Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Swap?

The hot rumor on the hot stove is Jon Lieber to the Pittsburgh Pirates. Why Lieber? The Phillies have an extra starting pitcher and Lieber is the odd man out for multiple reasons (fat, expensive, disappointing, and old). Why the Pirates? The Buccos are looking for a short-term (1 year) proven veteran right-handed starter and have relievers, outfielders, and a catcher to offer (what the Phils need). So lets get down and dirty with some inner-state lovin'...keep it in the family, family of Phuccos that is.

Who could this swap include in return for Fatty Lieber? Since Andy Van Slyke, Spanky LaValliere, and Kent Tekulve aren't available, the Phils will have to focus their efforts elsewhere. Pirates available: Relievers- Mike Gonzalez, Damaso Marte, John Grabow, Matt Capps, and Salomon Torres, Catcher- Humberto Cota, and Outfielders- Nate McLouth, Chris Duffy, Jody Gerut.

Corey would love to see one fat bastard go (Lieber a sloppy 6'2" 236) and another fat bastard come in (Capps- 6'2" 240). Capps had a very solid season last year- 9 wins, 3.79 ERA, and 1.15 WHIP as a 22 year old right-handed reliever. Capps straight up for Lieber isn't enough for the Phils, so I think throwing in left-handed hitting outfielder Chris Duffy might get the deal done. Duffy showed promise as a rookie in '05 (.314 avg.), but regressed last season as a sophomore (.255). I know Mike Gonzalez is the sexy name because he had 24 saves last season, but he had arm problems that shut him down in September and that leaves me nervous of future ailments. Torres, Grabow, and Marte are decent, but not as young and as promising as Capps. Cota would be a decent 3rd catcher, but I'm confident that Ruiz and Coste can do an adequate job. McLouth and Gerut are at about the same talent level as Duffy, but I like Duffy's speed (26 stolen bases) as I'd prefer a pinch-runner that can also pinch-hit rather than Chris-fricken-Roberson.

What package would you propose?

~Carson

22 comments:

BENTZ said...

I like Duffy a lot. Capps was solid from what I saw, but in this pitching market, I'd rather see another reliever like Grabow thrown in. Are Duffy, Capps and Grabow too much for Lieber? Not sure - though I wonder if Texas can put together a better package including, perhaps Akinori Otsuka which would really make the Rangers look foolish for the Adrian Gonzalez-Chris Young to San Diego trade...

Duffy won the NL ROY award in 2007 on my MVP 2005 computer game last summer as I won my third consecutive World Series with the Buccos (I have a long-standing rule to rarely play video games with my actual favorite team). Then again, I also created myself and I had 83 home runs in 2007, so you can see how realistic this was...

GM-Carson said...

Bentz- are you a free agent? 83 homerun power is rare, in fact it only does exist in video games. I bet you could command 35-40 mil a year bro.

I like Capps a lot, and Capps is Corey's boy so I know he would look good in a Phils uni.

~Carson

BENTZ said...

Sure am!! With this off-season, $35-40 million per would definitely seem about right...

BENTZ said...

Then again, I'm not sure it was the 83 home runs or the back-to-back-to-back World Championships for the Pirates that is more unrealistic...

GM-Carson said...

Pirates and Phillies for the 2007 NL pennant, mark my words...or just laugh at me, which is fine too.

~Carson

chuckm said...

Eric Gagne tentative agreement with Texas: 1yr/$6 mil. Does that free up Otsuka? I really cant get too juiced about any Bucco trade option.

GM-Carson said...

Otsuka straight up for Lieber? Nah, I want more. Otsuka and Mahay for Lieber...now we're talkin'.

fans said...

Bobby Livingston joined the Phillies from Tampa Bay for cash

GM-Carson said...

Bobby Livingston is a 24 year old left-hander, that came from the Seattle organization. He pitched briefly for the M's last season. He was a starter in Triple A last year and had mediocre numbers. Picking him up for just cash is well worth it as he could be bullpen help or a spot starter in the wings at Ottawa next year.

~Carson

Maria said...

I'd like to trade for Justin Verlander, Johan Santana, and Vladamir Guerrero. If that's not too much to ask for.

BenJah said...

ok, i'm seeing the bucco trade options, and i have questions.

do you really think we can get an outfielder AND a reliever?? lieber's suckitudidness is well documented, and despite the current market, getting the buccos to pay all of lieber's 8mil salary is a lot to ask.

for gagne, at 1yr/6mil, do you think the phills should get in on that?? doesnt seem too bad, as long as it stays just for one year

Maria said...

I think Gagne wants to stay a closer so I don't think he wants to come here.

Los said...

How's about the Pirates throwing in that 1979 World Series trophy as well ... that should do it, right?

BloodStripes said...

Leiber for Capps and Duffy would keep me happy. Good trade I reckon.

Speaking of Phuccos. Who do you think is the greatest Phucco of them all?

furiousBall said...

Duffy and Capps for Lieber is decent. I don't think the Bucs would do it though. But let's trade for that 83 homeruns guy as long as he hits right handed to protect Ryan!

Bob D said...

Carson you need to check Bentz's computer for steriods before giving him $35 mil +. What position does he play and can he run?

And more importantly what will his fan club be called and is Furiousball the President of said fan club?

This has to be looked into before throwing all that $$$ his way. Then go back and talk to your friend Pat.

BENTZ said...

Right-handed hitting catcher...haha, PNC can be a launching pad!!

das411 said...

I would settle for one bullpen arm, seeing as Lieber's value to the Pirates is probably only what they will be able to get for him at the deadline. At this point he is just a transferable commodity, hopefully Gillick will be able to convert a right-handed starter into a right (or left, doesn't really matter) -handed reliever without too much difficulty.

And the greatest Phucco of all time is, without question, Joe Table.

BloodStripes said...

Jose Ramon Nova Mesa?

Yeah, good pick.

GM-Carson said...

I'm partial to Kent Tekulve as my favorite all-time Phucco because of his arm angle and glasses...classic.

Bentz's fan club (our new 83 homerun hitting right handed catcher to the tune of 35 mil a season)- Wendts Bentz and dress up like Norm from Cheers and just keeping taking beers from the vendors and say "put it on my tab".

I still think Lieber can land more than just a reliever.

I'm personally glad we didn't get in on the Gagne sweepstakes...too rich for my blood.

~Carson

A New Pirates Generation said...

Capps and Duffy for Lieber is wayyy too much. No way the Bucs do it--they can't afford to.

Pittsburghers feel like Marte for Lieber or Torres for Lieber. We might include a throw-in, too, but no one that's major league ready.

If the Bucs give up Duff, they're going to get a LH 1B in return--not an aging starter with one year left on his deal.

GM-Carson said...

Marte or Torres straight-up for a starting pitcher doesn't seem like enough for me. I would want more.