Thursday, November 30, 2006

Blockbuster

Pat Gillick has been blowing up my pager all afternoon. I told him not to call when I'm working, but he said he had an urgent message. When I finally got the chance to speak to him he was down right giddy on the phone. I thought Rich Dubee may have passed along some of the "good stuff" to him, but he was happy because he'd pulled off the blockbuster of all deals. No, he didn't cut a deal with the Hall-of-Fame committee to allow Pete Rose his rightful spot in Cooperstown, he did one better...Manny Ramirez is going to be a member of the 2007 Philadelphia Phillies.

How the heck did Patty G get the Bosox to surrender Manny to us? Fact is Manny wore out his welcome in Beantown and Wonderboy Theo Epstein was desperate to rid the Red Sox of him, so he took the pest deal with MLB ready talent available, and that deal happened to be presented by none other than Sir Patrick Gillick. Pat Burrell, Flash Gordon, and Gio Gonzalez are going to Boston in return for Manny Ramirez straight up. Boston still has a productive LF in Burrell now, plus they got the closer they need in Flash, and a solid starting pitching prospect out of the deal. The Phillies get one of the best offensive forces in baseball over the past decade and will serve as amazing protection for bombardier Ryan Howard. Good stuff!

Gillick wasn't done creaming his pants yet, he still had more transactions to tell me about...good thing too, because I was worried about not having a closer of our own. He informed me that he traded Aaron Rowand and Ryan Madson to the other colored Sox of the American League for Big Boy Bobby Jenks...closer crisis averted. Sweet, so now we don't have to worry about Rowand committing fielding suicide and we have a kick-ass closer from the White Sox to boot.

Then something occurred to me...our outfield is now Manny, Vic, and Conine! Gillick gave me a chill-pill with the news that he signed Trot Nixon to a 2 year 14 million dollar contract with an option year for 2009. Then to put the cherry on top of this whole day, he added set-up man David Weathers for 2 years 6.25 million. So, in the end we obtained Manny Ramirez, Bobby Jenks, Trot Nixon, and David Weathers and lost Pat Burrell, Tom Gordon, Gio Gonzalez, Aaron Rowand, and Ryan Madson...I'll take my 2007 World Series ring now.

~Carson

30 comments:

GM-Carson said...

I hope this post doens't ruin any credibility that I have in the blogsphere (as if I had any to begin with). I just did this for fun and to stir shit up.

~Carson

TrekMedic251 said...

Credibility??

j/k,....

Gillick is obviously thinking long-term, not quick-fix like Ed Wade.

GM-Carson said...

i will never accuse ed wade of thinking...

corey

BloodStripes said...

On your recomendation Drama Queen I purchased a copy of the John Kruk book "I aint an athlete lady..."

It arrived today from the Inner city youth bookstore in Philadelphia. Ordered it from Amazon. Its actually a signed copy. My only piece of signed Phillies memorabilia. Cool. Look forward to a good read.

GM-Carson said...

Kruk's book is a great read. It kept me entertained the whole way through. He's a funny guy, that says what he's feeling/thinking.

If you could do the deals I suggested would you?

~Carson

GM-Carson said...

Phils are still looking at signing Borowski to a 1 year deal (ok with me). Gillick is still trying to get Weathers too. If he can't get either or both of them he's looking to make a deal during next week's GM meetings.

~Carson

BloodStripes said...

If you could do the deals I suggested would you?

Do you mean in your origainal post Drama?

Fucked if I know mate. All I know is I reckon it would take some balls to do those deals you mentioned in your hot stove report. Because Burrell is now cheap and you like him. Flash has good stuff left in him and I reckon Gio has a good future. Dunno mate. Long term I like our three. But what the fuck do I know. Ha!

Gillick will make some sort of move. Can we give him the benefit of doubt and trust his good track record? On this side of the un-critical Phillies world. I think we can. He is sage in the ways of winning, would you agree? He has more rings than we have celebrated and I want him to win another.

GM-Carson said...

I would trade Burrell, Flash, and Gio for Manny. Manny, Howard, and Utley in a row is flat-out dangerous. I like Burrell, gives me good things to blog about and Flash isn't shot yet, but I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to get one of the greatest offensive forces in the past 25 years of baseball.

~Carson

BloodStripes said...

Come to think of it. You are fucken absolutely right. Trade away my friend and bring on the class of 07.

