Thursday, October 19, 2006

Phillies Phlashback Phridays: McElroy & Frohwirth

Let's kick it back to '89 where Chuck McElroy and Todd Frohwirth chucked some pitches back on the Vet's mound. Chuck McElroy was a rookie in 1989 for the Phils and sported an ERA of 1.74, albeit 10 innings. He wasn't a Phillie all but a handful of games the following season before making a career out of being a left-handed reliever. Chuck kept it old school gansta though, with those Run DMC specs. Seriously, look at the pic and tell me that Chuck didn't moonlight as a member of Run DMC.You know he likes to chill out, smoke a blunt, drink a 40 of Olde E, eat some KFC while listening to some George Clinton and the P-Funk All-Stars. Chuck gave the Phillies a much needed infusion of soul back in the day, a tradition that is being carried on by J-Roll and Ryan Howard on today's version of the Phils.



Todd Frohwirth was the anti-soul brotha. He tried to be McElroy's homeboy, swearing that the "Fro" in his name made him a quarter black, but McElroy knew better. Frohwirth even tried to speak gansta, saying his last name was actually to be "Throw-worth" but he chose to pronounce it with a bit of funk. Still Chuck didn't buy into this obvious identity crisis, and told Todd he was simply "white and nerdy" and more white than a fluorescent light. Truth is, you know Todd lives in his momma's basement playing with his Star Wars figurines, waxing poetic about Dungeons and Dragons strategies while listening to Stephen Hawking's biography on tape. But through all his struggles to fit in, Todd had a fine year in '89, racking up a little over 60 innings pitched and a 3.59 ERA.








"They see me strollin'. They laughin', and rollin' their eyes 'cause, I'm so white n' nerdy. Just because I'm white n' nerdy. Just because I'm white n' nerdy. All because I'm white n' nerdy. Holy cow I'm white n' nerdy. I wanna bowl with the gangsters. But oh well it's obvious I'm white n' nerdy. Think I'm just too white n' nerdy. Think I'm just too white n' nerdy. I'm just too white n' nerdy. Look at me I'm white n' nerdy!" (Weird Al- White n' Nerdy)

~Carson

P.S. If you were offended by my stereotypical comments, then you totally missed the joke/concept.

13 comments:

BloodStripes said...

McElroy's face has Run-DMC written all over it. I bet he had addidas cleats.

GM-Carson said...

It actually uncanny how much Chuck McElroy looks like Run DMC...good stuff!

"I'm the king of rock, there is none higher, sucker mc's will call me sire, and I won't stop rockin' 'til I retire!"

BloodStripes said...

Hahaha! Great band.

Excuse my non US ass but whats Old E? 40 ounces? Of liquid? To us down under that looks like 1.25 litres. We got metric. That would be 2 pints.

Bob D said...

Is this a belated "TAG TEAM TUESDAY" They were awesome pitchers. HA! Who's next? Howabout Ron Jones and Kevin Jordan?

Bloodstripes, I didn't know you were from the land "down under". How in the world did you get into baseball let alone a Phils fan? (I'm taking the fan part for granted since you post here regularly)

Los said...

Ah, back when rap was good.

GM-Carson said...

BloodStripes- Olde English is beer that the gangsters like to drink. A 40 ounce of Olde E will blow your mind...so says LL Cool J.

GM-Carson said...

Olde English 800 (Old E) is a malt liquor. you can buy a forty for about 2 dollars. it tastes like really strong beer that somebody put a packet of sweet n low in...nasty sweet. it's abv (alcohol by volume) varies depending on where in the country it is sold (much stronger out west) but it is at least 5.9%, which is enough to get ya drunk. the correct way to drink it is with the top unscrewed and the bottle in the bag.

also, carson is a HUGE beastie boys fan, and he should know the song "brass monkey" *you know, that funky monkey...) is about Olde E. take an olde E, drink a quarter of it, fill it to the top with sunny delight and chug. that, my friends, is a brass monkey...

here for the info, bitches...

corey

GM-Carson said...

oh, by the way, i think the brothers pronounce it "Todd Frowirf"

keep it real

corey

GM-Carson said...

"Keep it real...yeah real f*@kin' dumb!" Chris Rock

BloodStripes said...

Thanks for the info boys. Sounds like like Old E is a rough and ready, cheap and nasty beer at 2 dollars. Just what I need. I would really like to try one. And a brass monkey too, just for the great song. The old wino' look hey Corey with the bottle in the paper bag. Good look. Ha!

BloodStripes said...

Bob D, when I was a little tacker, knee high to a grasshopper I knew about baseball but one day found a baseball digest at the newsagency. On the cover was Mike Schmidt and inside was a great story on him. I realised how good a player he was and instantly chose him as my favourite. From that day on I became a Phillie Phanatic. Back in those days the World Series was shown on TV down here.(no pay TV here then). So I even got to see the 1980 world championship. What a joy it was!

Maria said...

Run DMC=my life.

GM-Carson said...

Maria- we love us some Run DMC over here at WSBGM's. It's great how the Phillies and entertainment have brought us all together.