Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Hot Stove With A Twang

Here is my 2 cents on some of the rumors floating around...all to the tune of some outlaw country music. Why? Why not. Here goes:

Kerry Wood
Kris Kristofferson - "Sunday Mornin Coming Down"
Well I woke up Sunday morning,
With no way to hold my head that didn't hurt.
And the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad,
So I had one more for dessert.


Has there been a day that Wood has woken up with a way to hold his elbow that didn't hurt? This time, after throwing only20 innings for the Cubs in '06, Wood opted against shoulder surgery. He plans to return in 2007 as a reliever, because obviously, relief pitchers don't have to use their shoulder. A couple million for a relief pitcher that may or may not pitch. I don't know enough about the true status of his shoulder, but I'm wary of this rumor.

Mark Derosa
Johnny Cash - "It Aint Me Babe"
Go away from my window
Leave at your own chosen speed
I'm not the one you want, babe
I'm not the one you need
But it ain't me babe
No, no, no, it ain't me babe

See if this sounds familiar: light-hitting infielder follows up a few seasons hitting about .240 with a breakout offensive year. He then cashes in a free-agent contract and couldn't hit .300 in a slow pitch softball league. That is the story of No-hit Nunez, but could repeat itself this year with Mark Derosa. The guy hit .245 with 17 homers in the 3 years prior to last season, and he is the answer at 3B? Just because he went to Penn doesn't mean he'll be as good as Doug Glanville.

Pat Burrell
George Jones - "I Just Don't Give a Damn"
There are those who'd like to change the way I'm living,
it seams they just don't like me the way I am,
tomorrow I may live the way their thinking,
oh but tonight I just don't give a damn.

Burrell won't change the way he lives, and he won't change the way he plays, which is severly inconsistant. I not going to comment on any specific Burrell rumors, but as for trading him, I wouldn't be against it. Simply put, he isn't worth the money he will be make this year. Remember, this is the same guy who spent the half of the second half sitting on the bench. Is he still going to have leg and wrist injuries? Which Burrell is going to show up this year? If he can be replaced by Soriano, I would do in a heartbeat. I "just don't give a damn" about his OPS, either, but that is another arguement...

Gavin Floyd / Ryan Madson
Williams Hank Jr. - "Liquor to Like Her"
It takes a whole lot of liquor to like her
Thats why I drink all the time
It takes a whole lot of liquor to like her
But when I'm liquored up I like her just fine

It takes a whole lot of liquor to attach value to these two. I'm speaking of course about the Floyd/Madson/Lieber for Sheffied. There are many arguements against this deal. Sheffield is old, his is expensive, he is injury prone, he should only be a DH, he's not that good anyway, he wants and extension, etc. But no way can I accept anything remotely close to "we can't give up Floyd or Madson." ??? This isn't 2004. In '04 you could have traded these guys for tons of talent. Now, I can' believe the Yankees would want these guys. In fact, I don't think they do. After a disasterous major league stint this year, Floyd's ERA in Scranton was over 4. You all saw how he handled pressure and stress. Think New York would be a good fit? And for Madson, '04 seems to be a fluke. That high 80's fastball has looked pretty sweet to opposing batters that last two years, and I look for that trend to continue. My hold-ups with the Sheffield deal have more to do with age/durability/money than what garbage they send to NY (except the Donut Eater, love the Donut Eater...)

Aramis Ramirez
David Allan Coe - "Take This Job And Shove It"
You better not try to stand in my way
As im a walking out the door.
Take this job and shove it
I ain't working here no more.

I wish this is what A-Ram would say to Chicago, but I doubt it. I think A-Ram will sign early, and back with the Cubs. Now, how do you say "take this job and shove it" in Japanese?

That's if for now

Corey

25 comments:

GM-Carson said...

good post...i have those tunes playing in my head now. classic country is good stuff.

a-ram is a pipedream, i realize this. still think he's the perfect solution.

wood will most likely not be worth the risk.

derosa is not going to repeat his carer year of '06, so buyer beware.

floyd/madson- bye butt-boppers!

burrell stay unlessideal situation arises.

if schilling returns, we could use cash's "when the man comes around"

~carson

GM-Carson said...

more rumors:

1. Akinori Iwamura not in phils plans for 3rd. he might be a huge costly bust.

2. gillick is hinting heavily that rowand will be kept. great, now we must suffer through his hacking and horrid arm, instead of trading him for something useful.

3. helms name is in heavy rotation in the phils blogsphere.

4. wolf may end up in houston...all my ex's live in texas.

~carson

GM-Carson said...

derosa, soriano, and nixon are being predicted by mlbtraderumors to end up in philly...gotta love the offseason!

GM-Carson said...

"Don't rock the jukebox,
I wanna hear some Jones.
Cause my heart ain't ready,
For the Rolling Stones.
I dont feel like rocking,
Since my baby's gone.
So don't rock the jukebox,
Play me a country song."

das411 said...

Ugh, Soriano makes Burrell look like a good deal.

Maybe Gillick is keeping Rowand until he breaks his face again and we can just start Victo anyways?

GM-Carson said...

gillick has hinted that the phils will do everything in their power to get soriano. i hope this is a bluff. soriano would look good in the phils lineup, but his price is too rich for my blood. if he's signed it will handcuff the organization in the future if we land him, like not having money to keep utley, howard, or myers.

~carson

GM-Carson said...

on sunday i did a piece on here about "all my ex's live in texas" referring to our past pitchers like millwod, padilla, tejada, eaton, buckholtz, and duckworth. didn't think i'd have to include art howe to that list, as he just accepted the rangers bench coach job.

more bad news- manuel said he's fine with nunez at 3rd next season...yuck!

