Pat Gillick arrived last year following the dubious reign of Ed Wade. Many labeled him as a "savior" but he hasn't done anything in the last 1/2 year that would justify that sentiment. So how much blame should Gillick get for this debacle? First, let's look at what he has done:
- Traded Jim Thome to White Sox for Aaron Rowand, Gio Gonzalez, Dan Haigwood - could he have gotten more for Thome? I don't know. Would rather have a 3B or SP but CF was need (I guess...)
- Traded Jason Michaels to Cleveland for Art Rhodes - Michaels was destined to go and Phils needed BP help. Rhodes has been bad, but overall deal was not that bad
- Traded Vicente Padilla to Texas for Ricard Rodriquez - this happened before WSBGM's was created so I haven't said anything this before, but I hated it. Despite Padilla's flaws, he was at the least a 4th/5th starter or potentially solid bullpen hand. Gillick basically gave him away. Uncacceptable.
- Signed Abraham Nunez, Alex Gonzalez, Sal Fasano, David Dellucci - as a Pirate fan, I know what Nunez was all about (ughh); Gonzalez = who cares; Fasano is a younger, less jerkish Todd Pratt, besides, we already have an $8 million catcher; Dellucci is LH bat and backup outfielder, nothing wrong here
- Signed Adam Bernero - he shouldn't be starting, but with Myers, Lieber, Floyd gone and Brito unable get anyone out, they are running out of options.
- Traded Dan Haigwood to Texas for Fabio Castro - time will tell on this one.
- Failed to trade Abreu or Burrell at any time
Has Gillick made this team appreciably better? No. Has he made the team appreciably worse? No. The difference between this team and last years team - worse bullpen, worse starting pitching, more wife beating.
The biggest problem with Gillick is that he hasn't changed this team enough. Specifically, he needs (needed) to trade the corner outfielders. However, he has been here less than one year. A single rade deadine has yet to pass. There is still time for Gillick to make some changes. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt at this point because I can't pretend to know he is dealing with behind the scenes (trade offers or lack thereof, limitations in payroll, etc.) But if July comes and goes and this team is no terrifically different or terrifically better, I may be calling for Gillicks head. We gave Ed Wade almost a decade to prove he was incompetant, I think we can give Pat Gillick one year...but possibly not much more than that.
I was adequately distracted by the Mr. Belvedere theme song. I walked around for two days singing "You drop kick your jacket, as you came through the door..." so I will continue the trend with the theme song to another great show, Perfect Strangers:
Since Adam Bernero crapped out last night, is it time to give Balki Bartokomous a shot? When the Phils are getting beat by Ty Taubenheim, just sing to yourself "Standing tall, on the wings of my dream. Rise and fall, on the wings of my dream."