Thats a pretty bloody good 4 for 5.

BloodStripes said...

I missed ya by 2 minutes. I posted before I read your reply. 'Cause in the end thats a "Thats a pretty bloody good 4 for 5".

USBAGM!

BloodStripes said...

Its midnight madness over here bro. Big day at work, few beers, lovin' life. Always dig thinkin' of the Phillies Red and White.

Happy family, happy days!

BloodStripes said...

"Manny, Howard, and Utley". Throw in the base stealing and fielding threats of J-Roll and Victory Vic and you have some sort of major threat goin' on. Big Phat threat. Minor Threat no more, but a big spankin' Major Threat. Bring it on GM.

GM-Carson said...

BloodStripes- are you drunk? If so...awesome! If not, then you're acting funny. Either way it's entertaining.

michael said...

if those trades could be pulled off, that would be unbelievable. i think we would have a parade just for that. i read an article though in one of the papers that it would take jroll atleast to get manny because the bosox need a SS. i dont 100% buy it because stranger things have happened and there have been a lot of trades to where you think its going to take a lot of high talent to bring in some big name and usually its not.

BloodStripes said...

I suppose you could say I've had a few. Victoria Bitter my friend.

http://www.fosters.com.au/enjoy/beer/victoria_bitter.htm

Download the theme songs mate and get thirsty.

Just one of those nights mate.

If Gillick made those trades would he hold his credibility? I would think so. Your thoughts have merit. I think they are good moves. If possible, why bloody not?

GM-Carson said...

the "blockbuster" deals that I proposed aren't necessarily realistic, but who knows?

furiousBall said...

This would be great. I'm worried about the Phils signing another gimpy pitcher with Borowski. From the sounds of it, backing off and doing one year might be an OK risk. I'd like to see Weathers in red pinstripes more.

Bob D said...

I can't find these trades anywhere on the web. Are you sure that Gillick didn't demand Boston to take Nunez as well and make the trade fizzle like his hitting?

GM-Carson said...

Boston actually wanted Nunez in the deal for Manny, but Gillick said that would be a deal breaker. Good thing Pat kept No-Hit Nunez too because he's going to be the Phils 2007 MVP. Ok, Rich Dubee slipped me some of the good shit, because I'm living in an alternate universe.

~Carson

GM-Carson said...

Rumors (that are hard to believe)- the Phils are considering Pat Borders (43) and Benito Santiago (41) to be the 3rd catcher next season. They would actually catch in Ottawa and come to Philly if needed. I love the idea, it would give me plenty to blog about. Not to mention if Borders caught Moyer, the combined battery age would be 87...holy crap!

~Carson

michael said...

i don't see that happening at all..even though gillick at times like guys that can also play in the old timers game, i think he wants to keep this team under the age of 40 (aside from pitching of course). i think piazza is more of a legitimate rumor than those two foagies (sp?).

GM-Carson said...

dude, i'd take benito back if he's juiced up again!

michael said...

and only if hes juiced..41 though? NO WAY is that guy 41 maybe 61. heres some flashback or look to the future?

http://dee-nee.com/wiki/index.php/Image:SantiagoPhillies.JPG

GM-Carson said...

rumors- just read more about a 1 year deal with borowski. continued interest in weathers, and still checking out batista for the bullpen. if they could sign batista cheap, he'd be a 6th starter in the event someone went down in the rotation.

~carson

skeeter said...

VB bloodstripes? I was XXXX man myself

GM-Carson said...

i'm a miller high life fan myself.

corey loves all kinds of beer.

~carson

BloodStripes said...

Considering you were in Queensland Skeeter I am not surprised you were drinking XXXX. A very Queensland drop.

BloodStripes said...

Sorry for my complete and utter stupidity 8 hours ago and for my complete disregard for etiquette with all that swearing. Dumb Aussie! As you would say DQ, my ass was lit! Enjoying the weekend. Wooo!

I'm itching for Gillick to make some moves on a bullpen arm or two. Lets go Pat.

GM-Carson said...

Bloodstripes- your drunk ass was very amusing. Don't worry about the language, it adds to the comedy in most situations. Besides, we've been known to swear here and there too. It's all good bro.

~Carson

BloodStripes said...

Thanks mate. I think I was getting a bit carried away, but it was alot of fun.