Tuesday, February 13, 2007

What to do?

The Phillies are ready to report to spring training with what seems to be a set roster. Yes, the bullpen and bench needs to be battled out, but in general the roster is "complete". Amid a plethora of rumors, Jon "Donut" Lieber and Aaron "Danger" Rowand are still Phillies. I pose the question- what should Gillick do to strengthen the team before April?


Options:


1. Keep Lieber. Let him be the 5th starter, because he's actually better than Adam Eaton. Plug Eaton into the bullpen and see if he can help. Then if any starter sees DL time during the season, Eaton is right there to step in. Problem being, Eaton is a pricey reliever, and we're not sure if he'd be able to handle the role shift. In all honesty, signing Eaton was a mistake, but it was done before Gillick pried Freddy Garcia away from the ChiSox, and in turn found no reasonable offers for Lieber...hindsight is 20-20.


2. Trade Lieber for bullpen help or an outfielder. St. Louis, Houston, Washington, Texas, and probably some other clubs will be looking for starting pitching throughout spring training. Otsuka from Texas would be a steal, and Houston has some quality relievers to spare. Washington has Ryan Church on the trading block, who would make a nice platoon with Jayson Werth in RF. The Cubs rotation will prove to be shaky, and Lieber for Jacque Jones wouldn't be out of the question. The only reason we'd need an outfielder is if we trade Rowand and then move Victorino (the better defensive CF) to CF.


3. Keep Rowand. If he could manage to stay healthy for an entire season, he'd put up respectable numbers out of the 6 or 7 hole (.275, 20+ hr, 80+ runs, 80 rbi, and 10+ sb), along with continued fanfare because of his ballsy play.


4. Trade Rowand. I want Scott Linebrink, and if the Padres will swap Rowand for him, then do it!


Since I believe I should be GM, here's what I do- Trade Lieber for Ryan Church and move Rowand for Linebrink.



*Notice how the new acquistions would be sporting the all important facial hair?

~Carson


18 comments:

GM-Carson said...

This stupid snow is going to mess up my 4-day President's Day weekend...damn Mother Nature!

goDuke said...

Stupid snow is right... I thought it was starting in the afternoon, by my reckoning, 7:30AM is not the afternoon. Driving home will be fun. (Go Phils)

Skeeter said...

Snow is absolutely satanic.

Your suggestion is brilliant. We don't NEED Rowand and we do NEED bullpen help. I'd love Church since we need a left handed bat in our lineup. I just wonder if the Nationals will take Lieber. They don't have a shot this year and Lieber is an old, overweight pitcher in his contract year. Not much there for Washington.

GM-Carson said...

My school is being dismissed at 10:15, but it's going to be a helluva ride home.

furiousBall said...

I'm ok with keeping out line-up as is. If we don't move Rowland, that's OK with me. I agree, the Eaton deal was horrible, Lieber is a much better option as a fifth starter.

goDuke said...

I say the Phils do a 6 man rotation... with the first four going every start, and #s 5-6 taking turns. That way Lieber can keep eating donuts and Eaton won't get over worked. How about that for fancy? (ok, that would never work, but it would keep Dr. Donut in pinstripes, which would be fun)

GM-Carson said...

Some day down the road MLB may turn to a 6-man rotation, but I hope not. I wish it were still 4 man rotations like it was back in the 70's/early 80's. So many scrubs get to be starters in baseball because the "need" for a 5th starter. Imagine if teams started going to 6 man rotations.

chuckm said...

Carlos Zambrano throws down the gauntlet and demands that the Scrubs extend his contract or he walks after 2007. I hope the Cubs show him the money as I would say that if Z-bo is a FA after this season, he will likely end up a Mutt.

GM-Carson said...

Zambrano, Carlos not Victor, as a Met would be f'n scary!

Do you think Chris Coste would have any trade value if he doesn't make the Phils roster?

Corey said...

yeah, teams will line up to get an old 3rd string catcher, who can't make a team short on catching talent.

oh by the way, my fantasy team, "otis nixon's coke bitches" are going to take it all this year...

GM-Carson said...

Corey- how many possible teams can we have in a yahoo fantasy baseball league? I think 15 would be very interesting and competitive.

furiousBall said...

ahh craps i keeps forgetin', is registration still open for the league?

byaaaa!

BenJah said...

i dont have a problem with keeping those guys right now while their value is low. why is going to camp with depth a bad thing?? really, the roster isn't set, b/c what makes the good teams great (or horrible, for that matter) is the "unexpected."

projections blow, as you say, so don't force the trade and see how things play out

michael said...

i need a name for my phantasy team.. i am open for all suggestions.

Los said...

Can't we see if any of those teams wants Burrell and his strikeouts?

Cursed Empire said...

Sure I'll trade links with you. I'm linking to your sites right now.

GM-Carson said...

I'm famous, well not really. On the pennlive Phils forum I defended Burrell and strikeout hitters in general and the Patriot newspaper picked it up and ran it in today's paper...I feel so honored, ha! Ya here that Los, Burrell is good!

As far as the WSBGM's Phantasy League goes, I emailed the 12 teams that are in for sure. I have to confer with Corey and see if more is a good idea or not. I'm glad so many people are interested though.

Skeeter said...

I'm drafting Burrell with my first pick


....not really, but I will get him