictator, Fabio Castro, was lights out yesterday throwing 3 innings of 2 hit 0 run ball while striking out 2. He needs to be in our bullpen, plain and simple.

Message from Thee Model Dictator: "DominarĂ© todo estos asnos de ramera en el nivel de MLB. ¡Soy el Dictador Modelo, el gobernante, el rey, el mejor!"...yeah, what he said!

~Carson

14 comments:

furiousBall said...

I'm not sure why this popped into my head, but I remember this old timers game that was at the Vet. I distinctly remembered JR Richard throwing the first pitch to Whitey Ashburn. He could still bring it to put it lightly. He honestly brushed old Whitey off the plate with a mid-eighties fast ball high and tight. The crowd went oooooh. How would that have been if King Richard beaned Whitey? He'd wish he had another stroke probably.

BenJah said...

yeah, carson, get your priorities straight! spring is here, the baby isn't (yet). besides, your woman can take care of it: in some native american societies, the men didnt have ANY interaction w/ the children until they were 7 years old.

Corey said...

carson, you got XM radio? when? is it any good? can you listen to it in your car? does it broadcast baseball games? maybe i should consider getting it...

also dude, you have officially lost your right to talk shit on chris wheeler. i read that benedict arnold-like comment over at beerleaguer where you gave wheels props. i threw up all over the computer and am still a little sick about it. i haven't been this disappointed since i found out milli vanilli didn't sing on their album...

GM-Carson said...

wow- I am getting completely blasted on my own blog.

What can I say, I'm obsessed and happy with my XM radio...didn't know I was droning on about it.

About Wheeler- he is better than other teams announcers, my opinion, sad but true.

GM-Carson said...

News & Notes:

*Marlins starting pitcher Josh Johnson might miss at least the first month of the season and could be lost for the year because of possible nerve damage in his right arm, sources said Wednesday. Johnson is scheduled to have an MRI today because of lingering pain that has prevented him from throwing at full speed since September.

*Smoltz on Schilling- “That’s stupid, in my opinion,” John Smoltz said of Curt Schilling’s stance, and said he wouldn’t make a similar demand. “That’s the reason I’ve been here so long, the reason the city is great [to me], the fans are great, is because I’ve avoided all that silly stuff. I had one little hiccup last year, which won’t happen again.” He was referring to his complaint late last season about the Braves’ delay in picking up the relatively bargain-rate $8 million 2007 option on his contract.
That's why I have tremendous respect for John Smoltz.

From the mouth of David Wright- Mets 3B David Wright, appearing as a guest on FSN's "Best Damn Sports Show Period," responding to Phillies SS Jimmy Rollins saying the Phillies are the team to beat in the NL East: “We don’t feel the need to run our mouths. We’re the defending National League East champions. Last I checked, whoever talks the most doesn’t get the division title. We’re going to go out there and do our talking with our bats and our gloves.”
Damn him to hell!

GM-Carson said...

• Pat Gillick went to Jays camp and watched right fielder Alex Rios and Frank Thomas take batting practice, and Jeff Blair is dead-on in speculating about the circumstances: The Phillies have an extra starting pitcher, in Jon Lieber, that the Jays could use; the Phillies would love to have a right-handed bat like Rios in the middle of their order, to bat behind Ryan Howard. And the dominos would continue to fall -- if the Phillies get Rios, it's very possible they could move Shane Victorino to center, then turn around and again pursue the Aaron Rowand-Scott Linebrink deal. Lieber is battle-tested in the AL East, and has the perfect mindset to pitch against the deep lineups of the Red Sox and the Yankees. The Phillies, by the way, would clearly have to give up more than Lieber to get Rios; a good but not great minor-league pitching prospect might be in order. Gillick is not the type to tell folks what he's doing -- even Toronto GM J.P. Ricciardi, with whom he apparently shared idle chat -- but there's no way he went to Jays camp just to kill time.

Lieber for Rios...ok!

Corey said...

pirates v braves, ESPN right now...

GM-Carson said...

Dammit, work is getting in the way again. I could be at home with the Phils on the radio and Buccos on the tv, but no, I'm here. Having the need for money sucks!

GM-Carson said...

Rollins steals a base, Victorino steals a base. Howard walks, Burrell gets a hit. This is what I hope to see all season long!

Howard's contract renewed for 900k.

BloodStripes said...

Yep all season long. Thats what we want.

Those bum joke nicknames are hilarious. A real 'crack' up. Ha!

I already prefer Dobbs over Garcia. I'm sold. A young bloke on the up is better than an old bloke on the way down.

And yes.......Thee Model Dictator for the bullpen!

GM-Carson said...

Phils win 6-4. Myers gave up two homeruns, Howard hit a major bomb, Madson sucked in an inning's work giving up 2 runs, Alfonseca looked good, and Karim Garcia is actually hitting the ball well (4-8 now).

GM-Carson said...

Rumor has it, that Bernie Williams turned down a $2 mil offer from the Phils. Wanted more guaranteed playing time and money...good luck with that.

BenJah said...

pirates v braves!? spring training baseball!!??

too bad i dont own a tv

michael said...

bernie is a little delusional.