Saturday, June 24, 2006

"A Sad Time" & "Here's to Jimmy Anderson"

Jimmy Buffett said it best during Margaritavile:

I don't know the reason,
I've been here all season,
Nothing to show but this brand new tattoo...

Well, I don't have a tattoo, unless you count the black and blue marks all over my soul...

Between the Phillies and the Pirates, this is turning out to be one of the worst seasons in recent PA baseball history. Both teams are underachieving, and considering expectations, that is quite an accomplishment.

I've seen 90% of the Phils games this year, and there is no doubt in my mind that they have gone USPS on us and are just mailing it in. The Brett Myers incident is proverbial straw, and my back just cracked on this season...

As for the Pirates, I can't see many of their games, so I can't comment on their play too much. I'm going off of stats, opinions of family members who do get Fox Sports Pittsburgh, and bucsdugout.com. And it doesn't look or sound good. A team going nowhere, who's only decent young players are being blocked by over-the-hill vets, undersperforming young starters, and the worst GM in baseball.
--------------------------------------------------------
Speaking of bucsdugout, they mentioned our good friend Jimmy Anderson and his horrendous 2001 season. I was big fan of the big southpaw. It seemed he pitched every time I went to a game between '00 and '02. My dad and I had a running joke that he couldn't make it past the 5th inning because the post-game spread was put out in the 6th and he wanted to be first in line. I swear he pitched a game in '01 with bar-b-q sauce stains on his jersey. He's been out of baseball since '04, compiling 25-47 record, but he is not forgotten. It is guys like Jimmy Anderson, a fat, out of shape, lazy, soft-throwing, lefty that will be in the hearts of Pirate fans forever...because we haven't had anyone good to remember since Jeff King left...

Corey

1 comment:

GM-Carson said...

Dude why the hell do we ever bother blogging about these two teams?!

~Carson