Thursday, January 04, 2007

Sweatin' To The Oldies

My New Year's resolution is to get back into shape. While I had my cast on for nearly two months I was not running my typical 5.5 miles a day and I packed on 15 pounds from laziness and the holidays, which left me with a Lieber-esque body...yuck. Yesterday I went for a run and had an interesting encounter along the way. There was an old dude running and I was just going to pass him and let that be that, until I noticed his 1980 Phillies maroon and white knit cap, who also had a killer peppered mustache (classic). The conversation went like this...
Me- "Hey, are you an old school Phillies fan?"
Old Dude- "Unfortunately yes."
Me- "Me too, I love 'em!"
Old Dude- "That's a long tough life to lead."
Me- "I can't help it, I'm addicted."
Old Dude- "I've been addicted for 50 long years."
Me- "Only 27 here, but I enjoy the ride."
Old Dude- "Just don't go insane enjoying the ride...have a nice run."

*One thing that's true about Phillies fans, we can always commiserate together. The Old Dude did have some words of wisdom for me, as I do need to enjoy the ride, but actually enjoy it without insanity ensuing...tough to do when rootin' for the Phightins.

Richard Simmons may have been the first to "sweat to the oldies", but the Vandals have a great live album titled the same. It has a good punk cover of Grease's Summer Lovin' and other great punk songs like Anarchy Burger (Hold the Government), Mohawk Town, and Hey Holmes!.

~Carson

20 comments:

GM-Carson said...

Just read that the Rockies are considering bring Sal Fasano to camp. Fu Manchu lives on!

GM-Carson said...

Another ex-Phil rumor- Nats are looking to sign Ryan Franklin to fill out their rotation...wow the Nationals are desperate!

~Carson

Peter N said...

Thanks you for reading and commenting on my blog.....come back often! Peter from Connecticut and Peter's Red Sox Forever.

http://peteronall.blogspot.com/

And thanks guys...your blog is great. I shall return. Someone else said that many years ago. Starts with an "M." Hmmmm...

furiousBall said...

Damn it, I have to give blood in an hour or so and I see the Richard Simmons about to let the mouse out of the house. I'm going to pass out with some Red Cross lady trying to pick me up and I'm going to have visions of Richard Simmons hanging brain. Damn it.

Maryland Orioles' Fan said...

Nice blog! I traced you all from a posting left on my Orioles blog. I nearly laughed and almost gagged at the same time while looking at Richard Simmons...ugh

Keep up the good work. Been to Philly a few times as well, and I'll give you all a shout on my blog later today.

GM-Carson said...

That Richard Simmons pic is fabulous in every sense of the word. His nuts are about to flop out...funny and scary at the same time.

~Carson

The Omnipotent Q said...

Hi guys: Thanks for the nice comments you left at my blog, as I appreciate it very much. I like your blog as well.Great Richard Simmons pic! Would you like to swap links? I'll be happy to put one up for you. Let me know.

GM-Carson said...

Complete Bullshit- looks like Rod Barajas would be the starter...f'n told ya!

~Carson

GM-Carson said...

Bucco Rumors- looking for a left-handed power hitting 1st baseman has brought the Pirates interest to the Angels' Casey Kotchman.

Also on the Pirates radar are Trot Nixon, Ryan Klesko, Darin Erstad, and Michael Tucker.

~Carson

GM-Carson said...

Nominate us/vote for us @ http://2007.bloggies.com/

We want the award!

BloodStripes said...

You make me feel like dancing!

GM-Carson said...

Jump in the pit brotha and swing them arms!

michael said...

thats right! 2-step, 2-step, 2-step!

furiousBall said...

I nominated WSGMs, for the 2007 Weblog Awards, now don't forget about Blogitron and my blog for some lovin too.

GM-Carson said...

Furiousball- I already nominated your blog bro...it was one of the 3 entered along with BeerLeaguer.

That pic of Richard Simmons ranks up there with the "hairy monkey nipple". Speaking of which, I think it's time that pic resurfaced.

~Carson

YankeesChick said...

richard simmons may be my idol....

and to answer your question, that is indeed me

GM-Carson said...

carson - unless you have something specail planned, i have the phlashback tomorrow.

corey

Los said...

I began being a fan in 1979, the year the Pirates beat the O's to win the World Series. After 1980, I figured the Phils could do no wrong ... now, I'm wondering if they'll ever do it right again. Sigh.

Kaylee said...

I love the picture ans the blog:)

GM-Carson said...

I'm must be missing something because I just read the Phils are one of the teams interested in Tomo Ohka's services, as are the Pirates. I can understand the Buccos maybe wanting him on the cheap, but the Phils are set at starting pitching, actually they have surplus. So coupled with the recent rumor of David Wells to Philly, Gillick must be trying to get another starter in here so he can trade others aways (Lieber and Myers?).

~Carson