Thursday, August 10, 2006

True Grit


For the most part of yesterday's game I was pissed off and yelling at the television, telling Chris Wheeler to "shut the hell up!" (on his birthday of all days). Then all of a sudden my anguish was erased by one inning. The "new look" Phillies came back on the Braves and showed their gritty side. I love a team that plays with some cajones! As much as I want the Phils to get the Wild Card, I want to see them play good baseball even more. I feel the rest of this season can be a success whether they make the playoffs or not, considering how things looked back in July. I want to see this team come together, form a new identity, and have some young-bloods mature for next season, and if we get the Wild Card, hallelujah!

Wolf obviously is still not at full strength, and probably will not be until next season. However, he pitched well enough yesterday, and should continue to mend during the next 2 months. It will be interesting to see what the Phils do with him in the offseason. I'd like him to stick around, but not for a hefty contract. I'm thinking 1 year deal that is incentive laden.


Chase Utley continues to personify everything I love about baseball (smarts, hustle, ballsy, aggressive, power). Yesterday's bases clearing double further solidified my opinion of him, then he goes and tops that by stealing a run from the Braves by scoring from 2nd on a groundout...flippin' awesome!

~Carson

9 comments:

GM-Carson said...

True Identity: Corey=Stubborn & Blind

Carson=Drama Queen

Los said...

I'm not sure what the Phils should do with Wolf. Left-handers are valuable in the MLB, but Wolf has been injury laden the past few seasons, and he's never lived up to expectations. I wonder what his market value will be.

GM-Carson said...

Wolf's market value is yet to be determined. If he continues to build strength and pitch ok for the remainder of this season, then I'm sure some team may be willing to hand out a 3 year pact to him. I'd be very reluctant to go anything more than 1. If I was GM, and as my blog title states...should be, I would offer him a 1 year deal for $3 million with incentives based on innings pitched/games started, then have an option year for '08 at $5-6 million.

~Carson

dane said...

Wolf owes the Phillies because he has madee 18 million dollars the past two years and only has pitched in the first half last year and the second half this year. Johnny Marz on PGL said that sometimes in situations like this a player will come back on a one year deal for less money to repay the team. Hopefully that is Wolf because I would like to see him return but not for an outrageous price.

joe said...

Wolf is also a "company man" so to speak, and is very grateful to the Phillies org.

He'll be back next year, at a discount.

I think that he could be the pitching staff father-figure....

GM-Carson said...

Joe- I like that "pitching staff father-figure"...sounds good to me. But that's assuming we can rid ourselves of Lieber.

I really hope Wolf feels strongly enough about the organization that he does indeed give a "home town discount" of sorts.

~Carson

Whelkman said...

Lieber's more of a grandfather figure.

GM-Carson said...

*of note: Bobby Abreu finally hit a fricken homerun...that makes "9" for the slugger! First in 42 games I believe...wow what power?!

Whelkman said...

Don't forget: Happy Birthday, Sal Fasano!!! Love your 'stache!!!