~carson

Los said...

Soriano makes Burrell look like a good deal???? Seriously????

I know, I know - people are gonna talk about his RBI production. Obviously, you've never taken into account that leadoff hitters don't get as many RBI's as others, and if Soriano was hitting, say 5th, he'd probably increase his RBI totals by 20 percent at least.

Geez, you Burrell supporters really make me scratch my head. Does he have compromising pictures of you guys as blackmail?

GM-Carson said...

if there were compromising pics of me, i'd post them on the web for all to see and get a good chuckle out of.

rumor has it gillick will go as high as 6 years 100 million for soriano...he's not worth that!

~carson

Bob D said...

I notimate Howe for best Phillies coach 2006!
Hopefully Manuel is down playing the 3B situation and they intend to bring in a good player there. Remember alot of the stuff said over the last couple of weeks to bring the value of some players down to make it easier to sign and other up to increase their trade value. Gillick is smart enough not to show his hand yet. Some of this has been bluffs to see where other teams stand.

goDuke said...

I think the Phils should overspend if necessary on Soriano. I think you plug him into the 3,4,5 with Utley and Howard and Phils are looking real good for years to come. I agree with Los on Burrell... definitely not a good deal any way you look at it. Why pay someone that much money for him to sit half a season. I'd rather overpay Soriano knowing that he's another stud for the stable.

GM-Carson said...

"another stud for the stable", sounds kinky.

i'm dying with anticipation, to see how the phils phill their holes...also sounds kinky.

goDuke said...

Nice.

GM-Carson said...

"you Burrell supporters really make me scratch my head. Does he have compromising pictures of you guys"

i hope i'm not getting lumped in with "those people." i love burrell for his womanizing and his boozing, but like i said in the post, he's WAY overpaid, despite his marvelous OPS...

corey

BenJah said...

my problem with soriano over someone like sheffield (or others) is that i'd much rather pay heavy for one-two year(s) than pay sMEGA-heavy for 7.

geez, all the country music on this site must prove the old adage -- Pennsylvania has philly on one side, pittsburgh on the other, and alabama in the middle!

GM-Carson said...

benjah, as ice cube would say, "check yourself before you wreck yourself."

we here at WSBGM's are finely cultured in all of the fine musical arts (and by all i mean punk, classic rock, old school rap, and oulaw country music. carson also likes michael jackson. seriously. michael jackson.)

we are also very sensative about any sort of hillbilly comments. we are not charlie manuel. do not call us names. if offends my wife...and my sister...and my cousin. and she's pissed right now.

corey

Maria said...

Off topic but Ryan Howard won Player of the year and NL Outstanding player of the year. He also won MVP of the NBP-MLB series.

GM-Carson said...

maria, real phillies news is not wanted here, can't you see we're talking random free agent rumors and country music?

MVP is next for Howard.

corey

BenJah said...

yo corey -- hey i know! i've been reading long enough - just bustin balls!

HOT RUMOR: lieber, floyd and cash to indians for andy marte

GM-Carson said...

benjah, i'm still hurt...i might have to drown my sorrows in chewing tobacco and moonshine...

wow, they just want rid of lieber and floyd in the worst way. i'll miss the Donut Eater. i'll pop a Krispy Kreme on the day he gets traded, maybe drop another on the sidewalk, you know, one for my homies.

corey

das411 said...

Floyd and Lieber for Marte?? Are you sure that's not for Aaron Boone?

The part that boggles my mind Los is that Gillick has made such an effort to get out from under the huge long-term deals he inherited (Thome, Abreu, now Burrell) and he's going to turn right back around and shell out $100m for Soriano WITH a no-trade?? This doesnt make any sense at all to me. Sure he will pick up more RBI batting between Howard and Utley than he did leading off in DC, but like Carson and benjah say, why overpay so much to fill one semi-hole (which isn't really even a hole if we keep Burrell) when they can use all that $$ to address 3B, RF, C, bullpen AND rotation?

Seems to me it HAS to be a bluff, but hey, I voted for Santorum so what do I know? :D

GM-Carson said...

floyd and lieber for andy marte...horrible trade for the phils if it goes through. i'd much rather have sheffield, plus we'd be ridding ourselves of madson too.

benjah- i may be a hillbilly, but i'm one who like his music hard fast and melodic with a bit of old school rhymes thrown in...you better recognize!

howard is awesome. i can only hope he duplicates this production for years to come.

~carson

Los said...

das411 - I hear ya. I'm not saying I want Soriano here on his terms, and I think a lot of this stuff coming out on Soriano is just rumor at this point, anyway. Gillick is NOT going to show his hand right now, and he has never been one to overpay.

goDuke said...

Gillick won't give a full no-trade clause anyway. He might offer 6-8 teams that Soriano wouldn't allow a trade to. Unfortunately Burrell is a hole in the lineup not a semi-hole. All a pitcher needs is a slider and he's done. No one in MLB takes more called 3rd strikes. I say spend the money on Soriano... worse comes to worse, we can deal him in a few years... since Gillick doesn't do full no-trade clauses, the Phils will have a way to deal him somewhere if it came to that.

GM-Carson said...

gillick has gone on record as to saying afull no-trade clause is a deal breaker", but would consider a limited no-trade clause instead.

it really looks like we'll have derosa or helms at 3rd next season. that's a shame because i'd rather see gillick fork over the big contract to a-ram than soriano...but at least it appears we won't have no-hit nuni manning 3rd every game.

~carson