Thursday, August 17, 2006

Break on through...


It's time the Phils break on through to the other side. The other side of .500 that is. As of today, their record stands at 59-60...about as middle-of-the-road as you can get. Since the Trade Deadline, Purge, Salary Dump, Awakening, or whatever you want to refer to that time as, the Phils have started to make believers out of their beleaguered fanbase. This may all end up being some colossal tease, but I for one am enjoying it. I'm just glad the games still mean something at this juncture. With that said, I will not fully jump on the Wild Card bandwagon until the Phils reach .500 then break that barrier for good for the season.

I believe in giving credit where credit is due. For example, the Safety Dance is the best song of all time! Around the Phillies blogsphere many have been referring to Jon Lieber as a fat, slobbish, donut-eatin'-Sunnabitch. Well, if he's fat, so am I, because we're pretty much the same size. And if he's chowing down on some pastries, I can commiserate...I have a soft spot for the sweets too, I believe they call them man-boobs. Over his last 3 starts, Lieber has pitched 24 innings and given up 3 earned runs...pretty damn good!

Legal Matters:
*Bribe- the Philadelphia police department and MLB front office are spearheading an investigation into the alleged bribing of opposing pitchers that face Abe Nunez. My gut feeling...he's guilty!
*Shoulders- Aaron Rowand has filed a missing persons report on his vanished shoulders. Hey, Aaron, I bet your neck ate them!
*Discrimination- Brian Sanches has complained to the Phillies brass that Ruben Amaro Jr. has been teasing him calling him "fake-o" and "poser", because of his lack of "z" on his name. Discrimination has no place in the world today, come Amaro, get with the times!

~Carson

20 comments:

GM-Carson said...

Going Hollywood? Rumor has it that Chris "East-vs-West" Coste has been offered a movie deal for his current book he's working on about his toils in the minors. Let's hope they get a real actor to play his part, rather than a Freddie Prinze Jr.!

Los said...

I hope Lieber can continue his ways. If he can give them solid outings from here-on-out, maybe they'll have a chance, and the Phils won't feel bad spending the $7 million a year on him (that's a lot of donuts).

GM-Carson said...

los- what, no raining on our parade today? I'm sure you were more than happy to be wrong on this occasion.

joe said...

the coster is being given a lot of mesia attention, finally... and apparently, he's keeping his head about himself.

just keep hitting the cover off the ball, chris!

lets hope that mathieson can keep the mets baffled...

Che said...

Jon Lieber's girth can only be taken as a compliment. He must just like his Philadelphia food. I'd show you a picture from when he was a Pirate if I could, but I can't find any.

GM-Carson said...

More Legal Matters:
*Theft- Burrell reported his swing stolen, then forgot he gave it to a stripper while he was in a drunken stupor.
*Deformation of Character- David Bell-vs-the defendant WSBGM's...don't worry, we hired a real good lawyer!

BloodStripes said...

I did'nt think Mathieson could hold the mets. It was time they woke up. The young man is still struggling. Lucky the pen is rested. Meanwhile Pat is copping it from the crowd for the infield pop-up. Hey I heard that stripper with Pats swing is doing a new baseball routine.

GM-Carson said...

This series was a success despite today's struggles. I'm just glad the Model-Dictator pitched another scoreless inning...another chapter in his Legend and Lore!

That stripper Pat tipped with his swing instead of a dollar bill now goes by the ultra-sexy stage name "Stroke".

Mathieson should not start another game...time for him to go to the bullpen or back to Scranton. Time for Mazone, he of 2.05 ERA in Triple A.

BloodStripes said...

Yeah I agree. Mathieson has had a chance. Madson was better! Anyway the 5th starter spot is very soft right now. May as well try to strenghten it with 40 odd games left and WC berth up for grabs.

LOL, "Stroke". hahaha, This is getting out of hand but i hope the holes in her swing are'nt as big as Pats. Does she go long?

GM-Carson said...

People I don't want to see be the Phillies 5th starter- Gavin Floyd, Scott Mathieson, Eude Brito, Ryan Howard, Chad Ogea, Paul Abbot, Jose Canseco, Mark Lemke, Brooks Kieschnick, Rev. Jesse Jackson, 2-Pac, John Lennon, Melissa Ethridge, or Stalin!

Lake Fred said...

Not Stalin! Would Castro be OK?

GM-Carson said...

If Castro can start I'm all for it, but even in my imaginary blog-world here, I know that will never happen.

Today's loss sucks because it means we're once again below .500 looking up. When the hell are they going to bust through that stupid barrier?!

Che said...

Don't let Che Guevara's asthma fool you. He throws a nasty sinker.

BloodStripes said...

Once again the .500 mark proves elusive to the Phils. With 1 win to get there they have fallen short many times this year. The 4 good starters ought to get us there over the next few days. Thats if you count Myers as being good at the moment. To wrap up a series 3-1 over NY, we gotta be happy. Re-group Phils. Time to mash the Nats.

What has Castro done previously elsewhere? Starter, reliever? I know nothing of the young man except his 13 strong innngs in the bigs.

GM-Carson said...

I believe Fabio has been used mostly in relief during his minor league days. I've seen the kid pitch a few times now, and I don't give a shit if he's Rule 5 or not, he's decent. Manuel is just an old stick in the mud when it comes to changing his style.

*Nunez hit streak up to 9 games, I hope the FEDS don't bust him for bribing the opposing pitchers until after the season!

GM-Carson said...

If you guys want some real laughs, go check out the pic I posted on our other blog, morehardball.

The Rev said...

If only the Phillies beat up on the Reds the way they beat up on the Mets.

they beat up the wrong team this week.

GM-Carson said...

Smokin Steve- correction, they did beat up on the Reds, the Reds just happened to beat back.

Steeltown Mike said...

Sorry about the Phils tonight, guys. At least the Pirates didn't lose...

Would you be interested in linking to my blog and/or participating in the "Pirates 'Baby Pool'" I have set up on it?

Shoot me an e-mail or a comment on my blog if interested.

GM-Carson said...

On the very fine day of August 22, 2006, the Phillies have finally "Broke on through to the other side", now 63-62...congrats!