Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Damn you Millwood!

Kevin Millwood- Philadelphia Phillies 2003 staff ace and missing piece to the playoffs...not quite. Was Kevin Millwood a top-notch starting pitcher with the Braves before coming to Philly? Yes. Has he been a top-notch starting pitcher with the Indians and currently Rangers since leaving Philly? Yes. Was he a top-notch starting pitcher during his tenure in Philly? Some times, but I still blame him for all the evils of the world. Millwood rode into Philly fresh off of an 18 win 3.24 ERA season with Atlanta. We so desperately needed an ace, and Millwood was instantly dubbed so. He had moments of brilliance (no-hitter, 3 total shutouts), but overall he was a failure according to his billing of "staff ace". Speaking of billing, he took nearly $21 million from the Phils in just 2 seasons. One of the things that bothered me most about Kevin was that he played with less heart than an organ donor. He was so nonchalant on the mound and in the batters box. Hell, he struck out 60 times in 114 at bats, that's over half for you Charlie Manuel-like math geniuses. I know a pitchers job is to pitch, but laying down a bunt should also be on the list of duties. Here is what Kevin Millwood gave to the city of Philly in his 2 seasons (03-04): 23-18, 60 games started, 363 innings, 294 k's, 4.43 ERA, 1.35 WHIP, and a rotten taste in our mouths. Damn you Millwood, damn you!

I'm always researching the internet for information on our brainiac skipper Charlie Fuqua Manuel. Just yesterday I came across this picture of his apparent twin brother, who in turn appears to be actually the smarter of the two.

~Carson

18 comments:

Moe Ville said...

I beleive thats a picture of Albert Fuqua Manuel. I read someplace that he has not one, but two plates in his head and an IQ of 73. Which, is indeed, four points higher than his famous brother.

GM-Carson said...

Welcome to the fold Moe Ville. And if Al's IQ is 73, what would that make Charlie's?

michael said...

Phillies Millwood= LAZY.

GM-Carson said...

My thoughts exactly!

furiousBall said...

you know Millwood is the only one that came out of that trade in any better shape. At first we all thought we had just fleeced the ever loving crap out of the Braves. Johnny Estrada for an 18 game winner? HA! Then Millwood proceeded to well, Millwood us and Estrada was an all-star. Estrada is riding pine somewhere now due to an injury (I think). Millwood is making sweet moolah in the AL now. The only joy I have in all this is that my dog is at home humping a Kevin Millwood bobblehead. Well, I guess my dog won in that trade too.

GM-Carson said...

Estrada was catching for Arizona, but was traded this offseason to Milwaukee where he will be the starter. Millwood is getting paid hansomely in Texas along with ex-Phillie Padilla.

Furiousball- you have one sick pooch!

furiousBall said...

my dog said the Millwood bobblehead gave him that come hither look

GM-Carson said...

Just read the Phils are the front-runners to employ the service of Dustin Hermanson. I want this to happen, because for some odd reason I have a good feeling about it.

D. Page said...

My god, that is one ugly looking brother.

And I'd like Hermanson on the roster as well, he was a very successful closer for the ChiSox before Bobby Jenks took over.

Moe Ville said...

I know, I know an IQ of 69 is probably a little too high of an estimate for Uncle Charlie. For me Millwood=Trans Fats....a lot of em'.

GM-Carson said...

Seriously though, doesn't that picture sort of look like Charlie Manuel? The man just looks stupid!

GM-Carson said...

Yesterday someone thought Alfonseca only had 6 fingers on his glove hand. Phillies.com reports he has 6 finger on each hand and 6 toes on each foot.

michael said...

Cholly's twin brother.....Hello Handsome. ; ^)

Moe Ville said...

Yea, Charlie with a seriously botched root-canal.

BenJah said...

that millwood trade still bugs the crap out of me. i always thought that they should have made estrada a 3rd baseman (athletic switch hitter) or something.....but instead they traded for millwood and signed david 'dickenbut' bell.

as for the last post: i will concede that thome was the best guy in 2003, but they next year vlad guerrero was a free agent. why not wait and get him or someone else. that like outdoing the cubs this year for soriano when next year we could have andruw jones or torii hunter.

BenJah said...

some good news!! maybe lieber can follow this example

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2756644

Los said...

He certainly wasn't Joe Cowley, but he also wasn't anywhere near Steve Carlton, unfortunately.

GM-Carson said...

The reason I put so much blame on Millwood is because I wanted him to do well. I wanted him to be the staff ace. I wanted him to win 20 games and lead the Phils into the playoffs...never happened!

Andruw Jones or Torii Hunter would be excellent additions to the 2008 Phils...bye-bye Rowand.